What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bret Hart pins blame for CM Punk’s departure from WWE on Triple H

InFlames

Juniors
Bret Hart pins blame for CM Punk’s departure from WWE on Triple H

NOVEMBER 21, 20158:04AM

659da1df6cd3aef65645a5970b90be45_crop_north.jpg

PROFESSIONAL wrestling legend Bret “Hitman” Hart has taken a swing at Paul “Triple H” Levesque for losing CM Punk to the UFC.
Hart believes the WWE’s executive vice president of talent is to blame for the fallout which saw one of the most talented wrestlers in the world leave to pursue a mixed martial arts career.

The WWE will crown a new heavyweight champion at Survivor Series this weekend but in Hart’s mind the two men he likes to watch wrestle most — Punk and Daniel Bryan — won’t be there.
“I miss Daniel Bryan and CM Punk since they both exited the scene, and I find myself watching wrestling less and less since those guys left,” Hart told Sports Illustrated. “I don’t know if they’ve filled their shoes.”
Punk had long-running issues with the way wrestlers were booked for major pay-per-views. Instead of rewarding wrestlers who worked day-in, day-out the headlining spots on the card were being given to part-timers like Batista and Brock Lesnar.
“I’d have to take Punk’s side on it,” Hart said. “Triple H is a bodybuilder nut. He goes after the bodies. He doesn’t care how good — and he can look in the mirror — guys work, he cares how guys look. Punk and Bryan are guys concerned with how they work. It’s a different philosophy. I admire Punk for taking his stand. He was the guy doing all the work, every week, going injured, and here’s a guy sitting at home — working three or four times a year — and you’re going to give him the main event at WrestleMania? I’m not buying it.”

Hart claimed WWE owner Vince McMahon regretted the whole saga. “Vince is sorry that they lost Punk,” Hart said. “Vince has a better sense of wrestlers’ look and their work, and Triple H is more prone to bodybuilders. If a guy is 6’5” and has a bodybuilder’s physique, that’s all that matters to him. But he’s wrong.”
Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, is yet to fight in the UFC since signing a contract with the company in December, 2014.
UFC boss Dana White was asked when he expected Punk to make his debut at a fan question-and-answer session in Melbourne ahead of UFC 193 last week. He said he expected it to be “in the (US) summer”.

Hart also took aim at recent WWE heavyweight champion Seth Rollins, who was forced to vacate his title after badly injuring his knee at a live event in Dublin, Ireland. He is expected to miss up to nine months while his torn ACL, MCL and meniscus heals.
Hart said Rollins — who also drew criticism for breaking John Cena’s nose on Monday Night Raw in July — needed to take better care of his own health and his co-workers.
“That knee in the face that he gave to John Cena was unprofessional, at best,” Hart said. “It’s really strange that a guy like Rollins, who I have a lot of respect for, would be that reckless with that knee in the face. If someone kneed me in the face like that, I would have met him in the back dressing room with a baseball bat. There’s just no excuse for it.
“You can’t hurt somebody like that under any circumstances. It’s totally reckless. It can’t happen. The other thing is, when you’re the champion, you have a responsibility to not get hurt. You have to be spot on.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/bret-hart-pins-blame-for-cm-punks-departure-from-wwe-on-triple-h/news-story/68951a9922a77d6fd98c876ffda282da

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bret Hart blames everything on trips.

Don't much care for his opinion on anything if it involves trips

Big Pete

Referee
“Vince has a better sense of wrestlers’ look and their work

Which is why Vince thought Lex Luger and Diesel were more qualified for the main event spot than you, Bret.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The knee was encouraged by Cena to add to the hype for their match. Goldberg kicked this guy so hard in the head he's lost all sense. Remember him citing Melina as the best wrestler in the world? Guy is envious of Triple H, big time.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The knee was encouraged by Cena to add to the hype for their match. Goldberg kicked this guy so hard in the head he's lost all sense. Remember him citing Melina as the best wrestler in the world? Guy is envious of Triple H, big time.

As he should be, imo - what a brilliant career Trips has had.

mackdadday

Juniors
Bret just comes across as an angry, bitter man. Even when they roll him out for the occasional Canada show, he looks sad. A shame. He was a great wrestler.

alien

Referee
I agree that part timers shouldn't be in the main event.

I am not sure how Bret can blame Rollins for getting injured. It was just an accident, and these things happen. Same as Rollins breaking Cena's nose.

