What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos targeting Jason Demetriou

twinkletoes

Juniors
JD loves the Dragons and would certainly stay if he could see a "Pathway". After his very successful Cutters season he should at the very least have been named "officially" as Assistant Coach. We could not even manage to do that for fear of upsetting McGregor. We get what we deserve...

Jubileeboy

First Grade
With all the toys being thrown out of the cot, does this mean that those same people are happy to have another rookie coach for at least the next 2 years?
I think JD is a better coach than McGregor but is he what we need? Because that's what will happen...
(Any established coach would be better than McGregor)

BringTheNoise

Juniors
With all the toys being thrown out of the cot, does this mean that those same people are happy to have another rookie coach for at least the next 2 years?
I think JD is a better coach than McGregor but is he what we need? Because that's what will happen...

I understand what you're saying, but this is more about losing the tiny shred of hope we had left.

grouch

First Grade
I was happy to lose Demetriou if an experienced coach was appointed. I struggle to see how losing him before that has happened is a good thing - but of course Jubileeboy has no trouble finding the bright side of every steaming turd that trickles from the club's gaping anus

BennyV

Referee
Why 2 years? I'd be happy for him to take the role next year (ie finish off Marys contract) with clauses in our favour to extend if he meets certain benchmarks and KPIs he must meet or he will be moved on. Meanwhile, we make moves to find the single best option to take over in 2018.

Easily a better option than the status quo.

wayne57

Juniors
I would prefer Cleary, Hasler etc but in saying that, having JD there to take over as care tacker coach when Mcgregor gets sacked is a much more positive outcome and it also gives JD a chance to show if he is ready for step up to NRL level.

The other thing is this a ploy by the board to let JD go, to take pressure off them when Mcgregor again fails. The excuse being for not sacking him, Mcgregor being the only option available.

I know one thing the word coach and Mcgregor should never appear in the same sentence, paragraph or page and this will be last time I associate the two together.

j0nesy

Bench
Yes, he is what the club needs based on what we can realistically can afford.

Sigurd

Juniors
For once I'm going to be the optimist among you homies.
The night is darkest just before the dawn.
It may be a cliche but it's still true. The Dragons to handily lose the first 6 games of next season which brings the crisis to a head and forces drastic changes.

Pretty much anyone but supercoach Price would be better than the current set-up but I still believe Brian Smith is the best option for rebuilding a shattered team.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I find it amazing that the club, with all this noise happening, releases no statement or press release on any of our issues. Instead lets just feed them player reviews, that will keep the masses happy.
The Board for all we know are probably sunning themselves on holiday in the Bahamas or somewhere similar, totally oblivious to the "goings on" of the football club.
Where is the update on recruiting? Vaughan and now Shaun Nona, who else are we targeting, seeing pre-season begins in 2-3 weeks. Who is our new head of medical (replacing Ayoub) and who are the support team around him/her? Where are the words of wisdom emanating from our illustrious HC eg: plans, ideas etc for 2017? Who will play in what position and what is being done to prepare them for pre-season?
Yesterday, the Dogs announced the signing of 6 players, including our own Tom Carr. We release SFA with regards to anything.......just player reviews (whilst entertaining in some aspects, the reality of statistics clearly show how pathetic we were this year).
Now we have the issue of Jason Demetriou. Probably, heir apparent to a first grade gig, when the opportunity arises (with any club). We have him at the moment, but that means nothing in today's world. Millward and Co (Doust etc) will probably say "well he's contracted to us for 2017", however, so was Ayoub and last year Mullholland. They will probably sit dumbfounded at this development, heads buried in the ground, hoping it will all go away.
With membership meandering (I think someone posted we are now on 3800), you would think alarm bells would be ringing through the halls of our management, but dare I say the lights on but no-one's home.
The Board and Doust have foolishly backed themselves into a corner, publically stating McGregor is the future and that we should back our team and club if we are "true" supporters. They have severely underestimated the tidal wave of discontent that poorly worded, and poorly intended press releases have caused amongst the masses.
The "Committee" headed by Mark Coyne, seems to be, at the very least, trying to uncover the truth of the Dragons current demise. However, like all well intended plans, our club's Board will politely look at the recommendations, thank them for their time and then file under "things to do in 2019".
W need serious help to not only become a power club again, but to at least take the first steps to recovery. At the moment we are legless and headless, and no body in our management circle seems to care as long as the flesh isn't rotting. Little do they know, it already has.

dragonreddy

Juniors
I would reckon Coyne and the committee will be on a fairly short leash ,Doust would have made sure tracks were well and truly covered or in accessible well before the appointments.

Seems the committee may be just another token gesture to shut up those whinging ingrates....The fans.

