What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

davi

Juniors
Bombers announcing they are giving up on Facebook.

Thats not exactly what they have said, but reading between the lines it probably is what they will end up doing.

"The #nrl has confirmed that expansion is officially off the table for the foreseeable future.

A disappointing time for all our devoted supporters but we respect this decision from the governing body and a formal announcement will be made by the Bid team next week."

https://www.facebook.com/bnebombers/?fref=ts

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not much point or value them entering the queensland cup and cant see them sitting around for 6 years in the hope NRL changes it mind.

davi

Juniors
Not much point or value them entering the queensland cup and cant see them sitting around for 6 years in the hope NRL changes it mind.

If that's their attitude then they probably shouldn't get a team. Considering other teams such as Ipswich Jets and the Redcliffe Dolphins are more then happy to do the heavy lifting and establish themselves in the Queensland cup.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf there is no pathway, criteria or plan for "establishing yourself" in these second tier leagues as a pathway to being admitted or promoted to the NRL. As a businessman why would I pump millions of $'S into a qlnd cup team with no clear indicators that this will be a factor when or how NRL will choose its next NRL club? It's not like you're going to establish an NRL standard club or supporter base in these leagues to prove your worthy.

I have doubts putting a Perth team in is a good idea, that million $'S a year plus could be put to better use developing the twelve nrlwa clubs.

How many qland cup teams are not backed by pokie clubs or NRL clubs? I doubt raising a million $ plus a year is easy at that level.

taipan

Referee
The whole idea is about pathways ,for young players and on the way ensuring stability in their lives, and graduating to if they are good enough NRL clubs.

Money will come from the NRL,the state clubs themselves,through the gates, local sponsorship.It's not about a local business group throwing in millions upon millions.And I guess TV revenue down the line.

How many young players have been lost through home sickness, pressure to succeed due to teh current system.
FFS it has to be a 100% improvement on what is in play now.Especially as it means developing a bigger player pool,which then means a better chance of expansion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which has nothing to do with the discussion about the Brisbane bombers. I think the dropping of NYC is a good thing, I think the NRL has missed the opportunity to rebrand and create a international second tier but that may come down the track if they expand it Iinto more than two state leagues.

If it is worth the bombers, or pirates, entering into this second tier as some alleged pathway to expansion is the debate here.

taipan

Referee
Which has nothing to do with the discussion about the Brisbane bombers. I think the dropping of NYC is a good thing, I think the NRL has missed the opportunity to rebrand and create a international second tier but that may come down the track if they expand it Iinto more than two state leagues.

If it is worth the bombers, or pirates, entering into this second tier as some alleged pathway to expansion is the debate here.

That's my point FFS:rolleyes:.
It has to do with the Brisbane Bombers. if you bothered to check.They can if they choose (according to Canavan)to have a team in the lower tier as a starting point.Develop from there and show they are in a position to have an NRL team .Perth ditto
The PNG Hunters is already in the equation, and Fiji NZ if they get the backing behind them no doubt will get involved later.
If that is not a pathway ,there I don't know what is.Grassroots to lower tier to NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's my point FFS:rolleyes:.
It has to do with the Brisbane Bombers. if you bothered to check.They can if they choose (according to Canavan)to have a team in the lower tier as a starting point.Develop from there and show they are in a position to have an NRL team .Perth ditto
The PNG Hunters is already in the equation, and Fiji NZ if they get the backing behind them no doubt will get involved later.
If that is not a pathway ,there I don't know what is.Grassroots to lower tier to NRL.

So how would playing in this league show their readiness for nrl?
Crowds aren't going to flock to this level
Revenue at this level will be no indicator of sustainability in NRL
squad development, well not really, any new team joining the NRL is going to sign a squad of experienced first teamers.
Developing a corporate supporter base? Good Luck with that at this level.
So how exactly is putting a team into this level going to prove anything in regards to being a good choice to join the NRL in the future?

taipan

Referee
So how would playing in this league show their readiness for nrl?
Crowds aren't going to flock to this level
Revenue at this level will be no indicator of sustainability in NRL
squad development, well not really, any new team joining the NRL is going to sign a squad of experienced first teamers.
Developing a corporate supporter base? Good Luck with that at this level.
So how exactly is putting a team into this level going to prove anything in regards to being a good choice to join the NRL in the future?

