What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Reid re Ben HuntRhen

ouryears

Bench
Yes, he should be running, organising, tackling, setting up plays, pointing, telling, motivating......

FFS he earns $1 million for around 40 weeks work.

He is meant to do it all.

Stop feeling sorry for Ben.
It's his damn job!

ALSGI

Bench
Ben’s a bloody good footballer.
Glad he’s a Dragon and there’s actually not another 7 I’d want to swap him for.
He’s an inaugural member of Tonya, great for the team, his work in defence is understated as is his kicking game.
Champion.

The Damo

Juniors
It just looks to me that people are going out of their way not to compare Hunt to players like Thurston or Cronk but at the same time not comparing him to a player like Pearce (and others). So what's the comparison? Can't be Maloney because he won...
Can’t speak for others, but I’d compare him to the current crop of halfbacks. I’d happily compare him to Pearce and say that while his choice and execution on that 3rd tackle kick was poor, that’s the only thing he did that was comparable to Pierce’s frequent screw ups at that level. And that Hunt hasn’t shown the frequency, severity or variety of screw ups that Pierce showed at that level.
Vs Maloney I’d say that no he’s not got quite the ceiling for performance that Maloney does. But also that Maloney has a lower floor. When Hunt has a bad game he’s usually quiet and has one or two bad mistakes. When Maloney has a bad game he has a highly visible shocker with multiple errors, bad plays, poor passes and lets in a try or two.
For the current choices Queensland has, I think he’s both a good match for Munster, and he’s a 10-20% superior player to, and much tougher than DCE. Ash Taylor is great when attacking at close range but outside of that doesn’t do enough. He’d get murdered at Origin level, maybe different in 2 years. Milford’s form is terrible, and he’d be a terrible match with Munster.

watatank

Coach
Can’t speak for others, but I’d compare him to the current crop of halfbacks. I’d happily compare him to Pearce and say that while his choice and execution on that 3rd tackle kick was poor, that’s the only thing he did that was comparable to Pierce’s frequent screw ups at that level. And that Hunt hasn’t shown the frequency, severity or variety of screw ups that Pierce showed at that level.
Vs Maloney I’d say that no he’s not got quite the ceiling for performance that Maloney does. But also that Maloney has a lower floor. When Hunt has a bad game he’s usually quiet and has one or two bad mistakes. When Maloney has a bad game he has a highly visible shocker with multiple errors, bad plays, poor passes and lets in a try or two.
For the current choices Queensland has, I think he’s both a good match for Munster, and he’s a 10-20% superior player to, and much tougher than DCE. Ash Taylor is great when attacking at close range but outside of that doesn’t do enough. He’d get murdered at Origin level, maybe different in 2 years. Milford’s form is terrible, and he’d be a terrible match with Munster.

That's basically my point.

Maloney has his flaws but he steps up, he leads the way and handles pressure. You are not really sure whether you will get that with Hunt, similar with Pearce. Hunt hasn't played 18 games like Pearce but he also might not get another chance if he doesn't perform in game 3.

As for current choices, it doesn't make sense for QLD to make a change at halfback at this stage but if Hunt doesn't play well he probably loses his spot to one of Morgan, Cherry-Evans or Taylor next year.

getsmarty

Immortal
That's basically my point.

Maloney has his flaws but he steps up, he leads the way and handles pressure. You are not really sure whether you will get that with Hunt, similar with Pearce. Hunt hasn't played 18 games like Pearce but he also might not get another chance if he doesn't perform in game 3.

As for current choices, it doesn't make sense for QLD to make a change at halfback at this stage but if Hunt doesn't play well he probably loses his spot to one of Morgan, Cherry-Evans or Taylor next year.

Well Munster really stepped up when Roberts was in the bin....That was his side of the field....Should have shown leadership and demanded the ball.....

watatank

Coach
Well Munster really stepped up when Roberts was in the bin....That was his side of the field....Should have shown leadership and demanded the ball.....

Sure, maybe he could have. Maybe Hunt could have directed play that way too, he is the halfback after all. Munster won man of the match on debut, in a decider. We know he can step up.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sure, maybe he could have. Maybe Hunt could have directed play that way too, he is the halfback after all. Munster won man of the match on debut, in a decider. We know he can step up.

Munster had an opportunity to demand the ball and take control,,,same as pearce last year. It was his side of the field. Hunt didn't play his best game but he is certainly been made the scapegoat.

Other Qld players made bad decisions eg Chambers tackle on Maloney. They lacked a mature player like Smith to direct them. Hunt will hopefully learn from his mistakes.From memory even A Johns didn't set the world on fire in his first few origin games .

Dragon for life

Juniors
Dunno how many of you are in the Brisbane area and listen to Triple M of a morning, but Ben Hunt must be ecstatic he isn’t Brisbane based anymore coz boy is he copping some stick.

Greg Martin was crapping on about how Hunt gets paid $1.3m/yr to entertain and $30k/origin match. Leaving aside the $1.3m figure it’s just such a dumbass argument.

