What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Breaking News] Goal at last: Australia joining Asia

weasel

First Grade
Well we all know what the rankings are worth. I'm not as confident as others who think we'd dominate asia if we were playing there but I'd expect us to be in the top tier of nations, alongside Japan, South Korea, China, and a few of the middle eastern teams.

Tigerpete

Juniors
I think we'd defenetly be a top 5 side in asia. On our day we can beat them all for sure.

Its very encouraging to be reading about this immenent switch to the AFC. which has so many positives, infact its hard to see a negative aspect of it. Noticing today that the Kiwis are pursuing the same cause, claiming Australia beat them to the punch, whats new i say??

They suggested that Oceania infact intergrates with Asia, im not so keen on that, i think for now, Australia should be a goer then over time maybe then we can intergrate the other oceanic teams.

astrogirl

First Grade
Does anyone know what the go is with NZ?

Do they also aspire to join the Asian league? I assume they are in the Oceania group as well, at present.

astrogirl

First Grade
Thanks Matt.

I was wondering about that, given the article made the good point that other Oceania teams would see beating Australia as almost impossible so it would be good for football to see Australia in a different group. And I thought that the same point would apply to NZ.

its divided, i guess finances would hold nz back from joining AFC. they can't even send some teams for qualifications to world cups at the moment

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah, getting your foot in, setting the foundations for a move to asia is the hardest part. Obviously Australia is backed by some pretty high powered officials who have the necessary fund to just about walk into asia. Once in Asia, the money earned will be a real benefit for all oceanic countries should they get there, quietly though, Australia is the only nation with a realistic chance of moving in ASAP.

perth sharkie

Juniors
Hopefully the AFC will let Australia join them. But from their perspective, it's hard to see how they will benefit from having Australia in their confederation.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
It's all about the money. Their sponsers apparently want us there to increase their exposure.

watto

Juniors
Think of the benefits for them as well, the AFC would have more supporters down here in Australia with proflic support should our national team get regular games against quality teams, the fans will come out and fill stadiums for games played down under.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah, this move certainly works both ways, which is why it seems its been such a smooth process to this stage.

mike83au

Juniors
Has SBS changed their mind on showing the Australia vs Iraq game live this Saturday night?

It's programed into the Sunday afternoon timeslot at 2pm according to the world game.

tiburon

Juniors
RICHO said:
I'm skeptical. The "12 plus" qualifying games could be an issue. European Clubs won't release players for 1 game, let alone 12!

Aside from that, it looks good.

I think they might. They do it for the African players in Europe whom play around 12 games for the qualifiers, so why not for us?

AdamH

Juniors
If this eventuates I will be a very happy man!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Let's get out and support our local A-League team!

OVP

Coach
TiTTieS said:
I am guessing that this will affect the 2010 world cup rather than the 2006 world cup?

Correct !!

In future they have to qualify through two tiers of qualifying groups to progress to the finals which takes away the "bad day at the office" scenario en route to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Latest posts