What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brooks and Moses how will they go from here?

mepelthwack

Juniors
What is everyone's predictions on Moses and Brooks?

Do we feel Moses will kick on and be a genuine, consistent star of the game or was he a one year wonder?

How about Brooks does anyone think he will develop into a truly good half?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Next year must be one of solid improvement at the very least.
If not, flick them. Theyll have 3 years of first grade and 75 odd games and will either sink or swim on their own efforts.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think Moses obviously looks like becoming a star. He made the PM 13 and that was a good team. I think Brooks will kick on but I'm not sure if he will be a star.

I think they can fill the halves positions for us for a long time but it depends on how much we sign them for.

Shredder

Juniors
I cant admit to predicting the future, but if Brookes doesnt catch up to Moses he can forget getting paid the same amount. Brookes seemed like a passenger for the vast majority of games this year.

I get that JT wants Moses to "own the team" and play his own game, but if he is going to be our Thurston, we dont need to spend 600k+ on another half.

For mine, either Brookes learns to dominate his own side of the field, or we get a nuffy on 1/3 the money who can kick goals.

Moses played well this year, but his goal kicking isnt worth crap. And now we signed Idris, I would hope that we have pushed Spaz out, so that leaves Moses with all goal kicking responsibilities.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am pretty happy with the development of Moses. I'd prefer that the goal kicking was taken off him so that poor goal kicking doesn't interfere with his confidence. He really just needs to concentrate on further developing his attack and defence and he will be a star for a long time to come.

With Brooks the ball is in his court. He has a year to lock in a place in this team otherwise like others have said, we find a much cheaper alternative that can kick, tackle and control a game (ala Jeff Robson style). For him I hope he comes good and only time will tell.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If Brooks doesn't kick on we need an Adam Reynolds type halfback to accompany Moses. Then again, Brooks had a break out year then followed it up with a bit of a nothing year. Moses could easily do the same.

They are both very young and will be rocks and diamonds. I would really like to see them start combining and complimenting eachother but I guess we will see.

Either way, my gut tells me they will both improve on this year next season.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Jim, yes they're young, but let's be reasonable. They'll be 23 next year, with 80-90 first grade games each under their belts, injury permitting.

If they're going to kick on, it will be now. We can't afford to carry them until they're 25 or 26 on a maybe.

phatnonphatness

Juniors
Moses has steadily developed over the past two years and has the capability to be on the same level as Tedesco.

Brooks is tough to read. There are times when we looks like he could be just as good, and then others when he doesn't really do much. I think his biggest problem is confidence and being hungry for the ball. If he puts in another average year, then we either flick him or reduce his contract.

I think two players of the calibre of Moses and Teddy can carry this team forward. The problem is if we have an injury to one, then the other has to shoulder the entire load. Particularly troubling would be if Moses was out for the year, then who would become our chief playmaker? Brooks has proven when he's given control of the team he performs well. So it may be worth sticking it out with him...

Brooks and Moses appear to play their best footy away from each other. Moses had a break out year IMO, but still lacks the maturity to control the game when they are up against it. I would like to see Brooks take the line on more, seems like at times he's scared of being caught with the ball. Maybe he's just taking a little longer to blossom than Moses, the natural talent of both is there to be seen though. They've both had good showings at NRL level, it's just a matter of consistency and growth.

Moses is a poor man's Benji, rocks or diamonds. Still hopeful for both though but as a few have said, 2017 has to be the year they both kick on or they're a waste of cash. We've let halves go that we could have kept that have either kicked on elsewhere or look likely to.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Nathan Cleary at 18 years of age, can have a strong debut season like he had without a genuine five eighth, a makeshift hooker and a ton of rookies all around him, then I'm sorry, but Brooks and Moses cannot be afforded the "Their young" and "potential" tags anymore.

Either they pull their finger out and start performing vastly better next year or they f**k off. They'll be hard pressed to find a club that will fork out the dollars they want like the Tigers do.

Shredder

Juniors
On Brooks I agree 100% MU - something has to give and 50 games+ is enough of a look.

On Moses, I think he showed enough this year to give him some more patience. He obviously has the skill, its just the experience and the consistency that he needs. That comes with time.

Having said that, if we are still having this conversation about Moses at the end of next year, my faith would have wavered a fair bit.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Either they pull their finger out and start performing vastly better next year or they f**k off. They'll be hard pressed to find a club that will fork out the dollars they want like the Tigers do.

I think this is the way our club management (Pascoe era) has purposefully positioned ourselves coming into 2017. Broses probably wanted a contract extension and the club offered them what they were worth at the time. Moses still hadn't had his breakout and Brooks' form was dropping so I doubt it was much. At least a lot less than they are getting for 2017. However, by activating their 1 year clause we are now in a position to say "perform in 2017 and we will make you a realistic offer. If you don't like it, kindly see yourselves out the door"

BrotherJim05

Bench
I still think the biggest issue is that both Brooks and Moses need minders. Many teams have a half that need a WH back rower and strong centre outside of them but rarely two on the field together.

We have some glaring problems in our 17 that really need to be fixed

BuffaloRules

Coach
Can't see them both at the club in 2018...I'm not sure that they really complement each other when on the field together...

I think Moses has more upside but he sure can turn in a shocker every 6 weeks or so...

Shredder

Juniors
Hey Buff - Im sure its not a popular concept on this forum but Im with you.

Id prefer Brooks to leave. Having a tradesman half that defends and kicks on one side and Moses on the other works for me.

Having said that, they both seem pretty keen to continue to play together, and given salary cap regimes, we are probably stuck with the both of them.

Tiger05

First Grade
I still think the biggest issue is that both Brooks and Moses need minders. Many teams have a half that need a WH back rower and strong centre outside of them but rarely two on the field together.

We have some glaring problems in our 17 that really need to be fixed

I think they both improved a lot defensively over the course of the season but I agree that our edges are weak because we have Brooks and Moses there and especially on Moses side we lack an edge backrower who has the pace to defend out wide.

It'll be interesting how Brooks and Moses come on next season. I think they should be having huge years and that includes being defensively reliable. If not then we are in trouble.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Woods, tedesco, brooks and Moses are all off contract end of 2017. I can't see us keeping them all. Whilst it would be dissapointjng to see him go Brooks is probably the most expendable for mine.

Also guys like Simona, Nofo etc also come off. Let's also not forget the coach as. It's going to be a very interesting year contract wise.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The main issue will be though that until they are re-signed or otherwise the ass wipes in the media will have a field day linking each one with Bulldogs/Roosters etc for the first half of next season which will have a negative impact on the team...

Having all the big names come off their contracts at the same time is so typically Wests Tigers inept management...