What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos get last minute shake-up

Kaz

junior
http://www.broncos.com.au/default.asp?pg=matchpreview&spg=display&articleid=22459

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has been forced into several last minute positional and personnel changes for this Sunday’s clash with the Parramatta Eels at Suncorp Stadium (Kick-off 2.00pm).

Centre Shaun Berrigan (hamstring) and backrower Brad Meyers (cork) were both forced to withdraw due to their lack of preparation and the pair will join Test second rower Dane Carlaw (knee) in the stands for the match.

The withdrawals see youngsters Tom Learoyd and Neville Costigan called onto the bench, with the 18-year-old Learoyd to make his debut in the top grade after just one match in the QRL.

The 116-kg giant was devastating last weekend for the Toowoomba Clydesdales against the Tweed Seagulls and while big things are expected from the athletic big man, coach Wayne Bennett was not putting any pressure on him ahead of Sunday’s match.

“I saw his game last week and he was excellent,” Bennett said.

“I am putting plenty of faith in the young men at this club and I wouldn’t do that if I didn’t believe they were up to it.

“I only expect from him what I know he is capable of. But he is on debut and there are 16 other players out there I expect a bit more from than Tom.

“But I don’t have any real concerns with promoting young blokes. The young guys these days are a lot more mature than in previous years. They have been through Australian Schoolboys and Australian under-19’s.

“Rookies these days are much more worldly and experienced than youngsters in the past.”

In other changes to the line-up, Karmichael Hunt and Michael De Vere pair up in the centres, with Nick Parfitt moving onto the wing.

Blockbusting utility Tonie Carroll will go into the pack, but both he and Casey McGuire are expected to be used in the backline at different stages throughout the game.

Bennett was happy with how the team had prepared for the Eels, despite several players missing sessions through injury and illness throughout the week.

The veteran Broncos mentor said he expected a fiery opening to the match and a much-improved all-round showing from Parramatta after they were flogged by the Bulldogs in last weekend’s opening round.

That loss combined with the turmoil surrounding the club following Test centre Jamie Lyon’s decision to quit the club will only strengthen the rest of the squad according to Bennett.

“They will be very determined and committed, no doubt about that,” Bennett said.

“Everyone knows there has only been one game played, so there is plenty of time to turn the season around. They will be up here with a real positive attitude and they will be a very dangerous side.

“We know that. They have plenty of classy footballers, we certainly aren’t writing them off after one ordinary performance.”

BRISBANE v Parramatta

BRONCOS: Motu Tony, Nick Parfitt, Michael De Vere, Karmichael Hunt, Stu Kelly, Darren Lockyer, Brett Seymour, Shane Webcke, Barry Berrigan, Petero Civinoceva, Gorden Tallis, Tonie Carroll, Casey McGuire.

Interchange: Corey Parker, Darren Mapp, Tom Learoyd, Neville Costigan

NPK

Bench
I didn't expect those changes...not good that Berrigan is out - he is playing well at centre.

Does Parfitt play much wing? I thought he was a fullback. He seems to jumped ahead of Minto, Frawley and Alberts in the pecking order.

Southernsaint

Staff member
It's the Diet Coke of last minute shake-ups compared to Saints this week :lol:

Still, Brisbane should be far too strong for Parra, even taking the Eels good record in Brisbane into account...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Macca

Coach
St.Geo-Illa have certainly had a rough week. Why did they drop Firman. He was good without Barret last year. Barrett is out for 3-4 weeks BTW, he is having minor surgery. Go WARRIORS! :lol:

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Yeah i don't understand why Firman was dropped, he is a good young player and does well with Barrett and also without. Just look at how he played last season without him.

miccle

Bench
hahhaah neville's by reputation? Obviously someone is either not from Qld or doesn't follow the game at ALL. If you've read anything about league lately you might have seen the name Tom Learoyd appear ..... about a thousand times. The bloke is 116kg and can run the 100m in 11.5 seconds! Awesome runner of the ball too - can't wait to see the "neville" tear the eels apart :lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
maybe Mr Not so silent bob should go back to being silent as he obviously doesn't follow league.