What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
The roosters still do a good job making coin and sustaining their own existence. Kinda kills your reason for them to move. South Sydney are based in a tiny geographical area and have a small fan base within their 'Home' region. Let's move them. :roll:

I thought souffs already relocated?

Perth Red

Post Whore
From their Facebook page:

Bid Director Craig Davison was on ABC Grandstand today and indicated the Brisbane Bombers are ready for 2014 and believe it would add close to $2...0m in additional TV revenue as indicated by Channel 9 CEO David Gyngell.

That being said, the business plan is sliding and whilst certain players may not be available in 2014, the goal is for then and if the 2015 season is flagged as the preferred choice, we'll be ready.

To confirm - this team will be Brisbane based, but for Rugby League supporters throughout the SE Corner who love Rugby League and don't align themselves with the Broncos or Titans. We will have grassroot programs throughout the State that don't canabilise the Broncos or Titans marketshare, but provide a framework to grow our great game.

Make no mistake - this team WILL be successful, both on and off the field for the long run.

BuffaloRules

Coach
According to Roy Masters on the Offsiders today, he said that Channel 9 is doing a lot of pushing for a second Brisbane side to increase the amount of games "for the loyal QLD audience" ...

Spitty

Juniors
According to Roy Masters on the Offsiders today, he said that Channel 9 is doing a lot of pushing for a second Brisbane side to increase the amount of games "for the loyal QLD audience" ...

No doubt that'll be an issue and I think if they can prove that they are well above sustainable, then they're a better than even chance of admission.

Only problem is that at this stage they have corporate support, but no people and without people they can't prove that they're sustainable long term. They have the capital to survive for a year or two without strong fan support, but without fans the corporate support will dry up and the club'll go belly up.

It's too early to call whether they'll have that support by the time admissions are called for, but they are behind the 8 ball compared to other bids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree. I find it baffling that they don't see this an issue (as per reply I got on Facebook) I guess they have found a way to address this in their bid submission ( I am guessing they will show Crushers initial crowds and the number of people who watch RL in Brisbane on TV but don't go to Broncos games as proof that a fanbase exists)

applesauce

Bench
Bet the bid team are regretting their decision to base themselves at Albion. Plans to double Southbank and extending it almost Davies Park, (which could of been included and still can be I guess if they get a licence) making it a great hub to base a team out of with another huge entertainment precinct.

Slim chance of Anna getting back in but this would be great if the Bid team was based south of the River, plus we would have a true North v South derby.

Goddo

Bench
^ agreed on the North South thing. If there is a second "Brisbane" side it needs a point of difference from the broncos.

Anyone know whats doing with the Queensland Cup this year? Which clubs are currently affiliated with which bids? As I understand it, it is a 12 team comp like:

Burleigh Bears - Titans
Tweed Heads Seagulls - Titans
Ipswich Jets - Titans (Western Corridor bid)
-
Northern Pride RLFC - Cowboys
Mackay Cutters - Cowboys
-
Norths Devils - Broncos
Wynnum Manly Seagulls - Broncos
Redcliffe Dolphins - Broncos (Bombers bid, may go alone with Sunshine Coast?)
Central Comets - Broncos (CQ bid)
-
Easts Tigers - none (was Storm)
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles - none (was Manly) (Bombers bid, may go alone with Redcliffe?)
Souths Logan Magpies - none (was Canberra) (was Western Corridor but now Bombers?)

There are 3 distinct regions that want an NRL side affiliation -
Ipswich-Souths Logan
Sunshine Coast-Redcliffe
Central Queensland

Regardless of expansion, the NRL will need to fill the void of kicking non-QLD clubs out of Queensland somehow.

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
^ agreed on the North South thing. If there is a second "Brisbane" side it needs a point of difference from the broncos.

Anyone know whats doing with the Queensland Cup this year? Which clubs are currently affiliated with which bids? As I understand it, it is a 12 team comp like:

Burleigh Bears - Titans
Ipswich Jets - Titans (Western Corridor bid)
-
Northern Pride RLFC - Cowboys
Mackay Cutters - Cowboys
-
Norths Devils - Broncos
Wynnum Manly Seagulls - Broncos
Redcliffe Dolphins - Broncos (Bombers bid, may go alone with Sunshine Coast?)
Central Comets - Broncos (CQ bid)
-
Easts Tigers - none (was Storm)
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles - none (was Manly) (Bombers bid, may go alone with Redcliffe?)
Souths Logan Magpies - none (was Canberra) (was Western Corridor but now Bombers?)

There are 3 distinct regions that want an NRL side affiliation -
Ipswich-Souths Logan
Sunshine Coast-Redcliffe
Central Queensland

Regardless of expansion, the NRL will need to fill the void of kicking non-QLD clubs out of Queensland somehow.

Burleigh Bears - Titans
Ipswich Jets - Titans (Upset with only two Titans players aligned with the Jets this season and are currently working out a deal to join the Broncos in 2013)
Easts Tigers - Storm
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles - None (All but agreed to be the Bombers feeder team)
Souths Logan Magpies - None (Canberra still have links but don't provide players, likely to join with Western Corridor if accepted)
Northern Pride - Cowboys
Mackay Cutters - Cowboys
Central Queensland Capras - Broncos (New name and colours)
Redcliffe Dolphins - Broncos
Wynnum-Manly Seagulls - Broncos
Norths Devils - Broncos

Clydesdales are back playing in FOGS Colts in 2012 working towards rejoining the Queensland Cup.

QRL and Nine are negotiating over a possible deal for the Queensland Cup rights.

Latest posts