Uplifting

Juniors
I think if it were an offer for JD to be a head coach It would be a no brainer. In this circumstance, it will probably take faith from JD that the Dragons intend to promote him by 2018, for him to stay.

This assurance might not come from the Dragons unless it was already part of a plan (I know I'm assuming they have one). Either way, this will force the club to make a decision on JDs coaching future at the club, now.

hazzbeen

Bench
I find it amazing that the club, with all this noise happening, releases no statement or press release on any of our issues. Instead lets just feed them player reviews, that will keep the masses happy.
The Board for all we know are probably sunning themselves on holiday in the Bahamas or somewhere similar, totally oblivious to the "goings on" of the football club.
Where is the update on recruiting? Vaughan and now Shaun Nona, who else are we targeting, seeing pre-season begins in 2-3 weeks. Who is our new head of medical (replacing Ayoub) and who are the support team around him/her? Where are the words of wisdom emanating from our illustrious HC eg: plans, ideas etc for 2017? Who will play in what position and what is being done to prepare them for pre-season?
Yesterday, the Dogs announced the signing of 6 players, including our own Tom Carr. We release SFA with regards to anything.......just player reviews (whilst entertaining in some aspects, the reality of statistics clearly show how pathetic we were this year).
Now we have the issue of Jason Demetriou. Probably, heir apparent to a first grade gig, when the opportunity arises (with any club). We have him at the moment, but that means nothing in today's world. Millward and Co (Doust etc) will probably say "well he's contracted to us for 2017", however, so was Ayoub and last year Mullholland. They will probably sit dumbfounded at this development, heads buried in the ground, hoping it will all go away.
With membership meandering (I think someone posted we are now on 3800), you would think alarm bells would be ringing through the halls of our management, but dare I say the lights on but no-one's home.
The Board and Doust have foolishly backed themselves into a corner, publically stating McGregor is the future and that we should back our team and club if we are "true" supporters. They have severely underestimated the tidal wave of discontent that poorly worded, and poorly intended press releases have caused amongst the masses.
The "Committee" headed by Mark Coyne, seems to be, at the very least, trying to uncover the truth of the Dragons current demise. However, like all well intended plans, our club's Board will politely look at the recommendations, thank them for their time and then file under "things to do in 2019".
W need serious help to not only become a power club again, but to at least take the first steps to recovery. At the moment we are legless and headless, and no body in our management circle seems to care as long as the flesh isn't rotting. Little do they know, it already has.
Right on , they keep laughing in our faces for me it was all out to win in 2010 and nothing was put into place after Bennett left , it just bought Doust and Co a few more years then they go and the club is in shambles . If we waste another 3 years of nothing this club will fold .....

matPORTS

Juniors

Understand what you are saying.

But only going by what has been reported both in various media circles and this forum... we supposedly have both Mary and JD under contract for 2017, but not beyond.

Mary is supposedly on a $250k-$300k salary at best.

JD I guesstimate would be on a $100k-$150k salary at best.

If any of the above is true... what have we got to lose by:

1. Paying out Mary and saying see you later?

2. Promoting JD into the head coach position, and upgrading his contract terms for 2017 (a slightly better salary + some incentives) and placing an option in our favour to extend him for 2018 and beyond provided he meets performance expectations etc?

The answer to this question is we have pretty much zero to lose by doing this!

This whole business being thrown around about "we can't afford to pay Mary out" holds no weight and is just plain spin from our management who don't have a plan and don't want to to upset the boys.

Can someone (Mark Coyne or another concerned club legend SOS) please talk some effing sense into our board? Its not that hard!!

Dragsters

First Grade
Typical fricken donkeys.

As if it's not enough to have the games best coach, now they want the games best up and coming coach as well!

Stick tight JD!

At least with our lot, success will be seen as a major achievement as opposed to the donkeys where if you don't deliver a title you will on the scrap heap with the rest of the their discards.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I Bet JD will probably join the Bronco's BUT put in place a condition that if an NRL job ( that is Mary gets sacked) he can leave and come back to Saints. Therefore IF management have offered him any conditions like (wait 6-8 weeks to see how Mary goes) then he can see if they are actually being honest. That way he gets a full off season under Bennett to see how he prepares his team. Add some more experience to his resume.

If he goes to the Bronco's I cannot see any reason why he cannot come back if Mary gets sacked anyway.

This may actually force Saints Management's hand to do something and possibly move Mary aside and promote JD.

Remember Doust did not want Mary there so this could help him persuade the board to move Mary on and keep JD. I also heard the board think highly of JD as well so I am sure they may be keen to hold onto him.

Latest posts