What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Dazzat

First Grade
Gillett is an elite player now ... probably one of the first picked for an Australian team.

His attack has been a little down of late, but defensively, the best fringe forward in the game bar none.

With Parker gone next year, he'll take on a greater leadership role.It will be interesting if Bennett moves into the middle of the park to replace Parker and maybe plays Pangia Jr on the fringe. But a straight swap with Parker and Arrow seems the most likely.

DeeJ

Bench
I thought it was quite clear that Glenn will move to Parker's role in the middle. He is bigger than he has been before and has played there all season since coming off the bench. Not sure if he can last the full 80 but his runs have impact and he is a great defender.

Dazzat

First Grade
You could be right DJ ... could be exactly why Bennett switched Thaiday to the left and Glenn to the centre at the end of the year - and it worked a treat. I thought Glenn was one of the best forwards in our last few games.

Nightward

Juniors
So apparently we have Benji now.

Anyone else want to bet this means Hunt has until about week 6 to show cause to continue or be replaced with the Broncos to go all in for Foran or Taylor in 2018?

League guru

Juniors
When I have seen Hunt interviewed he never seems to smile or show much enthusiasm. He gives the impression that it is all a bit of a chore and that he doesn't want to be there. Might be time for a change.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
When I have seen Hunt interviewed he never seems to smile or show much enthusiasm. He gives the impression that it is all a bit of a chore and that he doesn't want to be there. Might be time for a change.
Yeah I know what youre sayin. For me, he reminds of me a boy thats hiding something. That "something", just might be that he doesnt like league and he hates having to go to work. If only he was more passionate and cocky, then we might have a more solid performer in Ben Hunt.

Benji Marshall is an exciting signing. I see Bennett replacing the lifeless Hunt with Marshall and giving Marshall the permission to play HIS game. I cant see Benji being placed in the centres. Fullback? Maybe if Boyds out.

Last edited:

Nightward

Juniors

Most of the interviews I've seen were after the dropped ball in the grand final, and a lot of RL players come across as wooden or reticent.

I think he's just mentally shot. Every time he gets his hands on the ball he flashes back to that one moment in 2015, is shaken by it, and can't just play the game in front of him. He'd be tired of getting questions about that and his (lack of) form too. There were a few times where he seemed to be getting it together, especially after we beat the Cowboys early in the season but it never seemed to stick.

It's not like the Broncos don't have an arsenal of sports psychologists and players they could send him to talk to either. Hodges and passing in-goal in Origin. Lockyer and that rep debut. Alf and his pre-game nerves. Webcke nearly breaking down mentally because he felt like he had to win the game with every play. And so on and so forth.

I sympathise with Hunt because I know how that sort of stuff can prey on your mind, but there's only so much leeway you can give before hard decisions have to be made. Ultimately he might be better off in QLD Cup football or going to Sydney too. Where he is now is a shame because he was really developing well.

a8444d39edbd2b461d69d9528c205be2.jpg

DeeJ

Bench

He seems like a very modest, humble guy. I watched a Footy Show interview on him and he admitted he didn't feel he belonged at the top level until he won the Broncos best player award - and that was only last year.

I can't believe you guys are giving up on Hunt let alone with a over the hill Marshall who hasn't shown anything in years. Hunt wasn't great this year, but was on the improve by the end of the season and showed glimpses of his best. His kicking game got better by the end of the year and he was in the top 3 try assists.

League guru

Juniors
He seems like a very modest, humble guy. I watched a Footy Show interview on him and he admitted he didn't feel he belonged at the top level until he won the Broncos best player award - and that was only last year.

I can't believe you guys are giving up on Hunt let alone with a over the hill Marshall who hasn't shown anything in years. Hunt wasn't great this year, but was on the improve by the end of the season and showed glimpses of his best. His kicking game got better by the end of the year and he was in the top 3 try assists.

I'm not giving up on him, Wayne's the one who signed Marshall, so Wayne must be the one giving up on him.

At 27 and after 160 first grade games, he should be showing some consistency by now.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Benji will be halves depth only. At best he will challenge Nikorima for utility.

I'm worried about the state of our forward pack. Lose Parker and Wallace and gain.... Dodds.

Nightward

Juniors
At 200K for the year I suspect he's there for more than 3-4 games a season.

In the forwards we have Pangai. I think the plan is to move Glenn (maybe Thaiday) to 13 and bring Pangai on in his place. Losing Parker's going to hurt but the real issue is still the props, where we've been a bit thin since like Civoneceiva.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
At 200K for the year I suspect he's there for more than 3-4 games a season.

In the forwards we have Pangai. I think the plan is to move Glenn (maybe Thaiday) to 13 and bring Pangai on in his place. Losing Parker's going to hurt but the real issue is still the props, where we've been a bit thin since like Civoneceiva.

Only paid 100-110k a year for him.

Nightward

Juniors
Only paid 100-110k a year for him.

Media's reporting twice that and given the NRL have intervened when similar players were being offered deals of less than 120K a year I'm inclined to believe his salary would be closer to the 200K than to 100K. Even allowing for media sensationalisation.

Nerd

Bench
Then where is he going to play, Champ.
You would imagine that Bennett has signed Benji as a back up for the halves and centres during Origin and through injuries. Remember Alex Glenn had to fill in at centre quite a few times during the last season. Hard to see Benji getting a game otherwise.