What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane in box seat

alien

Referee
I agree that Ipswich deserves a team however calling the team Ipswich would alienate many Brisbanites and surrounding areas like Logan, Redlands, Moreton areas. There was talk of the western corridor bid going with a Jagera?! (sp) name or they many need to go with a generic West Brisbane.

I realise west is very generic but a new airport opened in Toowoomba last year called Brisbane West and it's around 120km from Brisbane

dcesrb.jpg

you like???

Last edited:

Band On The Run

Juniors
I agree that Ipswich deserves a team however calling the team Ipswich would alienate many Brisbanites and surrounding areas like Logan, Redlands, Moreton areas. There was talk of the western corridor bid going with a Jagera?! (sp) name or they many need to go with a generic West Brisbane.

I realise west is very generic but a new airport opened in Toowoomba last year called Brisbane West and it's around 120km from Brisbane
Not many people in those areas would turncoat from the Broncos or their current NRL teams anyway for a Brisbane II, let alone an Ipswich based team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They said the same in Perth when freo were muted. Everyone supports eagles no one will follow them they said, now avg 35k! Just got to tap into a geographic asocial demographic difference. Hasn't hurt freo being called a specific area, reality is they tend to generate their fanbase from south of river in Perth. New club needs to vibe seen as the SW corridor team, even though it will play at Suncorp.

Band On The Run

Juniors
They said the same in Perth when freo were muted. Everyone supports eagles no one will follow them they said, now avg 35k! Just got to tap into a geographic asocial demographic difference. Hasn't hurt freo being called a specific area, reality is they tend to generate their fanbase from south of river in Perth. New club needs to vibe seen as the SW corridor team, even though it will play at Suncorp.
Big difference is West Coast were 8 years old at the time. Broncos are 28 now.

In hindsight they should have kept the South Queensland Crushers, but the Broncos have been around for long enough to make it hard to just switch teams for no reason. I definitely wouldn't switch to a Brisbane II.

An Ippy team playing at a redeveloped North Ipswich Reserve with the Ipswich name is the most sensible choice for the next expansion team here. If Penrith (nothing against them) has their own NRL team, an Ipswich team playing in Ippy would be twice as successful. Not a Ipswich/Logan/Redlands combine (I grew up in Logan and I wouldn't change for a hybrid team and not sure if the Ippy locals would either).

Perth Red

Post Whore
No way the NRL is going to add a "suburban" team to the comp playing out of a crappy ground. They've got enough of them struggling in Sydney, they won't want to create one in Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL's next team will almost certainly come from south-east Queensland, where several bid teams are jockeying for position.

The jungle drums are beating ever louder that the next team to join the NRL will be from south-east Queensland.
For years the prospective franchises have been jockeying for position.
And in the wake of the NRL's first all-Queensland grand final, the game's rich new broadcast deal and pointed comments from ARL Commission chairman John Grant last week, competition is truly heating up.
The Broncos have enjoyed dominance of the market for nearly 30 years, save for the three crazy seasons when South East Queensland Crushers tried and failed to carve out a niche of their own.
But there are a number of options for Grant, NRL boss Dave Smith and strategy guru Shane Richardson to consider for expansion into the south-east when the time comes, most likely from 2018.
BRISBANE BOMBERS
The leading contender remains the Brisbane Bombers, a bid headed by Craig Davison, former chairman of the Brisbane Broncos Thoroughbreds, a powerful group of local businessmen with rugby league interests.
The Bombers have been pushing their high-powered case since 2010 and have already been linked to some of the game's biggest names, including Craig Bellamy, Greg Inglis and even rugby union star Quade Cooper.
The team intends to capitalise on the huge public support for rugby league in Brisbane and would play out of Suncorp Stadium - although earlier this year, bid chief executive Nicholas Livermore said a new ground to be built at Redcliffe could be incorporated in some way.
BROTHERS
Where the Bombers are a flashy new franchise aiming to capture support from the big end of town, the Past Brothers NRL bid is very much about community.
Brothers are a QRL institution, having won their last title in 1987 - the year before the Broncos entered the NSWRL.
While they also intend to play the majority of their games at Suncorp Stadium, Brothers have satellite clubs across the country and would play several NRL home matches in regional areas if given the nod.
Otherwise known as the Leprechauns, a Brothers NRL team could also base itself in Logan, the home of the strongest club in the Brothers network.
WESTERN CORRIDOR
The Ipswich Jets are in this weekend's NRL State Championship final and are heavily linked to the bid to bring a team to Brisbane's booming western corridor.
It is the fastest-growing region in the country, encompassing Brisbane's western suburbs, Ipswich, Toowoomba and Logan.
Again, Suncorp Stadium would be their home ground, until a boutique stadium in Ipswich is constructed. There is talk of joining forces with a group looking to start up a second Brisbane A-League team and petitioning government to build one.
REDCLIFFE DOLPHINS
The wildcard of the lot. If the NRL is looking for an established outfit with its own catchment area north of the Brisbane River and a successful Leagues Club, it's hard to look past Redcliffe.
The Dolphins are a QRL force with eight premierships to their name and a new 10,000 seat stadium on the way, thanks to $4 million of federal funding earlier this year.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/10/02/options-brisbane-nrl-expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
The proud Sydney clubs that came from the former competition otherwise known as the NSW Rugby League are its veins and arteries. The fact that the decider is an all-Queensland affair, though, should certainly sound an ominous warning to them about their future.

