What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Beowulf

Juniors
I asked the bid team on Facebook this:

Any news on your announcement?? Are you guys planning on engaging and getting the community involved some time soon?? What about starting a membership drive??

Their response:

Hey Adam, like everyone we are waiting for the Independent Commission to get in place and then we'll be pushing our cause and presenting as soon as viable.

We have a membership program and community engagement program in place and will roll it out as soon as we get the nod. It's important to not 'jump the gun' particularly if there's even further delays on the I.C or the expansion process.

Really appreciate your support Adam - we will keep updating information as soon as it's available. Cheers!

In other words, we fear we can't sustain momentum for more than a few months due to a lack of community support. We'll try a blitzkrieg of smoke and mirrors to get media coverage on Ch9 with which to pressure the IC.

Contrast that to bids that are out in the community and have for years developing grassroots support. This bid sickens me - its so anti-RL culture and anti-Australian. Even if the Bears get up as 1 franchise, I'd be disgusted if this was the other....an insult to all the bid teams.

Would the league consider 4 new teams? I know there is a worry about the player pool but at this point it would be hard to discount the strength of the bears logo, a presence in perth or a western corridor team.

I was surprised to find out that the sunshine coast is the 10th biggest city in Australia (if you can call it aa city without an obvious centre) and that the populations in Mackay (86,000), Rocky (79,000) and Gladstone (51,000) are so significant. Perhaps a team branded "Queensland Coast" or "Queensland Country" would be feasible.

If not, theres always the Wellington Orcas

sheepbender

Juniors
In other words, we fear we can't sustain momentum for more than a few months due to a lack of community support. We'll try a blitzkrieg of smoke and mirrors to get media coverage on Ch9 with which to pressure the IC.

Contrast that to bids that are out in the community and have for years developing grassroots support. This bid sickens me - its so anti-RL culture and anti-Australian. Even if the Bears get up as 1 franchise, I'd be disgusted if this was the other....an insult to all the bid teams.

Whilst I agree their approach compared to other bids is rather poor, defining them as Anti-Australian is a little over the top.

At the end of the day, I want the Brisbane 2 bid (albeit with a different name) and Perth to get up, but do ava soft spot for the Bears too, but the Bears approach isnt without its negatives either..

sheepbender

Juniors
Would the league consider 4 new teams? I know there is a worry about the player pool but at this point it would be hard to discount the strength of the bears logo, a presence in perth or a western corridor team.

I was surprised to find out that the sunshine coast is the 10th biggest city in Australia (if you can call it aa city without an obvious centre) and that the populations in Mackay (86,000), Rocky (79,000) and Gladstone (51,000) are so significant. Perhaps a team branded "Queensland Coast" or "Queensland Country" would be feasible.

If not, theres always the Wellington Orcas

Obviously theres zero chance of 4 teams coming in, that would be unheard of in any sport.
I believe the NRL has dropped the ball over the sports development, and perhaps we should have had the Bears and Perth back in a few years ago, least then we wouldnt be having the arguments about the Bears losing out again (cos they will).

I know the $$$ havent been available to support having expanded earlier than now. So from 2015 (preferably 2013/14) when 2 new teams come in, hopefully it wont take another 5-10 years for 2 more to come in. Honestly itll be Brisbane 2 and Perth, followed by Bears/ and one of CQ or NZ-2 (or maybe the Bears miss out again, unless the Sharks fold..

Perth Red

Post Whore

Bit harsh! I don't see they have done anything wrong up to this point. They have a set of good businessmen behind them, they have signed up some partner sponsorships, they have the countries best RL ground to play out of, love or hate it they have a name and have started marketing, they are undoubtly the club that is probably worth the most to the next TV deal. The only boxes they haven;t yet ticked are official link ups with Q'land cup clubs re jnr development and a community engagement/membership scheme.

docbrown

Coach
If Perth, Central Coast & South Queensland (just a generic term, I hope the financial & community elements are met) all meet the NRL's criteria - and I think they will - then I'd give them all entry - with the proviso though that the best 2 bids will get immediate call up and the 3rd best will wait for 2 years after that. At least that gives fans and the clubs a real timeline to work on.

By that time there should be a strategic plan in place regarding a 2nd NZ team which would round out the comp to 20.

Adelaide would obviously then have to be the next target with the Sunshine Coast - this may or may not involve a Sydney relocation or a Sydney merger (I still say Eastern-Sharks...) After that a 3rd New Zealand team, Central Queensland, a 2nd Melbourne team and potentially Port Moresby a long way down the track.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF for all Gallops promises I still don't believe the NRL want a CC team additional to the existing NRL NSW clubs. They had a chance last time when the Bears bid was far superior to the GC yet took a strategic direction and went GC. I can see the same thing happening again to the Bears. It is just a shame the NRL and Bears didn;t get together a few years ago and work out where the NRL wanted an expansion team and worked together to partner the Bears with that location.

I'd have supporeted a Perth Bears joint partnership between WARL and North Sydney, or they could have looked at Q'land. I know there are very strong reasons for the Bears to target the CC but at the end of the day if the NRL don't see that area as a strategic priority then it won;t really matter how good the BEars bid is.

