What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Any 2nd Brisbane team should play out of Suncorp.

Absolutely - Redcliffe are an iconic brand but we don't need yet another team playing out of a 20k max stadium (as in Dolphin Oval once it is NRL ready). We want a big Brisbane City rival to the Broncs that can draw 30 - 35k. Unless Redcliffe plan to play their big games out of Suncorp (Cowboys, Broncs, Warriors, Storm, Titans) but then they risk alienating their Redcliffe fans.

I do prefer the Redcliffe club model though - they are a real RL club - not a franchise / corporation.

The point remains in my opinion that the Broncos are the biggest stumbling block to getting another NRL club in Brisbane.
They need to be told the positives another Brisbane team would bring to them and Rugby League not only in Brisbane but Queensland as well.

davi

Juniors
Redcliffe are the frontrunners and the Bombers are not happy about it. The NRL has already indicated any potential expansion team from Brisbane would be benefitted from a club that is already established in the QLD Cup. The Bombers have refused to go down this path and instead want to get through the backdoor. Bombers argument that Dolphins will only appeal to Moreton bay region, can't you change that by renaming them Brisbane? North Queensland Cowboys are based in Townsville but they have a large rural supporter base who feel part of the teams identity even though the games are played in Townsville.

Brisbane Bombers shareholder Nick Livermore says Redcliffe NRL team would be destined to fail

Brisbane Bombers shareholder Nick Livermore has warned the ARL Commission a fourth Queensland NRL team based in Redcliffe is “fundamentally destined to fail”.

Prospective NRL franchises the Bombers, Ipswich and Central Queensland have outlaid almost $5 million collectively over the past eight years in their relentless pursuit to grow the sport and be part of the big league.

But The Sunday Mail’s revelations that Redcliffe is now the NRL’s No.1 target zone for another licence will rock Queensland’s Big Three bidding consortia.

Livermore, part of the Bombers’ bid since their inception in 2011, is adamant any club to challenge the mighty Broncos must be based in the heart of the Brisbane metropolitan region, home to 2.4 million people.

“A Redcliffe team is fundamentally destined to fail,” Livermore said.

“If the NRL hands a licence to Redcliffe, they are isolating more than three million people in the southeast Queensland market.

“If the NRL wants a national footprint, they need clubs with a metropolitan brand.

“Putting my Bombers interests aside, I’ve always maintained that the second Brisbane team - be it us, Ipswich or any other bid team - must have a metro presence.

“League fans who live in Logan or Ipswich will not support a Redcliffe team, so the NRL would essentially restrict its supporter base to the Moreton Bay region.

“You need a CBD-based team to tap into the commercial and corporate opportunities needed to bankroll an NRL team.”

Redcliffe will argue they possess a financial trump-card in their rich Leagues Club. They also own adjacent commercial real estate occupied by supermarket giant Coles, whose rent bill provides crucial long-term cash flow for the Dolphins.

The NRL would prefer relocating a struggling Sydney team than granting more licences. ARLC chairman Peter Beattie said the League’s broadcasters had so far indicated little enthusiasm for 18 teams playing nine games a weekend.

“We (the ARL Commission) will say, ‘What do we want the footprint to look – is it another club in Brisbane or a club in Perth?’,’’ Beattie said.

“What do the broadcasters want? Then you decide how to achieve it.

“It may be there are financial incentives (to any Sydney clubs willing to move interstate).”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...l/news-story/b79a18c5ef49932de4075a32ad70c81c

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Any second team WILL play out of Suncorp.
Unless it’s actually in Brisbane it’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Ipswich and Moreton bay would FAIL at Suncorp. Would you like to play the Sunshine Coast falcons at Suncorp too ? Or maybe we should play the cutters out of Suncorp too, tokenism at its finest

Stallion

First Grade
Redcliffe are the frontrunners and the Bombers are not happy about it. The NRL has already indicated any potential expansion team from Brisbane would be benefitted from a club that is already established in the QLD Cup. The Bombers have refused to go down this path and instead want to get through the backdoor. Bombers argument that Dolphins will only appeal to Moreton bay region, can't you change that by renaming them Brisbane? North Queensland Cowboys are based in Townsville but they have a large rural supporter base who feel part of the teams identity even though the games are played in Townsville.

