What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Reid re Ben HuntRhen

JDHD

Juniors
Qld f**ked up by allowing it to be the Slater & Munster show.
They relied on the Melbourne connection (as they have done previously) to get them through and when it didn't they then reverted to Hunt for the answer and after 1 shot at a play with 7 minutes still remaining they want to bag out Hunt for them losing f**king ridiculous.
Sure he made a mistake by kicking it too far but shit happens and if they had of had him as the main play maker from the get go them maybe he would not have been under so much pressure so late in the game.
The Qld supporters and ex players should be critical of a lot pf things not just Hunt as many of their "stars" failed to execute at the previous high levels of other Qld teams and the tactics employed were obviously flawed due to them letting the Storm connection dictate the play.

Hunt also isn’t at his best as an organiser. He’s at his best running the ball, asking a million different questions at once, and taking any chance he sees. He plays more like a classic 5/8. Queensland picked him and told him to be Thurston or Cronk and he’s not because no one is.

ouryears

Bench
Hunt also isn’t at his best as an organiser. He’s at his best running the ball, asking a million different questions at once, and taking any chance he sees. He plays more like a classic 5/8. Queensland picked him and told him to be Thurston or Cronk and he’s not because no one is.
But he hardly ever runs the ball anyway.
Also if he doesn't organise, who then is meant to?

BennyV

Referee
Hunt makes a kick on the third tackle that goes over the dead ball line, if it had stayed in and they got a repeat set the media would have said how brilliant he was. You can’t win.
lol what?

If Pearce didnt fail so many times, we'd have been saying how brilliant he was. You can't win.
If Mundine had passed the ball we'd all be saying how brilliant '99 was. You can't win.
If Reece Simmonds scored 3 tries a game we'd all be saying how brilliant he was. You can't win.

Point is that you CAN win. He either needed to pull it off well or not take the shot. Then he wins.

Geez, we sound exactly like Roosters fans trying to justify why Pearce deserved his spot in the team for 6 years while plodding up Origin.

JDHD

Juniors

Gareth Widdop is managing the f**k out of our team. Hunt is doing all the long kicks but we get down into the red zone and 90% of our short kicks are done by Widdop.

JDHD

Juniors
Gareth Widdop is managing the f**k out of our team. Hunt is doing all the long kicks but we get down into the red zone and 90% of our short kicks are done by Widdop.

Sorry misunderstood the question. That’s the problem Queensland are going to have to address. Their best organising half is Ash Taylor and he cats it on the wing when things get tough in club land. He’s got a lot of try assists but when the team needs him to dig them out of a hole he disappears. DCE, Munster, Milford and Hunt are all instinctive players. Queensland have had Smith, Cronk and Thurston (and ESPECIALLY Smith) running that show for a decade and they’re trying to replicate their performances rather than building a game plan around their current crop.

True_Believer

Juniors
This is pretty right I think. Right now though he’s easily the best choice for Queensland halfback. DCE is next, and he’s both not as good as Hunt and a giant dickhead. Ash Taylor is very talented when his team has the ball twenty metres from the try line, and mostly invisible otherwise. They need an organising half to go with Munster so that’s Milf and Nikorima out.
He’s not among the best halfbacks of all time, but he is right among the best halfbacks of right now.

Exactly.

Carlton

Juniors
Qld f**ked up by allowing it to be the Slater & Munster show.
They relied on the Melbourne connection (as they have done previously) to get them through and when it didn't they then reverted to Hunt for the answer and after 1 shot at a play with 7 minutes still remaining they want to bag out Hunt for them losing f**king ridiculous.
Sure he made a mistake by kicking it too far but shit happens and if they had of had him as the main play maker from the get go them maybe he would not have been under so much pressure so late in the game.
The Qld supporters and ex players should be critical of a lot pf things not just Hunt as many of their "stars" failed to execute at the previous high levels of other Qld teams and the tactics employed were obviously flawed due to them letting the Storm connection dictate the play.

From all the talk you would think QLD were flogged and every try NSW scored was due to Hunts deficiencies. QLD almost won that match, Gagai was "unlucky" with that call of out when he nearly scored could have gone either way, NSW get a penalty try not because Hunt shouldered a player but because Billy wasn't back which forced Hunt to interfere with the play, almost the same scenario but QLD dont get a penalty try. The kick was an attempt late in the game with the team behind to get a return set, they could see Tedesco was up in the defence. This did not lose the game.

Second half Billy Slater went missing, Munster stifled the attack (irrespective of what Phil Gould says) and McCullough was the invisible man (dont remember him running from dummy half even once). Thats three other members of the spine that should also be wearing some of the criticism for the loss.

Bronco18

Juniors

False.

Walters and Hannay came out before this game to the media and told him to run, to play like he does at club level.

Bronco18

Juniors
RE OP:

Reason Reid jumped the gun here is because there’s been a perception that Hunt loses his head in big games. This doesn’t start at the 2015 Grand Final, but most Broncos fans were willing to accept his career was on an upward trajectory until then so they were willing to let it slide.

Now look, I don’t think Hunt was <as bad> as the abuse he’s copped, but he certainly didn’t help the perception.

What’ll be a worry is if he’s dropped, if he recovers or if he sinks back to the doldrums of 2016/2017.

hazzbeen

Bench
False.