Valheru

Coach
Bret is just a bitter, twisted old man who is an even bigger sook than CM Punk.

Punk left because he spat the dummy about not main eventing mania despite being put over as one of the top stars in the business with a record breaking title run.

shiznit

Coach
Bret Hart is an idiot - look how tough he is, going backstage with a baseball bat...
That's unfair... The guys makes some obvious points... You can't just blow that off because you have a hard on for Jane Levesque

The problem with Brett comes down to his view of the industry... He's a guy who was born in to
the business ... His father was a promoter... He spent countless hours watching his old man iron dudes out in the dungeon or on the road with a van full of wrestlers... And that was before the guy was in high school.

So he's got this old fashioned view about how the business is supposed to work. He has this overwhelming view that guys with sublime technical in ring skill, consistency and dependability will always draw...

He also believed strongly that loyalty and dependability to the company entitled you to a certain level of respect by your promotion...

So when the guy was shafted time and time again he actually failed to recognise that one of the reasons he was passed over a lot was because he didn't move the needle as easy as others.

I think to this day I think he's still in denial about that...

I think the bitterness is due to the fact the the business has been pretty rough on the guy... For the most part he did everything in a respectful manner. He took his lumps... And didn't really hurt anyone. But the guy lost his brother to the business... He ended up with serious health issues over it... It destroyed his extended family...

So to him... He sees a guy like Levesque... Who was pretty much a bodybuilder... He came in with no respect for the business... He gets his initial push because of the influence behind the scenes from his druggy mates... When you know there were more deserving guys being squashed on purpose by his crew.

Then to top it all off... The bastard practically slept his way to being the most powerful man in the business....

Of course he's bitter... I would be too...

But life isn't fair... And he needs to learn to recognise that there are other ways to play the game and get ahead... And that's his problem... He just cant get over it...

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's unfair... The guys makes some obvious points... You can't just blow that off because you have a hard on for Jane Levesque

The problem with Brett comes down to his view of the industry... He's a guy who was born in to
the business ... His father was a promoter... He spent countless hours watching his old man iron dudes out in the dungeon or on the road with a van full of wrestlers... And that was before the guy was in high school.

So he's got this old fashioned view about how the business is supposed to work. He has this overwhelming view that guys with sublime technical in ring skill, consistency and dependability will always draw...

He also believed strongly that loyalty and dependability to the company entitled you to a certain level of respect by your promotion...

So when the guy was shafted time and time again he actually failed to recognise that one of the reasons he was passed over a lot was because he didn't move the needle as easy as others.

I think to this day I think he's still in denial about that...

I think the bitterness is due to the fact the the business has been pretty rough on the guy... For the most part he did everything in a respectful manner. He took his lumps... And didn't really hurt anyone. But the guy lost his brother to the business... He ended up with serious health issues over it... It destroyed his extended family...

So to him... He sees a guy like Levesque... Who was pretty much a bodybuilder... He came in with no respect for the business... He gets his initial push because of the influence behind the scenes from his druggy mates... When you know there were more deserving guys being squashed on purpose by his crew.

Then to top it all off... The bastard practically slept his way to being the most powerful man in the business....

Of course he's bitter... I would be too...

But life isn't fair... And he needs to learn to recognise that there are other ways to play the game and get ahead... And that's his problem... He just cant get over it...

He does make some good points.

And Levesque is GOD.

But my comment was more about how tough he is, going backstage with a bat because someone stiffed him...Meng would have ripped out his f**king eyeballs with his bare fingers tbh.

Bret Hart is massively overrated and a big baby.

Eelementary

Post Whore
And this myth that Levesque slept his way to the top, or didn't earn it, is just that - a myth.

I don't recall Hart wrestling in pig shit...

He's a bitter, jealous fool, who isn't even as good as people made him out to be.

Hoggmaster

Juniors
This is an opinion nothing more. I do think HHH was to blame for Punk leaving, but I don't think it was because of his look. Punk to me was the Chris Jericho of his day. Opinionated, mecurial, and would have been an absolute asshole to book sometimes, but still one of the most talented wrestlers ever. Vince was a great man manager who got the very best out of Jericho. HHH however seems a no nonsense guy and wouldnt have placated Punk.
If you look at NXT, Owens, Balor, Joe have all been booked very strong under HHH without having massively impressive bodies.

