What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos targeting Jason Demetriou

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett targeting former Cowboys assistant coach Jason Demetriou
57ab656dce72876d988ece3dca4f47f3

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
39 minutes ago
Subscriber only

KEVIN Walters’ hopes of returning to the Broncos appear slim with Wayne Bennett targeting former Cowboys assistant Jason Demetriou to be his right-hand man.

Demetriou is a leading candidate to replace assistant Steve Kearney, who quit the Broncos last month to relaunch his NRL head-coaching career with the Warriors.

Brisbane’s coaching team is set for a fresh look next season with Queensland legend Trevor Gillmeister considering a role as the Broncos’ forwards coach.

Now Demetriou is on Bennett’s radar after an outstanding past three seasons that has flagged the 40-year-old as one of the code’s most promising coaches.

LIFELINE: Bennett move that could save Benji’s career

SHOCK: Wally stunned by Bennett’s Benji bid

Queensland Origin coach Walters was hopeful of returning to the Broncos in 2017 after his planned comeback to Red Hill in July was torpedoed by Bennett at the eleventh hour.

6b01075d225b8fc607316bc4f28e3a8f

Kevin Walters’ return to the Broncos is looking remote.
But with Demetriou high on Brisbane’s coaching hit list, the prospect of Walters reprising his role as Bennett’s assistant seems remote.

Demetriou’s manager Chris Sheppard confirmed the assistant to Dragons coach Paul McGregor has attracted the attention of the Broncos.

“We’ve had expressions of interest from several clubs, including the Broncos,” Sheppard said.

“Jason is a high-quality coach and a coach on the way up.

“There’s a number of clubs who have expressed some interest. He is contracted to the Dragons for next season, so we’re working our way through that.

“Wherever he goes, players love him. They want to play for him and that’s why he is getting results on a consistent basis.”

Demetriou, who failed to play NRL but enjoyed a 12-year career in England, has built an impressive coaching resume.

In 2014, he steered the Northern Pride to the Intrust Super Cup premiership, leading to his promotion to the Cowboys under coach Paul Green.

382f26a395308f754334a03797c31ced

Jason Demetriou during a Dragons training session.
In his maiden year at the Cowboys, Demetriou and Dave Furner helped Green shatter North Queensland’s 20-year title drought with their grand-final defeat of the Broncos.

Last season, Demetriou had more success, winning the NSW Cup title with Illawarra before steering the Cutters to the NRL State Championship with a 54-12 drubbing of Burleigh.

Demetriou was tight-lipped about Brisbane’s interest but spoke of his desire to eventually take charge of an NRL team.

“I think the Broncos have spoken to my manager, I’m leaving it up to him to sort it out,” he said.

“If you told me I’d be part of the last three grand final days, you would have had to pinch me.

“I’d love to be a head coach one day, that’s the dream and that’s what I’m working hard for.

“I’m still contracted to the Dragons and enjoying it here so we’ll see what happens.”

Comments

The Doc

Juniors
Nothing confirmed yet ... but gee it doesnt sound good.
Lets hope he sticks around in 2017, cause if he does he will live his dream of being a first grade coach before the season ends.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Thanks everyone, but this is it for me.
I look forward to a club coached by a former player and assisted by former players with no real experience or competence and letting go of the only promising prospect for the future.
It's been real guys. Peace.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
FFS! This bloke should be our coach for 2017 and cause he is not,now all these grub clubs are circling. I really bope he replaces Mary after the first 6 wks or he is as good as gone.
Would have to think he would put a clause in any contract though that states if he gets a head coaching role somewhere all bets are off.

hewi

Bench
Firstly, he is under contract to us for 2017. Secondly he will not become the Broncos head coach in the foreseeable future with Bennett there IMO. So, realistically his best chance is to stay where he is and I'd say he will be our first grade coach in 2018. I hope I'm correct anyway.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The only thing I was looking forward to next year was Mary getting sacked after a few rounds and JD rising to the helm. So much for that.
Watch Ben Hornby and Dean Young get promoted to assistant coaches now.
What a f**king boys club. Doust you should be f**king ashamed of yourself. I hope Coyne blindsides you when you least expect it and takes your job you f**king useless, incompetent moron.

hazzbeen

Bench
It just keeps getting worst ..... you would think something has been put into place to keep him. If he goes he will be followed by some players you would think ....

wayne57

Juniors
Oh NO! This will Fk everything if true.
It will absolutely smash any slightest ray of hope that we had left and leave Mary once again as teflon. F**k it!
Yes Mcgregor threw him under the bus all the way to the Broncos and the board letting it happen how fk are they

Crossbow

Juniors
Oh no.Elvis is leaving the building.We are in deep Sh:t now.I was talking to another dragons supporter and I will not even watch next year.It was some mind numbing footy we dished up last year.Oh my god we need help!

hazzbeen

Bench
The only thing I was looking forward to next year was Mary getting sacked after a few rounds and JD rising to the helm. So much for that.
Watch Ben Hornby and Dean Young get promoted to assistant coaches now.
What a f**king boys club. Doust you should be f**king ashamed of yourself. I hope Coyne blindsides you when you least expect it and takes your job you f**king useless, incompetent moron.
So JD is ok for Bennett and the Broncos but not for us even with a head coach that is going backwards .... I have also just about had enough ....

Latest posts