Walters and Hannay came out before this game to the media and told him to run, to play like he does at club level.
Yep your right I did read or hear it somewhere as well . In the first game I'm thinking his injury was restricting him from running and was sure he would have a crack at them second game , but I guess it didn't pan out that way .....

blacksafake

First Grade
From all the talk you would think QLD were flogged and every try NSW scored was due to Hunts deficiencies. QLD almost won that match, Gagai was "unlucky" with that call of out when he nearly scored could have gone either way, NSW get a penalty try not because Hunt shouldered a player but because Billy wasn't back which forced Hunt to interfere with the play, almost the same scenario but QLD dont get a penalty try. The kick was an attempt late in the game with the team behind to get a return set, they could see Tedesco was up in the defence. This did not lose the game.

Second half Billy Slater went missing, Munster stifled the attack (irrespective of what Phil Gould says) and McCullough was the invisible man (dont remember him running from dummy half even once). Thats three other members of the spine that should also be wearing some of the criticism for the loss.
Well said Carlton.
Especially McCullough's effort,He just passes & tackles.He's the one who should have been sending the ball to where Roberts would be defending.
Look at NSW, Cook has taken all the focus & pressure off Cleary who has so far just been catching & passing.If say Peats was still dummy half Cleary would be under the microscope.
I'm not saying Hunt didn't execute well enough but he sure as hell wasn't on his own.Hunt also had more hit ups out of his end then some of the forwards who have been poor.

Well said Carlton.
Especially McCullough's effort,He just passes & tackles.He's the one who should have been sending the ball to where Roberts would be defending.
Look at NSW, Cook has taken all the focus & pressure off Cleary who has so far just been catching & passing.If say Peats was still dummy half Cleary would be under the microscope.
I'm not saying Hunt didn't execute well enough but he sure as hell wasn't on his own.Hunt also had more hit ups out of his end then some of the forwards who have been poor.

Yep, play behind a forward pack not going forward, a starting prop who has 4 runs all game for 47 metres, then blame the half for a couple of mistakes when chasing the game hard.

Slater disappeared in the second half, him or one of the wingers should have been covering the kick for the penalty try, if they had been it would not have been a try.
McCulloch was poor, Munster disappears regularly during games, Hunt tried to do it all by himself and came up short.

I seem to recall that young kid Thurston had some poor games early in his career, lucky it was pointed out to him and he was dropped never to be heard from again.
I’m not saying Hunt is Thurston, but the play maker plays, sometimes it doesn’t come off.

giboz71

First Grade
lol what?

If Pearce didnt fail so many times, we'd have been saying how brilliant he was. You can't win.
If Mundine had passed the ball we'd all be saying how brilliant '99 was. You can't win.
If Reece Simmonds scored 3 tries a game we'd all be saying how brilliant he was. You can't win.

Point is that you CAN win. He either needed to pull it off well or not take the shot. Then he wins.

Geez, we sound exactly like Roosters fans trying to justify why Pearce deserved his spot in the team for 6 years while plodding up Origin.

Hardly the same thing tho.

As you said Pearce kept getting picked year after year and could never get the job done. Hunt’s had 1 bad game and most are writing him off.

If QLD win one series in 13 with Hunt at the helm, we can start comparing him to Pearce.

hazzbeen

Bench
Well said Carlton.
Hunt would definitely be more dangerous than McCullough at 9 , if they were to change their number 7 .But in saying that I wouldn't want him playing there having to make tackles non stop and big chance of injury .

Bronco18

Juniors
Make excuses for Hunt all you want, this was the Broncos fanbase in 2015... I was one of them.

And this whole “organising/running” half is an entirely false dichotomy.

Lockyer, Thurston and Johns were all generals and had brilliant running games before their bodies let them down. In fact, if there’s one half whose game reminds me of Johns, it’s Hunt (atrocious kicking game aside). To say because he runs, he’s incapable of running a team is absolute hogwash.

giboz71

First Grade
Make excuses for Hunt all you want, this was the Broncos fanbase in 2015... I was one of them.

And this whole “organising/running” half is an entirely false dichotomy.

Lockyer, Thurston and Johns were all generals and had brilliant running games before their bodies let them down. In fact, if there’s one half whose game reminds me of Johns, it’s Hunt (atrocious kicking game aside). To say because he runs, he’s incapable of running a team is absolute hogwash.

True, but the three guys you’ve just compared him to are all future immortals.

One already is.

This is the problem, for whatever reason people expect Hunt to deliver like the 3 guys mentioned, very few people in the history of the game can.

From my perspective it was a one bad game and doesn’t diminish what he’s done for the Dragons thus far.

BennyV

Referee
Hardly the same thing tho.

As you said Pearce kept getting picked year after year and could never get the job done. Hunt’s had 1 bad game and most are writing him off.

If QLD win one series in 13 with Hunt at the helm, we can start comparing him to Pearce.
The comparison to Pearce isn’t the number of times he’s failed, it’s the fact that Hunt is a brilliant club player who (at this stage) doesn’t seem able to step up and control a game in SOO. And it’s not just comparing to Cronk and JT - look at James Maloney!

But the point I was originally making was how ludicrous it was to say he ‘can’t win’ Because IF it came off, he’d be hailed as a hero. Fact is, it didn’t come off at a critical part of the game, giving away valuable possession and position. All the ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ in the world don’t change that.

Como Connection

First Grade
Well said Carlton.
Exactly, Cleary did sweet FA.
CC

watatank

Coach
It just looks to me that people are going out of their way not to compare Hunt to players like Thurston or Cronk but at the same time not comparing him to a player like Pearce (and others). So what's the comparison? Can't be Maloney because he won...

Latest posts