What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break out star for 2018?

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Even in that Storm game Jennings did some good things but he did some bad things as well in that game from memory...... his defence must improve as must his ability under the high ball if he's to stay on the wing....

Against Canberra in round 21 I think it was on the right wing he was shocking.....

In fact there are more games I can recall where he was far more ordinary than good.....

Let's see if he's learnt his lessons in the new year....
Yeah until those last two games I was calling for him to be moved into the forward pack.

He did well against the Storm and the Eels though and I think with a strong defender like Hymel Hunt inside him I think he could go well next year.

That being said, if Jesse Arthars trains well it wouldn't surprise me to see him start the year in place of Jennings.

Dogmatix

Juniors
Player stats from the U20s games suggest that both Jesse Arthars and Jesse Martin were only average performers in the U20s this season. So both are more likely to be playing for the Bears than the NRL

Fuimaono and Braidon Burns had clearly better stats the season before from their U20s games

Thadius

Juniors
Gagai wasn't purchased to play wing. If he was, then he should have stayed at Newcastle.

The Souths cupboard is thread bare for decent centres and that is exactly where Gagai will play.

It would have been most gratifying to pick up another decent centre in the off season, as we need another. But that bird may have flown by now.

burgibigbash

Juniors
Gagai wasn't purchased to play wing. If he was, then he should have stayed at Newcastle.

The Souths cupboard is thread bare for decent centres and that is exactly where Gagai will play.

It would have been most gratifying to pick up another decent centre in the off season, as we need another. But that bird may have flown by now.

We have the best centre in the World sitting in the cupboard and if the coach is smart then that's exactly where GI should play.

Travitoh

First Grade
We have the best centre in the World sitting in the cupboard and if the coach is smart then that's exactly where GI should play.

With 2018 most likely being a transition season, i kinda share that opinion.
More games at 1 for AJ to grow into the role and GI could mentor a player like Jennings while they play outside him on a week to week basis.

burgibigbash

Juniors
Even in that Storm game Jennings did some good things but he did some bad things as well in that game from memory...... his defence must improve as must his ability under the high ball if he's to stay on the wing....

Against Canberra in round 21 I think it was on the right wing he was shocking.....

In fact there are more games I can recall where he was far more ordinary than good.....

Let's see if he's learnt his lessons in the new year....
Sutton and Angus were absolutely diabolical in defence against the Storm. IMO part of the reason why our centres and wingers struggled in defence is because our edge secondrowers were both playing 80 minutes every week with neither being a strong defender.

I watched the Storm game again last week and Jennings , Graham and Murray were standouts in a side that was smashed through the middle and pumped on the edge.

Harris owned Angus. Jennings is a centre, but I thought he handled his stint on the wing really well.
If our young backs are to improve defensively they need much better stronger defence from their edge forwards.
If George gets his mojo back I'd start with Fui, Murray and Sam in the backrow.

burgibigbash

Juniors
With 2018 most likely being a transition season, i kinda share that opinion.
More games at 1 for AJ to grow into the role and GI could mentor a player like Jennings while they play outside him on a week to week basis.

AJ looked sensational at fullback late in the year after some great games on the wing. I think the time is exactly right to put him there on a fulltime basis. We actually have a bit of depth out wide.
GI needs to do what's best for the team. Tony is in a hard position in that GI want's to play fullback and what is a new coach going to do? If he makes the call and GI gets the shits then it's not a great look for the coach moving forward.
GI impact at fullback was nothing like the three years we were top 4. Defenses have improved tactics against him have evolved and improved. But one on one he is still the hardest bloke in the world to handle. He's still the most complete centre in the game. No brainer if you ask me.

Thadius

Juniors

You have a man out injured who can master fullback, centre and 5/8.

You also have that same man who wants to play fullback above all else and will get that role because he's skipper and he's GI.

That leaves Gagai only for one centre position, we are thread bare for the other one.

doyen

Bench
AJ looked sensational at fullback late in the year after some great games on the wing. I think the time is exactly right to put him there on a fulltime basis. We actually have a bit of depth out wide.
GI needs to do what's best for the team. Tony is in a hard position in that GI want's to play fullback and what is a new coach going to do? If he makes the call and GI gets the shits then it's not a great look for the coach moving forward.
GI impact at fullback was nothing like the three years we were top 4. Defenses have improved tactics against him have evolved and improved. But one on one he is still the hardest bloke in the world to handle. He's still the most complete centre in the game. No brainer if you ask me.

GI may not be the best FB in the game but he is the best defensive one. His defence at FB is more valuable than his attacking prowess! He is a great centre but it is NOT in the interest of our team to play him there.

That is why he will be our No.1 in 2018.

AJ will continue on the wing as long as GI is fit & firing!

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
It will be interesting to see how Kennar and Gagan will go.

I know Rsag said this thread was about guys who have yet to debut, but I'm keen to see if those two play much if any first grade next season.

I'm also very keen to see how Campbell Graham goes. He's looking more bulked up than last year on the preseason shots, especially in the upper body.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It will be interesting to see how Kennar and Gagan will go.

I know Rsag said this thread was about guys who have yet to debut, but I'm keen to see if those two play much if any first grade next season.

I'm also very keen to see how Campbell Graham goes. He's looking more bulked up than last year on the preseason shots, especially in the upper body.
I don't think Gagan will make it..... just the feeling I have...

rabbitohs95

Bench
I don't think Gagan will make it..... just the feeling I have...
Understandable considering his track record but you never know, we have a tendency to unlock potential of those who have struggled before; Andrew Everingham and Cody Walker are just some examples.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
If he gets the chance, Connor Tracey will fire.

Very, very skillful kid and it sounds like he's training the house down