Brisbane Bombers shareholder Nick Livermore says Redcliffe NRL team would be destined to fail

Brisbane Bombers shareholder Nick Livermore has warned the ARL Commission a fourth Queensland NRL team based in Redcliffe is “fundamentally destined to fail”.

Prospective NRL franchises the Bombers, Ipswich and Central Queensland have outlaid almost $5 million collectively over the past eight years in their relentless pursuit to grow the sport and be part of the big league.

But The Sunday Mail’s revelations that Redcliffe is now the NRL’s No.1 target zone for another licence will rock Queensland’s Big Three bidding consortia.

Livermore, part of the Bombers’ bid since their inception in 2011, is adamant any club to challenge the mighty Broncos must be based in the heart of the Brisbane metropolitan region, home to 2.4 million people.

“A Redcliffe team is fundamentally destined to fail,” Livermore said.

“If the NRL hands a licence to Redcliffe, they are isolating more than three million people in the southeast Queensland market.

“If the NRL wants a national footprint, they need clubs with a metropolitan brand.

“Putting my Bombers interests aside, I’ve always maintained that the second Brisbane team - be it us, Ipswich or any other bid team - must have a metro presence.

“League fans who live in Logan or Ipswich will not support a Redcliffe team, so the NRL would essentially restrict its supporter base to the Moreton Bay region.

“You need a CBD-based team to tap into the commercial and corporate opportunities needed to bankroll an NRL team.”

Redcliffe will argue they possess a financial trump-card in their rich Leagues Club. They also own adjacent commercial real estate occupied by supermarket giant Coles, whose rent bill provides crucial long-term cash flow for the Dolphins.

The NRL would prefer relocating a struggling Sydney team than granting more licences. ARLC chairman Peter Beattie said the League’s broadcasters had so far indicated little enthusiasm for 18 teams playing nine games a weekend.

“We (the ARL Commission) will say, ‘What do we want the footprint to look – is it another club in Brisbane or a club in Perth?’,’’ Beattie said.

“What do the broadcasters want? Then you decide how to achieve it.

“It may be there are financial incentives (to any Sydney clubs willing to move interstate).”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...l/news-story/b79a18c5ef49932de4075a32ad70c81c

It's obvious the broadcasters are not keen to see the NRL dominate both developmentally and strategically. To baulk at 18 teams going forward in the foreseeable future is sheer lunacy on the part of broadcasters. An extra game to cover?Increased footprint for the code without losing fans? Clearly rugby league doesn't have allies in the broadcast industry! It's up to a strong NRL to show strategic intent and work towards 18 teams very soon*(very achievable: Central Coast Bears, North Brisbane Dolphins, West Coast Pirates etc) or continue on with the procrastination and underwhelming leadership.

jim_57

Staff member
Unless it’s actually in Brisbane it’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Ipswich and Moreton bay would FAIL at Suncorp. Would you like to play the Sunshine Coast falcons at Suncorp too ? Or maybe we should play the cutters out of Suncorp too, tokenism at its finest

Everything else aside good luck getting a stadium in Ipswich or Redcliffe built to regular NRL standard any time soon. Either will have to start at Suncorp you'd imagine then play politics to get stadium upgrades/rebuilds against proposals like a second stadium in Brisbane city, GABBA upgrades etc.

I do like the idea of eventually having 4 teams in South East Queensland going with the "semi-regional" approach for the next 2.

Brisbane Broncos - The 'City' team, will always have a huge following throughout QLD.
Moreton Bay Dolphins - Moreton Bay, North & East Brisbane, Sunny Coast.
West Brisbane Jets - Ipswich, Logan (West & South Brisbane), Toowoomba and South West QLD.
Gold Coast Titans - Gold Coast, up to Logan, Northern NSW.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The broadcasters almost always indicate "little enthusiasm" for expansion when it's suggested these days, because they are going broke they try to play it so that the competition agrees to expand with no added value to the broadcasting rights, in other words they're trying to get the content for free.

Just expand and demand that they pay for the extra content, if they refuse to then sell the extra content to someone else that will pay for it, having competitions matches spread across multiple networks (similar to what the NFL does in the US) is probably what is going to happen for a little while until streaming services completely take over anyway.

flippikat

Bench
Just expand and demand that they pay for the extra content, if they refuse to then sell the extra content to someone else that will pay for it, having competitions matches spread across multiple networks (similar to what the NFL does in the US) is probably what is going to happen for a little while until streaming services completely take over anyway.

