What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shiznit

Coach
images

2017 British & Irish Lions tour to NZ

3 June v NZ Barbarians, Toll Stadium, Whangarei

7 June v Blues, Eden Park, Auckland

10 June v Crusaders, AMI Stadium, Christchurch

13 June v Highlanders, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

17 June v Maori All Blacks, Rotorua International Stadium

20 June v Chiefs, Waikato Stadium Hamilton

24 June v All Blacks (1st test), Eden Park, Auckland

27 June v Hurricanes, Westpac Stadium, Wellington

1 July v All Blacks (2nd test), Westpac Stadium, Wellington

8 July v All Blacks (3rd tst), Eden Park, Auckland

Source: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...r-to-new-zealand-full-list-of-fixtures-q00881

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Barbarians-vs-British-Irish-Lions.jpeg

First game of the tour about to start in 30mins up in Whangarei.

You would think the Lions should destroy these guys.

This Barbarians side is made up of provincial players so it's a selection from the level under super rugby.

A couple of them have some super experience but the majority of these guys have day jobs.

Interesting that the Barbarians have Bryn Gatland at 10... he's the son of Lions coach Warren Gatland... :joy::joy:

Also Ben Te'o makes his Lions debut.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Lions win 13 - 7.

Pretty rubbish performance from them TBH.

They were up against a bunch of guys who can't get a full time Super Rugby contract.

The Lions will need to do ALOT better if they are going to stand a chance against the Super teams let alone the Maori and eventually the All Blacks.

shiznit

Coach
DR3kZ7qS4qphNmgLoc12pSmfLR6L4eW7_Lo7xrzIaRLxOBentIsZwt2PzhGlvUlqzQh2rXMEmMc6DL6XNB7QIEvbLz68IBtUU5LGuXEOYipx-IB50KOtIZdRldtmIcFuT28qyQ=w530-h277-nc

Lions vs Blues tonight at Eden Park.

Terrible display first up vs the Baabaas.

If they play like that against the Blues they will get beaten.

shiznit

Coach
Wow Blues get the win in a very good game.

22-16

The winning try was a beauty... Lutua magic offload to SBW with a magic offload to Ihaia Wedy who burns off the defence.

Man this could be a rough tour... they just lost to the bottom of the NZ super rugby conference...

To be fair... the Blues are ahead of the top Australian team... so they are a pretty good team.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Geez after looking at the Lions upcoming games and watching the Blues game, they could very well lose all their games from here. This could be the Lions worse ever tour.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This could be a very long tour for the poms, hell even the Tahs could give them a run for their money

King hit

Coach
I really hope the Lions can put up a good challenge to the All Blacks. Last year's Rugby championship was very boring to watch because of how great New Zealand were and how below par Australia, South Africa and Argentina were. The Lions do have a fair share of poms and England are going very well but I still think if they manage to win 1 test that would be a huge achievement. I just can't see the All Blacks losing in New Zealand at all.

Would love to be proved wrong

Before the tour began, I said theyd put 40 on the baabaas, beat the Blues by 10 in a close game, then lose every game from there on in. Jesus, they're going worse than that...though I think they may beat the Maori ABs, and possibly another Super franchise, they need to sort their shit out before the tests.

shiznit

Coach
Good strong Maori All Blacks Squad named...

Forwards

Props:
Chris Eves - North Harbour - Waikato/Tainui (7 appearances)

Kane Hames - Tasman - Ngāi Tuhoe/Ngāti Porou (5)

Mike Kainga - Taranaki - Ngāti Kahungunu (2)

Ben May - Hawke's Bay - Ngāti Maniapoto (12)

Marcel Renata - Auckland - Ngāti Whānaunga / Te Aupouri (4)

Hookers
Ash Dixon (captain) - Hawke's Bay - Ngāti Tahinga (8)

Hikawera Elliot - Counties Manukau - Ngāti Awa (9)

Locks
Tom Franklin - Otago - Ngāti Maniapoto (4)