Shits me to tears. Normally i’m avoiding all Qld media at this time because of another series loss. Now i’m avoiding it coz they’re bagging the sh!t out of a Dragons player. Lol.
Funny how they claim up here that they never turn on their own kind. How they always pick and stick when it comes to picking players. How NSW always change their team and don’t have any loyalty/passion. Eat sh*t Queenslanders hope you have to chop and change your team for the next decade, then we’ll see where your loyalty and passion is.

Funny thing is if he played behind a decent forward pack like at the Dragons he would have looked like a superstar.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Sorry misunderstood the question. That’s the problem Queensland are going to have to address. Their best organising half is Ash Taylor and he cats it on the wing when things get tough in club land. He’s got a lot of try assists but when the team needs him to dig them out of a hole he disappears. DCE, Munster, Milford and Hunt are all instinctive players. Queensland have had Smith, Cronk and Thurston (and ESPECIALLY Smith) running that show for a decade and they’re trying to replicate their performances rather than building a game plan around their current crop.
GUYS!!! Let’s not fix their issues for them!! I am really hoping that I can listen to them stab each other in the back for the next 10 years. Up in sunny Queensland I have endured a decade of hearing how we have no passion for our state. We don’t have the spirit that Queenslanders have when they put on that Jersey (maybe it got lost in the washing on Sunday night) lol.
Lets just watch them capitulate on their own.
A big 3-0 will be just perfect for their confidence.

I know it sounds harsh but f**k em.

watatank

Coach
Munster had an opportunity to demand the ball and take control,,,same as pearce last year. It was his side of the field. Hunt didn't play his best game but he is certainly been made the scapegoat.

Other Qld players made bad decisions eg Chambers tackle on Maloney. They lacked a mature player like Smith to direct them. Hunt will hopefully learn from his mistakes.From memory even A Johns didn't set the world on fire in his first few origin games .

Johns was 21 when he debuted for NSW and lead Newcastle to their first premiership at age 23. Hunt is 28 and has played a grand final, for QLD and Australia before. There's still question marks over him. It may not seem relevant because that's another team but what exactly are we going to be expecting from Hunt come finals time when we're currently leading the comp?

Hunt has earned the chance to play halfback for QLD this year, that's it. If he played his cards right he could have secured the QLD and Australian halfback job for the next few years. Now he is fighting to keep his spot. How he plays in Origin 3 actually matters because it's going to affect how he plays for the rest of the year, maybe more.

Life's Good

Coach
Funny how they claim up here that they never turn on their own kind. How they always pick and stick when it comes to picking players. How NSW always change their team and don’t have any loyalty/passion. Eat sh*t Queenslanders hope you have to chop and change your team for the next decade, then we’ll see where your loyalty and passion is.

Funny thing is if he played behind a decent forward pack like at the Dragons he would have looked like a superstar.

Their pick & stick has become chew & spew. That whole narrative was only going to last as long as the likes of Smith, JT, Cronk, Slater, Inglis were in the team. Credit to them for playing as long as they did but the way the media lapped it all up was cringeworthy.

ALSGI

Bench
Their pick & stick has become chew & spew. That whole narrative was only going to last as long as the likes of Smith, JT, Cronk, Slater, Inglis were in the team. Credit to them for playing as long as they did but the way the media lapped it all up was cringeworthy.
Crineworthy indeed, most cringeworthy comments for mine are Soward’s, saying Hunt will be dropped for SOO3, and that he hasn’t seen enough from Hunt that Dragons win the title this year. f**k you Jamie.

Life's Good

Coach
Crineworthy indeed, most cringeworthy comments for mine are Soward’s, saying Hunt will be dropped for SOO3, and that he hasn’t seen enough from Hunt that Dragons win the title this year. f**k you Jamie.
Just another example of an ex player trying to build a profile by going after easy targets.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hunt is way better than Soward was.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Just another example of an ex player trying to build a profile by going after easy targets.
Yeah like Soward lit up the origin arena. Remember him puffing out his chest after scoring a try( maybe that was with the dragons), but the only player in origin history to be selected who couldn’t tackle. Remember his karate kick whilst trying to stop Inglis v Melbourne one year. Lol

ouryears

Bench
Sowards has an opinion.
He has every right to say it
He is in the media
It's his job to analyse teams

Many would agree with him.
#nosugarcoating

ouryears

Bench
Yeah like Soward lit up the origin arena. Remember him puffing out his chest after scoring a try( maybe that was with the dragons), but the only player in origin history to be selected who couldn’t tackle. Remember his karate kick whilst trying to stop Inglis v Melbourne one year. Lol
Soward in the media has nothing to do with his few poor games in the past.

He challenges the team to rise to the occassion.

As he did on GF day 2010.
Remember?

Ben Hunt still hasn't.
Hopefully he will.

Life's Good

Coach
At the end of the day the best way to respond is by the actions on the field(as Soward did). Hunt, with that kick for Aitkens try, is a good start.

Last edited: