What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos to sign Matt Lodge

The Broncos all but destroyed the BRL.

They were only ever about money and early on even Arko regretted the antagonistic and avaricious approach the Broncos took towards Brisbane and the NSWRL.

When they didn't get their way, they created Super League.

Due to SL we saw the deaths of Perth, Adelaide (including the hard work put in to those expansion markets over a number years by the NSWRL). Then because of the war corporates AND fans walked from the game. Whilst Lachy and News Ltd bankrolled the Broncos, the $$$ dried up for others. Gold Coast, Illawarra and Sth Qld folded and Norths, Manly, St George, Wests and Balmain were all forced to merge and Souths culled due to a criteria News Ltd helped to set. Meanwhile News Ltd dictated TV revenue too..

Forgive me if I don't particularly like the Broncos.

Then because of the war the Broncos started and encouraged, AFL and Rugby managed to get a foothold. In 1994 the game was at a peak. And yes, some Sydney teams were "dying" but tv, crowds, media and engagement was at a high. Expansion was on the horizon. Adelaide and Melbourne just down the track. Pay tv was coming and the bounty would have bern good. The NSWRL were proposing to build and own the future Olympic Stadium. To be honest AFL currently is in a position the RL should be in but for the war.

So because of the Broncos and their News Ltd owners, the game collapsed, suffered and was stymied. It is slowly recovering after 20 years. But you say how much are the Bronx worth to the NRL now...but how much more would RL be worth if not for the Broncos?

The Broncos have had the best of it since the war that disenfranchised and embittered many rank and file members and fans. They got to monopolize a city to themselves where there should be at least 3-4 teams, got everything they wanted via News Ltd and signed the best players they could at the expense of places like Nth Qld.

You can hardly blame RL fans for "picking on" or "trolling" the Broncos when they cop some bad luck or act like the rest of us plebby teams.

And never forget this.

Your team ain't worth a pinch of shit without the rest of us. Which is what you should have learned in 1997.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
Okay merkins how much is the nrl worth now and how much would it be worth without the mighty Broncos.
No butthurt answers please.

Rugby League in Australia would be far richer if the broncos had never existed. It follows that the future NRL would be worth more, due to avoiding the destruction left in the wake of that so called club. It was the single worst thing to happen to RL, in it's entire history, via the impact on both NSW and QLD (BRL in particular) and by extension on the national level (Super League attrition). It still amazes me that anyone from QLD, particularly Brisbane, supports that... thing... called the broncos. It's like meeting a college girl that has a crush on Ted Bundy.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
if the broncos didn't exist, there would be 2 to 3 strong teams in brisbane not just one, and the total revenue that comes out of brisbane would far more than what the broncos are capable of on their own.

2 million people, lowest members and attendance ratio in the league for a one team rugby league dominant town.

insert.pause

First Grade
like I said I'm not a lawyer, but I would assume this fine is a get out of jail olive branch. Pay the fine and you're right - default on it and your probation is revoked and you'll be sentenced.

I doubt the government is going to stick up for a meathead footy player that created this mess on his own.
He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and got 200hrs community service, the fine wasn't in lieu of a prison sentence, it was damages awarded in a civil suit that Lodge didn't contest.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and got 200hrs community service, the fine wasn't in lieu of a prison sentence, it was damages awarded in a civil suit that Lodge didn't contest.
Fair enough - most articles referencing him though seem to indicate he too thinks he needs to pay the fine. If you refuse to pay the civil damages does that just bar him from entering the US until such time it's repaid?

insert.pause

First Grade
Fair enough - most articles referencing him though seem to indicate he too thinks he needs to pay the fine. If you refuse to pay the civil damages does that just bar him from entering the US until such time it's repaid?
He has to pay it, US judgments can be enforced in Australia.