Leighton Price - Taranaki - Waikato/Ngāti Maniapoto (3)

Joe Wheeler - Tasman - Ngāi Tahu (2)

Loose forwards
Elliot Dixon - Southland - Ngāpuhi (9)

Akira Ioane - Auckland - Ngāpuhi/Te Whānau ā Apanui (5)

Liam Messam - Waikato - Ngāti Maniapoto (12)

Reed Prinsep - Canterbury - Te Rārawa (2)

Kara Pryor - Northland - Ngāti Awa/Ngāti Pikiao/Ngāti Rangitihi (2)

Backs
Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow - Waikato - Tainui (2)

Bryn Hall - North Harbour - Ngāti Ranginui

Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi - Taranaki - Ngāti Pikiao

First five-eighths
Otere Black - Manawatu - Ngāi Tuhoe/Te Whānau ā Apanui/Ngāti Tūwharetoa (4)

Ihaia West - Hawke's Bay - Ngāti Kahungunu/Ngāti Porou (7)

Midfielders
Tim Bateman - Canterbury - Ngāi Tahu (12)

Charlie Ngatai - Taranaki - Ngāti Porou/Te Whānau ā Apanui/Te Whakatōhea (9)

Matt Proctor - Wellington - Ngāi Te Rangi/Ngāpuhi (9)

Rob Thompson - Canterbury - Ngāti Kahungunu

James Lowe - Tasman - Ngāpuhi/Ngāi Te Rangi (5)

Outside backs
Damian McKenzie - Waikato - Ngāti Tūwharetoa/Ngāti Tahinga (3)

Nehe Milner-Skudder - Manawatu - Ngāti Porou/Tapuika (2)

Declan O'Donnell - Taranaki - Ngāti Tūwharetoa/Ngāti Porou (1)

From: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11872291

shiznit

Coach
961610-438069-34.jpg

Crusaiders vs Lions tonight.

Top team in super rugby. Unbeaten all season.

This is a great chance for the Lions to get some respect back.

I think they should win this.

strong_latte

Juniors
Don't watch a tonne of Rugby, but I always enjoy these Lions tours. But man, it really feels like the poms are clutching at straws already on this one - they've won 1 from 3 games against the Super Rugby sides and they've been bashed in the scrums in all the games I've watched - even against the Crusaders who they contained pretty well (even if they couldn't score a try themselves).

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Don't watch a tonne of Rugby, but I always enjoy these Lions tours. But man, it really feels like the poms are clutching at straws already on this one - they've won 1 from 3 games against the Super Rugby sides and they've been bashed in the scrums in all the games I've watched - even against the Crusaders who they contained pretty well (even if they couldn't score a try themselves).
They're useless. They're going to lose all their games from here.

strong_latte

Juniors
They're useless. They're going to lose all their games from here.

Yeah, the signs don't look good. I watched that Crusaders game and even though the Lions were good, it was a success built on their size and ability to bully the Crusaders with their rush defence. With the ABs mammoth backline and much more dynamic attacking range, that's not going to save them.

Also, does anyone else find it hilarious just how dominant Ben Te'o has been in the UK? The bloke was solid in League, but he only ever scraped a bench spot in Origin and was never going to be a Kangaroo.

shiznit

Coach
961613-438071-34.jpg

The Maori vs The Lions

The unofficial 4th test.

As a proud Maori I always look forward to this game once every Lions tour to NZ.

The Maori team looks very good... but I think they will be hampered by the fact they only come together this week unlike the super teams who have been together all year.

I'm picking the Lions to win tonight... but I'll be hoping the Maori can emulate the team from 2005 who pulled off a famous victory vs the Lions.

The Lions seriously need to play well tonight.. The All Blacks looked absolutely ruthless last night... so it's looking ominous for the Lions.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Was always going to be a thrashing last night. The Maori forward pack was terrible.. and anyone who though the lions wouldn't win any more games was an idiot. They will most probably beat the Chiefs and Canes minus their All Blacks as well.