THIS. Why wait for FTA TV to drive expansion decisions?

If the NRL were serious about maximising TV revenue they'd survey the options, figure out what the "best bet" for getting more TV money is, and just announce that "We're expanding to xxx and yyy", then sell the extra game that creates to whoever will pay for it.

If it also means splitting free-to-air reasonably evenly between 2 networks, so be it. I'm guessing that would have to happen if FTA rights are split, as I can't see one network having 2 or 3 games & the other just 1.

So, 9 games per weekend.. 2 on one FTA network, 2 on another FTA network, all 9 on Foxtel (including simulcast of FTA games)?

flippikat

Bench
It's obvious the broadcasters are not keen to see the NRL dominate both developmentally and strategically. To baulk at 18 teams going forward in the foreseeable future is sheer lunacy on the part of broadcasters. An extra game to cover?Increased footprint for the code without losing fans? Clearly rugby league doesn't have allies in the broadcast industry! It's up to a strong NRL to show strategic intent and work towards 18 teams very soon*(very achievable: Central Coast Bears, North Brisbane Dolphins, West Coast Pirates etc) or continue on with the procrastination and underwhelming leadership.

Todd has to deliver this year, I'm absolutely convinced the NRL needs to green-light expansion & formally call for bids this year.

Keep in mind that the 1995 expansion teams were announced in 1992 (2 full seasons -1993-4 - before their debut). If the NRL wants the same lead-in time before the next TV deal starts (2023), then the winning bids would need to be announced in 2020.. the call HAS to go out for bids this year.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Everything else aside good luck getting a stadium in Ipswich or Redcliffe built to regular NRL standard any time soon. Either will have to start at Suncorp you'd imagine then play politics to get stadium upgrades/rebuilds against proposals like a second stadium in Brisbane city, GABBA upgrades etc.

I do like the idea of eventually having 4 teams in South East Queensland going with the "semi-regional" approach for the next 2.

Brisbane Broncos - The 'City' team, will always have a huge following throughout QLD.
West Brisbane Jets - Ipswich, Logan (West & South Brisbane), Toowoomba and South West QLD.
Redcliffe have a good stadium already, hell add 5,000 seats and you have a better stadium the manly, sharks,

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
And sharing Suncorp shouldn't be a too difficult task if that's required!
Maybe 4 a year, the rest need to be in the area, or an even split !, we need the team to have a connection with the people. I feel that’s an issue with Sydney teams, the distance and it’s kinda soulless. Lost that tribalism

Stallion

First Grade
Maybe 4 a year, the rest need to be in the area, or an even split !, we need the team to have a connection with the people. I feel that’s an issue with Sydney teams, the distance and it’s kinda soulless. Lost that tribalism

Agree. Would think the big drawing clubs and derbies at Suncorp for sure. DOLPHINS V Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Storm and two of the big performing/supported Sydney clubs? South Sydney, St George Illawarra (If it's 6 games at Suncorp ) Big crowds for all those I suggest.

jim_57

Staff member
Redcliffe have a good stadium already, hell add 5,000 seats and you have a better stadium the manly, sharks,

Being better than Manly is hardly a pass mark for a stadium. They have a great QLD Cup ground, not really the capacity you'd want for a new NRL team.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Would the people of Ipswich and Logan object to the “Brisbane” part of the west Brisbane jets? I only ask because Ipswich and Logan are cities in their own right aren’t they and not suburbs of Brisbane?

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Would the people of Ipswich and Logan object to the “Brisbane” part of the west Brisbane jets? I only ask because Ipswich and Logan are cities in their own right aren’t they and not suburbs of Brisbane?
Logan is stuck between the Titian’s and the broncos, wouldn’t work. Ipswich could work in time, but it’s half the size of Moreton bay option with less potential reach.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Logan is stuck between the Titian’s and the broncos, wouldn’t work. Ipswich could work in time, but it’s half the size of Moreton bay option with less potential reach.
I also forgot to ask would they support travel to Suncorp or would the Queensland government fund a new stadium in the area?