What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos upset - no Sunday home games

lynx000

Juniors
The silly part is that if they gave the Broncos less Friday night games and more Saturday night or Sunday games their crowds would be even larger.
This is spot on, the attendances would go up, which is why they club has been seeking more sunday games. I get all the angst about the number of friday games we play, what I don't get is why the ones with their noses out of joint are blaming the club or its supporters for this. Shouldn't the ire be directed at Channel 9 and the NRL. Storm their doors and complain, there is stuff all the fans or the club can do about it.

carcharias

Immortal
This is spot on, the attendances would go up, which is why they club has been seeking more sunday games. I get all the angst about the number of friday games we play, what I don't get is why the ones with their noses out of joint are blaming the club or its supporters for this. Shouldn't the ire be directed at Channel 9 and the NRL. Storm their doors and complain, there is stuff all the fans or the club can do about it.

I thought they demanded at least one Friday night game in Qld .
So the poor two heads who can't afford Foxtel get to see the broncos play.

This Year?

Immortal
The broncs must have won on the weekend.

You, Blaza and Pete are probably the only 3 Broncos fans I actually like.

I think it's fair you guys get one 4:00pm Sunday afternoon game a season to watch them play against the Saints.

Raiderdave

First Grade
do you really expect much to change for FTA prime time though? in a few years time, Ch9 or another FTA network will come back to the NRL during the next broadcast rights negotiations and point to decreasing ratings, and hence lessening value.

apparently fta rights will be nothing like they've been from 2022 onwards anyway ,so ch 9 or any other carrier won't be able to pay up big even if the ratings were better

Greenstar5

Juniors
My ideas for Broncos home games in 2018.

All home games at Suncorp Stadium.
Max 2 Thursday nights home games.
Max 4 Friday nights home games.
Rest Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon games.
Double ups against Cowboys, Titans, Storm, who ever they meet in finals.
Dont play home games on the same round as Titans.
Night games early in the season due to heat. Day games later in season to take advantage of good Queensland weather.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It would feel weird seeing a Broncos home match not on Thursday or Friday night.

Ch 9 will always demand these games cause having a Queensland team on primetime will get ratings.

It would feel weird seeing a Broncos home match not on Thursday or Friday night.

Ch 9 will always demand these games cause having a Queensland team on primetime will get ratings.

That's because Channel 9 do little if anything to promote games. As Steve Mascord said last week -

"...surely in a serious professional sports league, every game should be an event (see item one) and if you're a rights holder, you are paying for "an NRL game", which it is then your job to sell. You cover the competition we give you.

Allowing broadcasters to change the schedule to suit themselves should be the domain of only desperate, broke sports administrations."

I mean does the EPL allow Sky to dictate when games are on, or re-schedule games, or focus only on one or two clubs? Does the NFL allows CBS, Fox, ABC and ESPN to do the same? Hell, does the AFL alllow Channel 7 and Fox to do it? Of course not.

As such the NRL should allow the TV networks very little say in scheduling. They should cover the games they are given instead of expecting an arm ride every time. It is that thinking which see teh same clubs on free to air TV in Australia because Channel 9 believe they will rate and hence they don't have to do any promotional work to get those ratings. Lazy *#$%ers