For all the grief Vince McMahon gets he did book guys like Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Steve Austin, and Mick Foley as world champions. They wouldnt fall in the 6"5 bodybuilder category either, and none of them had the success in other promotions before or after they did under Vince's booking.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Triple H definitely earned it, but you can't ignore the fact he got an enormous leg up first by his involvement with Nash/Ramon (which would bite him in the ass temporarily) and then by the fact he was nailing Steph.

He'd have been huge without the latter, but it certainly made him a fixture in the main event scene that he might not have been without the creative control.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Triple H definitely earned it, but you can't ignore the fact he got an enormous leg up first by his involvement with Nash/Ramon (which would bite him in the ass temporarily) and then by the fact he was nailing Steph.

He'd have been huge without the latter, but it certainly made him a fixture in the main event scene that he might not have been without the creative control.

Absolutely - he got huge help from his bros.

But he was always going to be at least a big star - he had the talent, look and charisma to be a big star.

He definitely got a helping hand, but he did work really hard as well - maybe it's because he's my favourite wrestler and I tend to defend him, but imo, he was always destined to hit the top, even without help.

Bret Hart is a legend, but he comes across as a bitter old coot.

God-King Dean

Immortal
how can anyone call Bret Hart overrated (laughable), then say they are big fan of HHH

HHH is an above average wrestler with a very limited skill set - & a shit human being by all reports

Valheru

Coach
Bret Hart was one of the best technical wrestlers of his era no doubt but he couldn’t cut a promo to save himself and he had the charisma of piece of frozen bread.

His persona was fine in the early and mid 90’s cartoon era but once the product become more edgy, it clearly left him behind and that is something he has never been able to come to terms with. Despite what he believes, he is not the best ever and IMO not even the best of his era with HBK being better. It is only opinion as others disagree but for me HBK got better matches out of every wrestler they both wrestled with the exceptions of Steve Austin, who didn’t need anyone to carry him and Owen Hart.

As for HHH, he can’t be labelled as anything apart from one of the all time greats. He is no Benoit or Eddie in terms of move sets but he is far from a Hogan and Piper as well. His promos have been good, he has adapted to whatever role given to him and his career is littered with good, really good and great matches.

Yes, he got his initial push due to whom he knew but who cares? That has happened since the day dot in wrestling and continues to this day. As for the main event push, it is a common myth this was due to his relationship with Steph, however he won the world title well before that and their romantic relationship started after the onscreen relationship. His backstage stroke post WCW in 2002 and 2003 is one of the reasons I think most people resent him. TBH, I can’t think of any name he should have put over in that era besides RVD and maybe booker, certainly not the likes of Nash and Steiner.

shiznit

Coach
He does make some good points.

And Levesque is GOD.

But my comment was more about how tough he is, going backstage with a bat because someone stiffed him...Meng would have ripped out his f**king eyeballs with his bare fingers tbh.

Bret Hart is massively overrated and a big baby.

Really??

I know it's probably personal opinion... But to me... In the ring... Levesque isn't fit tie Brett's shoe laces.

On the Mic... Hmmm... Not so much.

But you could pair Brett up with anyone and the guy could make magic... You pair him up with another phenomenal worker like HBK and you get something absolutely top draw.

Some of his spots were just flawless... I still love that spot that he did with HBK and Taker at Summerslam. Where he spits in HBK's face... HBK swings it and he ducks it and he hits Taker. Very simple... But done absolutely perfect...and they capitalised on it with the slow count...

He struggled with charisma though... His best work IMO was as a heel....

Eelementary

Post Whore
how can anyone call Bret Hart overrated (laughable), then say they are big fan of HHH

HHH is an above average wrestler with a very limited skill set - & a shit human being by all reports

Laugh away, chuckles.

You're obviously one of those people who struggle to understand basic English - "over-rated" doesn't mean "bad".

Hulk Hogan was over-rated, and he's still a legend of the industry.

I consider wrestlers on all key pillars, including mic skills and charisma, and Hart sucked at that.

There's no doubt he was a great technical wrestler, but from a guy who is purportedly the " best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be", that's not good enough.

And while it's true that Trips had a more limited moveset, why does that factor negatively into the equation when judging him? Dean Malenko knew 1,000 holds, remember? But was he a better wrestler than Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit or Stone Cold?

Last edited:

Latest posts