You serious?
1) develop young players and an area under you control.I don't know try Darling Downs whatever,Brisbane north.
2)Crowds don't flock to 2nd tier levels now, but they are part of the future of the higher level.
3) Show you can grow the game in your area ,increase the number of players in your area and their skill levels.Have an area that has the population growth.

I'll give you a tip how the hell do you think the Sharks and Penrith got into the ARL in 1967?.They had a big junior base, and the crowds were not there initially ,nor the sponsors.The Bombers have a far larger population with which to work.

I'm not even bother going to continue with your last para.And you are the one who prattles on about expansion,when the fundamentals seem to have been lost on you.Ground up approach works better.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The refocused second tier will be great for promoting teams from PER/ADL/NZ2 or an exisiting club like the SC Falcons but I can't see how it'll work for a second Brisbane team.

The entire point of creating a Broncos/Titans/Cowboys club is that it has no ties to exisiting local clubs so everyone can support it. If the Bombers or someone else started playing in the QLD Cup it'd defeat the entire purpose.

Marlins

Juniors
Hopefully this spells the end this ridiculous bid. If the nrl was to expand with another Brisbane side it should be Redcliffe or Ipswich. Hopefully we will see Toowoomba & Darwin sides added to the qcup and more games televised.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The refocused second tier will be great for promoting teams from PER/ADL/NZ2 or an exisiting club like the SC Falcons but I can't see how it'll work for a second Brisbane team.

The entire point of creating a Broncos/Titans/Cowboys club is that it has no ties to exisiting local clubs so everyone can support it. If the Bombers or someone else started playing in the QLD Cup it'd defeat the entire purpose.

Exactly the days of suburbs being admitted to the NRL like in 1967 are long gone. Taipan seems to think that somehow bombers are going to pick a suburb of Brisbane, start a club there and in 6 or 7 years the NRL will somehow deem them worthy if they have a good Jnr set up.

Stadium, corporate support, tv value, potential supporter base are the only criteria that will matter.

Marlins

Juniors
Exactly the days of suburbs being admitted to the NRL like in 1967 are long gone. Taipan seems to think that somehow bombers are going to pick a suburb of Brisbane, start a club there and in 6 or 7 years the NRL will somehow deem them worthy if they have a good Jnr set up.

Stadium, corporate support, tv value, potential supporter base are the only criteria that will matter.
And where are the fans and crowds going to come from? Having the likes of a Ipswich or Redcliffe sides playing a couple of games at the suburban grounds and the rest at Suncorp is a far better idea then just creating a new brand like the bombers in a area with already supported clubs. WCpirates is a different story but if the bombers were to be put in the nrl it would be a disaster and we probably would never see a 2nd Brisbane side again.

Marlins

Juniors
This is way making the Qcup bigger and more relevant will help it will bring fans from them regions and build over the years. Redcliffe will have a 10k seated stadium soon and will keep on getting bigger. When the time is right then add them to the national comp.
Build a foundation
Build a bigger Jounier base
Build a quality suburban ground
Build a name for the club

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's two school of thoughtsvin best approach. Either the Melbourne soccer/Adelaide afl approach which is less regionally specific whole of city clubs that go head to head with the other whole of city club

Or the freo dockers/wsw approach that picks a region of a city and attracts its fanbase from that region.

I can see a western or northern Brisbane branded club working on option B or a bombers bid in option A

Not really sure which would have best chance of a 25k attendance base? Either one though needs some serious financial clout and good business people on the board if it is going to compete with the brincos for a market share

Diesel

Referee
North Brisbane already have a team, the Broncos based at Red Hill.

Time for the southside to have a team, be it Redlands, Logan, Ipswich or Southern Brisbane area based somewhere like Archerfield/Acacia Ridge area

Marlins

Juniors
A Ipswich or south side team would be a good choice they could even take the odd game to Qsac stadium. Maybe the bombers bid could join up with the Ipswich jets bid. Make it a north vs south Brisbane situation.