What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnstone

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Brian.

The Mole: Dragons legend in health scare, no show at club trial prompts concern

Dragons chairman and club legend Brian Johnston has been rushed to hospital after collapsing in his home in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Johnston is undergoing a series of tests, with doctors still unsure what caused his problem.

A popular figure who played over 150 games in the centres in the Big Red V and represented New South Wales and Australia, Johnston is a life member of the Dragons and a favourite son.

The 59-year-old joined the club from the country town of Dunedoo as an unknown teenager in 1980 and has been a one-club man for the past four decades.

He captained the club in his final season in 1989 before retiring due to injury.

Johnston was a notable absentee from the club’s trial hit-out against English club Hull FC last night as a result of his mystery illness.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/18/12/00/nrl-news-the-mole

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
From memory, Johnston only relinquished the CEO role to Peter Doust due to a bowel cancer concern. I always thought that 'the plan' was for him to resume his previous duties once his health returned.

Evidently, this didn't transpire for whatever reason.

Let's hope this latest worry is minor, and that Johnston will be raring to go before the season begins as the Club needs his leadership.

Last edited:
He rang me the other day to see if I was renewing my membership.
"Hello, my name is Brian from the St George Illawarra Dragons......."

I didn't answer it so it was a voicemail message, could have been a robocall, could have been a different Brian, could have been Brian Mahatma doing a really good Australian accent....but still, I'll believe it was Johnno calling me personally.