What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BroncosNRL

mistertaylor

Juniors
I've just proven with this photo that Lee Harvey Oswald wasn't JFK's killer.

153981-image-spysguideoswaldassassincostume.jpg

As you can clearly see it shows him not shooting JFK.
To be fair, while Oswald may have attempted to assassinate JFK, it was one of the SS agents in the car behind that accidentally blew Jack's brains out.

Just Visiting

Juniors
Pretty weird all round, the bunker was going to the board with a decision of no try held up, on field asks how the ball came out, video decided it was pushed out by Souths (correct decision IMO from footage) so play on.

Now if in the action of MILF trying to turn over he did ground it instead of it coming out on current form I don't think there is any question they would award it which I think is the core of the issue, the leeway given in goal is way too much. In fact has there even been a case where the ball has been grounded but the refs said it was too long and the tackle was complete?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
the leeway given in goal is way too much.

It is. If you land in goal and can put the ball down in the same movement then fair enough. But allowing players to twist and turn for 10 seconds until they can get it down is ridiculous. Why penalise double-movement but allow that?

Just Visiting

Juniors
It is. If you land in goal and can put the ball down in the same movement then fair enough. But allowing players to twist and turn for 10 seconds until they can get it down is ridiculous. Why penalise double-movement but allow that?

Completely agree, it should be approached similar to in field play, that is an opposition hand on the player on the ground is tackled, any additional effort to promote the ball is a double movement. Maybe MILF's ball carrying arm hadn't touched the ground IDK, but I suspect it would only require proper interpretation not a rule change to correct the issue.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Completely agree, it should be approached similar to in field play, that is an opposition hand on the player on the ground is tackled, any additional effort to promote the ball is a double movement. Maybe MILF's ball carrying arm hadn't touched the ground IDK, but I suspect it would only require proper interpretation not a rule change to correct the issue.

this

if ball security is key in the field of play,...why is it excused completely just because the play is in-goal?

in the field of play, once the ball is lost after tackle complete it is considered a turnover. just because milf is thrashing it about recklessly doesn't mean ball security should be suddenly overlooked

yobbo84

First Grade
Archer via the NRL Twitter.

Happy with the live decision to award the field goal. The referee cannot refer a field goal to the bunker unless he's concerned whether the ball has gone through or there has been illegal play (eg. a wall) in the lead up to the field goal.

Not happy with the decision to award the try to Moga. By the time the ball had come out, the tackle had been complete.
I thought they still could check it, as it is a 'scoring play'?

http://www.nrl.com/changes-to-the-nrl-bunker-in-2017/tabid/10874/newsid/103579/default.aspx

By that logic then any knock-on in the lead-up to a try should be ignored as it is 'general play' and they should only check to see that the ball was grounded properly, there was no foul play and everyone is onside. Breathtaking stupidity from all involved.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
The Brisbane Donkeys are so hopeless,every game they play in is decided by like 1-2 points because there too hopeless to put teams away even with all the leg ups

Wooden Spoon material this mob

Big Pete

Referee

http://www.nrl.com/changes-to-the-nrl-bunker-in-2017/tabid/10874/newsid/103579/default.aspx

By that logic then any knock-on in the lead-up to a try should be ignored as it is 'general play' and they should only check to see that the ball was grounded properly, there was no foul play and everyone is onside. Breathtaking stupidity from all involved.

Right?

It's a strange limitation to impose and seems like a safety harness to protect the on-field referee. I'm not sure what others got out of his Twitter videos, but the way his explanation was composed it came off like 'Well I'm of the opinion that Milford didnt' knock on...but even if myself and the on-field referees are wrong we don't have the benefit of video technology to determine the correct decision.'

Why not?

Because we don't.

And that's the frustrating part in all of this. The officials have a difficult job as is, to work in these confines just seems absurd and takes all the common sense out of the game.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

No they can check for a knock on, Tony Archer just lied for the sake of the KPI measurements.

God the NRL are good at taking simple things and turning them into something super complex. Once upon a time if you dived over the line and didn't get the ball down first go, you were held up. Now, they've somehow managed to mess with the discretion around that law of the game to the point where scoring a try can sometimes look like a full round of MMA. No one is sure when momentum is stopped, players can wriggle around for an absolute eternity even though they are on the ground and have two defenders holding them and if after that eternity they somehow manage to scrabble around and get the ball down, its a try.

If we're unsure about it then the footage goes to the video ref and the 15 second wrestling match gets slowed down to the point where it lasts 2 minutes.

Please just go back to the old days where you basically get one chance to get the ball down over the line. Make it simpler to officiate and we have less errors. Pretty basic stuff really.