What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos to sign Matt Lodge

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Care to explain how the Broncos prop up the entire league?
Not justifying the comment but...

Prob in terms of any attendance
TV ratings
Most supporters (an absolutely flimsy metric depending on what you use)
One of the few clubs to run a consistent profit.

Brisbane are a powerhouse and good for the league, though they are definitely handed advantages that helps them augment their position.

This just in: deluded bronco and souffs fans set to battle over misguided claims that it's all about them.

Prop up the league? They tried to kill it and murdered several clubs in the process.

It always confuses me when people say that. I get it, the cool kids on here hate on the Broncos like it's a job, but does anybody every look at the facts or is it always blind hate?

The Mariners had no chance, there was never going to be 2 Newcastle teams.

The Reds and Crushers were both millions in debt and nobody was showing up for their games, well no paying customers anyway.

So who'd they kill again?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It always confuses me when people say that. I get it, the cool kids on here hate on the Broncos like it's a job, but does anybody every look at the facts or is it always blind hate?

The Reds and Crushers were both millions in debt and nobody was showing up for their games, well no paying customers anyway.

Perhaps people abandoned these clubs because it was known for an age that the broncos had put them on the chopping block...

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Not justifying the comment but...

Prob in terms of any attendance
TV ratings
Most supporters (an absolutely flimsy metric depending on what you use)
One of the few clubs to run a consistent profit.

Brisbane are a powerhouse and good for the league, though they are definitely handed advantages that helps them augment their position.

And they actively prevented any competition in half the state to do it. If Sydney had a similar number of clubs relative to population, I think you'd find the numbers far more interesting. It's a combination of an oversaturated Sydney market and the Brisbane market being viciously monopolised.

Perhaps people abandoned these clubs because it was known for an age that the broncos had put them on the chopping block...

ahahaha so The Reds, Crushers and Mariners died not from their inability to make money, put a competitive roster on the field or attract people to watch the game but because the almighty Broncos decided their fate?

You give the Broncos too much credit.

I know you're just trying to hate / troll but you're actually complementing them by showing how much you respect / fear them.

This is gold.

mistertaylor

Juniors
ahahaha so The Reds, Crushers and Mariners died not from their inability to make money, put a competitive roster on the field or attract people to watch the game but because the almighty Broncos decided their fate?

I know you're just trying to hate / troll but you're actually complementing them by showing how much you respect / fear them.

This is gold.

Crushers demise was due to Broncos demands to be the only Bne club in the united comp.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Ok

This is gold.
Trolling a troll? You don't like that?

Do I respect them? Nah. Fear them? Nah. Feel free to revel in your restricted view of host history though

OVP

Coach

This is gold.

Anyone above the age of 12 would know Super League was about the Broncos. This is why they are so despised by all true Rugby League fans. Get some life experience before you post more, kiddie.

no name

Coach

The Chargers

The bears at the least

Crushers demise was due to Broncos demands to be the only Bne club in the united comp.
Source?

I've had this discussion with someone else on here a couple of months ago, and the only confirmation for that alleged truth was an old Roy Masters article from when the Titans were about to enter the comp mentioning the exclusivity clause.

Problem with that is the Broncos have only once had an exclusivity clause, and that's when they first entered the comp, which is why the 'Gold Coast' team was known as the Gold Coast - Tweed Giants, playing from Tweed heads, which is in NSW not SE QLD.

Lots of people like to say that the Broncos had the exclusivity clause post Super League, but that's just silly. The Chargers were based out of the Gold Coast at that point, removing any discussion about the Broncos having exclusive access to SE QLD post Super League.

The real reason the Crushers folded is simple - Even giving away tickets hardly anybody bothered to show up, they were horrible on the field winning only a handful of games, and most importantly they had no money.

Once the ARL decided to pull their funding (the only thing keeping the Crushers alive) that was it.

Goodbye SEQLD Crushers.

Ok​
Trolling a troll? You don't like that?

Do I respect them? Nah. Fear them? Nah. Feel free to revel in your restricted view of host history though

Me, trolling? By pointing out facts? Rightyo.

I was out of line saying you fear them. It's just sport, that was a dumb comment from me.

So what is it then? Just blind hatred? Claiming that they 'murdered' at least 3 clubs (you do know the definition of 'several' right?) without any facts or evidence makes you the troll or simply full of hatred for some odd reason.

Anyone above the age of 12 would know Super League was about the Broncos. This is why they are so despised by all true Rugby League fans. Get some life experience before you post more, kiddie.

Yes, the Broncos were the architects of the Super League.

I don't see what that has to do with the comment that you quoted though.

Other teams failing because they were failures is hardly the Broncos fault.

The Chargers

They didn't murder the Charges, the ARL and the Chargers murdered the Chargers.

The ARL didn't like how diluted the talent was in a 20 team comp and didn't want to see the Broncos win 3 in a row, so they tried to strengthen the comp by removing the dead weight (Rams + Chargers) and merging a couple of mediocre clubs (St George + Illawarra)

The Chargers were morons. They let their best players leave and didn't cash in on the demise of the Mariners, who unlike the Chargers had some decent players.

They also rejected the opportunity to merge with Balmain / Brisbane Easts or be 'taken over' by News / Mariners, which would have ensured their survival, providing them with quality players such as Kimmorley and Hill.

Unless you have some hidden source that completely refutes this freely available information, perhaps you'd like to share?

The bears at the least

Don't forget Glebe, the rotten pricks surely were behind their demise as well.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
The bears at the least

The Northern Bears? Pretty sure that was Manly ultimately, however the NRL didn’t consider their inclusion due to their enormous multi-million dollar debt in 1999 which is why they ultimately had to merge with them.

Factional fighting within the Northern Eagles ultimately led to their demise from the NRL entirely and good riddance. Rubbish club that was almost dropped from the NSWRL in the 50’s for being broke and rubbish. Simply a matter of time in an over-saturated market. It is entirely overdue for a few more Sydney clubs too.

No doubt their issues in the 50’s were the Broncs fault as well?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Okay merkins how much is the nrl worth now and how much would it be worth without the mighty Broncos.
No butthurt answers please.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
even if they weren't the direct result, from the first announcement f the cruhers existence there wasn't a stone un turned, a low to hit or action to small or petty that the broncos did not do to get rid of the crushers.

Coach i had as a junior was a former assistant for the crushers in their first season. Rumour spreading to likely sponsors to put them off the new club on the block, putting on marketing events "by coincidence" nearby to the crushers events they put on (some even directly across the road), the water suddenly not working in the away sheds, the list goes on for awhile. Scum