As this column understands it, they have about three years to get their house in order or they risk going the way of the North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets, dropping out of the competition to make way for the second Brisbane team. Expansion won't happen overnight but it will happen. A second Brisbane team is a matter of when, not if.
Advertisement

Given the precarious financial position of most clubs, there is no immediate rush to expand beyond the current structure of 16 teams. Relocating a Sydney team to Queensland simply won't work, although shifting the Gold Coast up the highway might be an option.
There are no provisions in the yet-to-be-completed television broadcast deal, but Nine boss David Gyngell would take a second Queensland side in a heartbeat, because it gives him more interstate product.
Last week, in this very space, we told you that the Brisbane Bombers are telling anyone who will listen that they have Craig Bellamy lined up as coach should they be given a licence.
We keep hearing they are also keen on Souths star Greg Inglis, who could look to move back to Brisbane for the final years of his career, if he's still playing. The Bombers have already sniffed around Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper.
For all the Bombers ambition, there's a belief that the proud Redcliffe Dolphins club might be a better option. They are rebuilding their stadium, are well established, and have a flourishing leagues club.
If Sydney clubs are nervous about their future, they should be.
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett was stunned when he came to Sydney to coach the Dragons. "I didn't know how much footy meant down here," he regularly mused. "We need to protect the game in Sydney." But charity begins at home. The apathy from Sydney supporters towards their code is going to cost them a club. Given the game's new power base, it shouldn't surprise.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...sbane-team-20151001-gjz22m.html#ixzz3nhAAeiJB

alien

Referee
the redcliffe dolphins option is interesting. maybe it could be a redcliffe/sunshine coast club, called "northern dolphins". their area could be anything north of pine river/north pine river in northern brisbane, all the way to the north of the sunshine coast area. the population of that whole area would have to be at least 300,000

possible logo:
lfcxv.jpg

or just:
o5xgdl.jpg

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I think at some point the NRL is going to need a plan for the Sunshine Coast but I don't know if merging/relocating a suburban team 75km down the road is the answer for a 3rd or even a 4th SE QLD side.

There's probably a similar negative with a suburban Ipswich side playing out of Lang Park which is 37km away. Penrith - which lets face it, is another suburban side - playing home games 46km away at Homebush - would struggle, so why would a promoted suburban Qld Cup team (which other QRL fans have animosity to) succeed?

Some (not all) key criteria --
1. Offer an alternate type of branding to the slick/corporate Broncos image - ideally something that has a Queensland heritage angle
2. Have a brand that is good enough to divide the Brisbane market 50/50 (rather than being just the Broncos little brother) and have state & national resonance
3. Unite the non-Broncos NRL supporters in SE QLD
4. Not divide RL supporters because of QRL loyalties
5. Engage the non-RL supporters in SE QLD
6. Target the core growth triangle - Ipswich-Beenleigh-CBD
7. Play out of Lang Park with a long term view of capacity increase & ownership
8. Strong corporate & grassroots support networks
9. If possible the NRL to work with all QLD NRL clubs to develop strategies for Central Qld, Sunshine Coast & other country areas

Diesel

Referee
Ipswich fans can get on a train and 35 minutes later be at Milton station without having to change trains. I'm sure an express making no more than 5 stops could do that trip in just over 20 minutes

docbrown

Coach
Ipswich fans can get on a train and 35 minutes later be at Milton station without having to change trains. I'm sure an express making no more than 5 stops could do that trip in just over 20 minutes

I'm not saying that they can't do that (some fans would), I'm saying if fans of existing clubs (like Penrith) are less/not inclined to travel such distances, why do we expect it to be a sustainable model for a suburban Ipswich side travelling to Lang Park?

The new side obviously has to play out of Lang Park but for it to work they need to appeal to more than just people in Ipswich. At the end of the day we want the 2nd Brisbane side to rival the Broncos in appeal rather than just being a little brother.

Diesel

Referee
There's talk of a new stadium for either Springfield or one on the NotthIpswich Reserve where the Jets play in Ipswich near the CBD. Problem is the State is broke and already has pledged funding for a stadium in NQ ($100m I think), so any stadium closer to Ippy will be a while off.

The Ipswich/Springfield debate is interesting as Orion has spent a lot of money in Springfield with a view to make this another CBD of Ipswich, potentially giving Ipswich two CBD's therefore do you build in a well established area or an upcoming area with a lot of potential?

Qld Rail opened a rail line to Springfield in 2013 so getting people to either CBD isn't an issue with an exchange at Darra.

Perth Red

Post Whore
neither you play NRL in the best RL stadium in the country every weekend. 20mins on a direct train is nothing, it takes me longer to get to nib stadium from 20kms away.

CQ Italia

Juniors
neither you play NRL in the best RL stadium in the country every weekend. 20mins on a direct train is nothing, it takes me longer to get to nib stadium from 20kms away.
700km drive for a once off with the Broncos-Roosters PF for me..

alien

Referee
i think the nrl will go with the brisbane bombers because they will say that the bombers would be financially stronger, and after having to give 4 nrl clubs loans recently, they would want to make sure any new club is financially sustainable and strong. hopefully it would also weaken the broncos a bit! :)
brisbane-bombers.jpg

i do think the sunshine coast will have an nrl club one day. the sunshine coast region has around 350,000 people, and that number is increasing!
logo-falcons-rlsc.png

Last edited: