Brexit

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by whall15, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Is the United States some ahem "collective utopia"

2. Danish

Danish Referee

I agree 100%, it was a pointless endeavour from the outset.

What benefit was any nation actually expected to get out of it anyway?

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

No

Did I say it was?

4. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Well they are so heavily integrated that they haven't plunged themselves into war with one another 70+ years which is a record for that part of the world, so I would say that's a pretty big bonus.

mave and Danish like this.
  5. Danish

Danish Referee

Point well taken.

I guess we do take for granted the fact that Western Europe and North America was just as big a shitfight as the rest of the planet up until relatively recently.

6. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

The point of it was to have a consumer base and economy that could compete with the United States. However the United States is willing to deal with the fact some states are going to be net losers and have them subsidised with federal dollars from say California and Texas

7. t-ba

t-ba Coach

This interests me. As members of the EFTA, they are also part of Shengen and the European Single Market. This means they are beholden to the four key principles! Not to use the traditional whipping boy but freedom of movement and working rights still exist for EU and EFTA citizens in thes two.

As a leave voter is that palatable to you? Do you think the majority of leave supporters are interested in a Norway/Switzerland deal that lands the UK in Shengen and has them beholden to the four key principles of the Single market?

8. Danish

Danish Referee

The key difference there though is the founding US states never existed as their own sovereign nations prior to the establishment of the USA. The rules of the union were established from the outset, and any state that joined from there understood what they were getting into.

If California or Texas had been its own nation for the last 300 years, there’s absolutely no chance they could be roped into joining the USA today

9. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I cant disagree with any of that which is ultimately why the EU was doomed. Sharing a currency was especially dumb because it meant greece and the like had very few monetary tricks they could pull

Danish likes this.
  10. Danish

Danish Referee

Yeah I don’t really get why the euro became a thing. Then again I don’t get much about money markets to begin with