Von

Juniors
Obviously theres zero chance of 4 teams coming in, that would be unheard of in any sport.
I believe the NRL has dropped the ball over the sports development, and perhaps we should have had the Bears and Perth back in a few years ago, least then we wouldnt be having the arguments about the Bears losing out again (cos they will).

I know the $$$ havent been available to support having expanded earlier than now. So from 2015 (preferably 2013/14) when 2 new teams come in, hopefully it wont take another 5-10 years for 2 more to come in. Honestly itll be Brisbane 2 and Perth, followed by Bears/ and one of CQ or NZ-2 (or maybe the Bears miss out again, unless the Sharks fold..

The ARL brought in 4 teams in 1995. Cowboys, Crushers, Warriors & Reds. Of course 2 died but they were casualties of the SL war, along with Gold Coast, Bears and other mergers. I would like to see 4 new teams, but I can't see it happening.

If Perth, Central Coast & South Queensland (just a generic term, I hope the financial & community elements are met) all meet the NRL's criteria - and I think they will - then I'd give them all entry - with the proviso though that the best 2 bids will get immediate call up and the 3rd best will wait for 2 years after that. At least that gives fans and the clubs a real timeline to work on.

I like that idea. A staggered approach.

TBF for all Gallops promises I still don't believe the NRL want a CC team additional to the existing NRL NSW clubs. They had a chance last time when the Bears bid was far superior to the GC yet took a strategic direction and went GC. I can see the same thing happening again to the Bears. It is just a shame the NRL and Bears didn;t get together a few years ago and work out where the NRL wanted an expansion team and worked together to partner the Bears with that location.

I'd have supporeted a Perth Bears joint partnership between WARL and North Sydney, or they could have looked at Q'land. I know there are very strong reasons for the Bears to target the CC but at the end of the day if the NRL don't see that area as a strategic priority then it won;t really matter how good the BEars bid is.
I'd like to see the Bears get back in, but as has been said many times, their biggest problem is one thing they can do nothing about...CC is too close to Sydney, and will be considered yet another team in the Sydney/NSW region.

I am starting another thread on, if we could start a new league from scratch, what teams would we have.

docbrown

Coach
Re the 4 teams, I don't think wanted to do that, I think they were forced to do that because any bid that didn't make the cut could have been scooped up by murdoch.

If there were no Super League war I have no doubt that all 4 clubs would still be around today. It would've been Sydney teams that would have merged or relocated to places like Adelaide & Melbourne.

adamkungl

Immortal
The only boxes they haven;t yet ticked are official link ups with Q'land cup clubs re jnr development and a community engagement/membership scheme.

Exactly. The only box they haven't ticked is fans. Anyone at all that wants them. I've heard lots of "worth a lot of TV $$" and lots of "Suncorp is too good to have 1 game every 2 weeks" but no "Our community needs and deserves this team and will throw our support behind them".

Nobody cares!

Goddo

Bench

Nice to see a bit of rational thought on this matter.

Spitty

Juniors
Personally I still don't like the bid and I agree with Beowulf that they are strategically timing there run to avoid burnout, better to be ignored now than to be ignored at the end of the race.

But I have to concede that they have 1 very strong advantage over CCBears, the same advantage that GC had over CC last time, which is the same thing that generally decides every decision in the game of Rugby League. Politics, politics, politics.

Personally I don't care whether there's another NSW team in the NRL. But you can bet your bottom $ the QRL will kick up a massive stink over it and you can bet that despite CCBears research most other NRL clubs will take the conservative approach with the conventional wisdom in that: Qld will bring more TV $$; And CCBears will dilute 9 Sydney clubs and Qld will only dilute 1.

And I know that IC has the vote not the clubs or the QLR, but the IC is voted on by the clubs and other stake holders and like any other board in the world there number 1 priority is to 'remain the board' and tonnes of meetings, backroom deals, agreements to vote a certain way for other favour's will no doubt take place between now and then. And if the bids are close, it's these politics which will decide who gets the spots.

Goddo

Bench
You call it politics, but quite clearly the best business case for NRL expansion would be Perth and Brisbane.

Other factors muddy the water a bit, but you only have to look at expansion in the past to see where we are heading - growth and better market reach.

Cronulla (only because CRL blocked Wollongong)/Penrith
Canberra/Illawarra
Newtown culled, Wests moved
Brisbane/Gold Coast/Newcastle
North Queensland/South Queensland/Perth/Auckland
Norths eye off Central Coast
SL mess
Melbourne
Sydney mergers
South Sydney (only through courts)
Gold Coast

*Perth/South Queensland*

Adelaide would obviously then have to be the next target with the Sunshine Coast - this may or may not involve a Sydney relocation or a Sydney merger (I still say Eastern-Sharks...) After that a 3rd New Zealand team, Central Queensland, a 2nd Melbourne team and potentially Port Moresby a long way down the track.

Like many, I'm a huge advocate for the relocation of the Sharks.

I think Southern Sharks, once Adelaide is ready would be the way to go. People in SA are more likely to identify with South than CQ or the Sunshine Coast with East. I think the same goes for Cronulla fans would would still turn up to see 2 games a year at Toyota Stadium