What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Kimmorley loses wife

Front-Rower

First Grade
Condolences to Brett and the family. Cancer is a terrible disease, hope the powers to be find a cure one day soon.

seanoff

Juniors
Was wondering where he was.

This is a very sad answer to that question

Poor bastard, terrible for the 4 kids. No kid deserves that

RIP Sharnie

AJB1102

First Grade
Condolences to Noddy and his young girls. Terrible, tragic stuff.

He was a tough little footballer. He bust a nut for my Club. I wish him the best getting through this.

Emu01

Juniors
I lost my sister in law to this terrible disease 18 months ago, so I know what the family is going through..My heart goes out to Brett and his children at this sad time.

The whole rugby league community is with you 100 percent Brett we will be there for you all the way.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Rest in peace Sharni. My heart is breaking for a good bloke and his 4 daughters.

Cancer is an evil, insidious c*** of a disease

Grieving league great Brett Kimmorley opens up on wife Sharnie's death
icon_video.png

Last updated 10:33, May 18 2017

• Kimmorley's wife dies after cancer battle

"It's something that you don't know how to handle. Obviously you feel - I feel - very empty in a way."

The premiership-winning halfback and ex-State of Origin and test star said he only conjured the strength to talk about his family's plight because it was the league's "Beanie for Brain Cancer" week.

"It's obviously something that's very special for us as a family to try and push forward and help someone else not have to go through it," Kimmorley said.

"Until you're around it, you don't know. Obviously you know there's a lot of cancer and lot of things out there, but it impacts you in a sledgehammer way when you become a part of it.

"What really caught me out was when you go to the cancer clinics and you go to the places is how full they are; obviously (seeing) how much there is off it out there.

"And the fact it's under-funded, any way you can help get some funding and get some solution to the problem because it's horrible."

Kimmorley says he takes heart from the support of the rugby league community and friends.

"As much as people sending me a text or talking to you asking how you're going, you sort of think not much from it, but it does help a lot," he said.

"And obviously (having) four daughters that you always have cared a lot about, but instantly they become your No 1 focus; making sure they're OK is priority, making sure they're comfortable.

"And they are going okay at the moment - and that's your sole focus. It sort of gets you through each day.

"I don't look ahead very far. I look day to day. I roughly know where I'm going, but it's like: 'Oh well, why stress, why worry about things?'

"Sort of be here and the now for the moment."

The champion No 7 and his four girls helped raise more than A$10,000 for brain cancer research in Mother's Day week and now he's urging rugby league fans to support the Mark Hughes Foundation's initiative to buy a "Beanie for Brain Cancer".

"The cause is very special," Kimmorley said.

"The NRL have enormous power to convince people, to persuade people, to just encourage people to buy a beanie to support something that gets very little funding.

"It's sort of like a way of doing whatever you can in a small way and contributing to a big outcome.

"The kids did Relay for Life last week as something that was very special to do for mum.

"We started as a family and we finished as a family. It's sort of like everything we do at the moment is an 'us' decision, not so much a 'me' and 'I' decision."

- AAP
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...ett-kimmorley-opens-up-on-wife-sharnies-death

Stay strong Noddy. You're an inspirational human being.

Clifferd

Coach
I've always liked Noddy. What a champion human being, he still finds time to coach one of my local grade teams despite all the other responsibilities.

Hope he has all the support he needs during these times

Agreed Clifferd, he's a stand-up guy.

I couldn't imagine the pain he must be feeling. If I lost my wife, I'd be in a very dark place. I only have 1 child, and not 4, so again I couldn't imagine what he must be going through with his kids. Noddy obviously has an extremely strong character, and knows he has to go on for his 4 girls.

The whole RL community should rally around this gentleman of the highest order.

Danish

Referee
Watching kimmorley slowly losing it during that interview was absolutely heartbreaking.

One of the true good guys of league that always just went about his work without any fuss, and was seldom rewarded for it despite being one of the great halfbacks of the NRL era.

Am I wrong in saying that he invented or at least brought to prominence the now universal playing style of playing flat an at the line? I seem to recall a lot of talk about him doing this and using block/decoy runners right on the edge of the obstruction rule when he was at the storm

wibble

Bench
I didn't have to actually remember my children losing their mother, and I couldn't get through the whole interview it was too distressing.

Footballers are all tough, but he is very brave and very tough in a way that no one should have to be, and I doubt anyone knows they can be until they have to.

Coming in to the public spotlight, to expose such painful memories to try to raise awareness for the benefit of other people he will never know, was an amazingly selfless and courageous thing. It shows that he has enormous character, and the one small mercy for his poor daughters going through this is that their father is obviously a very decent human being.

To do the interview took tremendous courage. It certainly raises awareness though which is incredibly selfless on his behalf. Had me balling me up all through it.

I can't even imagine the pain he and his daughters are going through.