What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brooks to hooker?

super_coach

First Grade
Why would anyone give a pinch of shit what Michael Ennis thinks? This merkin handed Queensland their first Origin whitewash in 15 years due to his stupidity.

I have heard silly ideas, but at present I would stick with the way things are and play Reynolds off the bench for a couple of weeks, but I do think if Benji is going to get through a season his game time will need got be managed. Anyway there will be injuries and this thing will sort itself out one way or another

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Why change what’s working? Make Reynolds force his way back into the starting side off the bench. His impact and energy off the bench could be just as significant.

Das Hassler

Bench
Wouldnt have survived those first two games without Benji that's for sure...but they were the first two of a long season and if the goal is to have a serious chance at and in the finals then we will need those old bones in good shape at the pointy end. The original plan for him was a good one....but plans do change... ( good) interesting times ahead

super_coach

First Grade
By playing two no9s severely limits what you can do with your Bench, Say if we bring Grub back via the bench and also carry a back up no9 it means your forwards have to play really long minutes. Of course you can use Grub as the back up no9, but after seeing play the role in one of the trials I am not sure that is a good idea. I just think there is only one thing better than three big animals on the bench and thats four

Tiger05

First Grade
I think we will need two 9's all season. We just don't have an 80 minute hooker. You could push Reynolds or ET there for some time but ET does so much work I reckon he needs a rest.

I think the best option is Reynolds on the bench and give him some time at hooker. I'd love to see him kill it in that position.

I would though love to see 4 forwards on the bench.

Something like Twal, Felise, Eisenhuth and Aloiai would be great. You could even drop one of Twal, Felise or Eisenhuth and have MCK on the bench and play Aloiai up the middle.

super_coach

First Grade
I think we will need two 9's all season. We just don't have an 80 minute hooker. You could push Reynolds or ET there for some time but ET does so much work I reckon he needs a rest.

I think the best option is Reynolds on the bench and give him some time at hooker. I'd love to see him kill it in that position.

I would though love to see 4 forwards on the bench.

Something like Twal, Felise, Eisenhuth and Aloiai would be great. You could even drop one of Twal, Felise or Eisenhuth and have MCK on the bench and play Aloiai up the middle.

I would like to think Liddle will get close to 80 minutes by 3/4 season and Grub or Taylor can fill in for the other 1/4. We for the first time in years have enough quality forwards to fill the bench with 3 or 4 good quality players and still have a couple up our sleeve in reserve grade

Shredder

Juniors
Liddle isnt going to turn into an 80 min first grade hooker in one season. Let alone that hes not back until round 6 or something.

We have options, but they are untested.
If Benji is going to stay at 6 and Brooks at 7, Reynolds has to be in the team due to his salary cap contribution, so he will play hooker, but he hasnt played a full 80 min of hooker at a first grade level ever as far as I know.

We will be running with a hooker on the bench all season. And honestly, given we always have something happen 15 mins before kick off that stuffs up our line-up, I think thats the best bet anyway.

I said it before the season started, Im most concerned about our tested depth at hooker.

stryker

First Grade
Id try Brooks there. He isnt a halfback and we have enough 5/8ths. Liddle has not earned a spot at all. I wouldnt even consider him currently. Brooksey's front on defence is great and his speed out of dummy half will create breaks.Worth a try.

Tiger05

First Grade
I thought Brooks was great tonight. I think we stick with him at 7 for a while yet. He is improving and hasn't looked out of place at all in the past 3 games against some good players. He is really improved this season so far.

stryker

First Grade
I thought Brooks was great tonight. I think we stick with him at 7 for a while yet. He is improving and hasn't looked out of place at all in the past 3 games against some good players. He is really improved this season so far.
He is playing well as a skilled footballer rather than a game controlling, strategic halfback. Our attack is aweful.

Tiger05

First Grade
He is playing well as a skilled footballer rather than a game controlling, strategic halfback. Our attack is aweful.

It wasn't Brooks fault. He was great and was close to our only threat. He was unlucky not to pick up another try assist as well.

I don't think Brooks is the issue. We don't have many threatening players out there and we do look a mess with the ball. We need to improve our attack but I don't think it's as simple as blaming Brooks or our halves who have been great so far.

Tigerm

First Grade
It wasn't Brooks fault. He was great and was close to our only threat. He was unlucky not to pick up another try assist as well.

I don't think Brooks is the issue. We don't have many threatening players out there and we do look a mess with the ball. We need to improve our attack but I don't think it's as simple as blaming Brooks or our halves who have been great so far.
Agree and besides, the same thing was happening to the Bronco's, Freddy Fittler said in commentary that the dew on ground was considerable. Maybe on a dry day game these things wouldn't happen as much?

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree and besides, the same thing was happening to the Bronco's, Freddy Fittler said in commentary that the dew on ground was considerable. Maybe on a dry day game these things wouldn't happen as much?

We scored a try and the Broncos couldn't score one with a good attacking team. I'm proud of the guys at the moment. Yes we have to work on our attack but I figure IC recognises that and is doing something about it.

Brooks has been up against Cronk, Milford and Nikorima and Munster over the past 3 weeks and has been great. Some players just need time to mature and I'm hopeful that he is one of them. Benji has been great the first two weeks and he was playing on one leg last night for a chunk of the game.

Brooks has been good,he is more involved in the play which is what you want from your halfback,I still think we have a few outside backs that basically do not offer enough to the team.

Shredder

Juniors
Brooks plays half.
He is the attacking coordinator on the field. If our attack is f**ked (and it is) I blame him,
Yes he is playing better than he has done, but its still not good enough.
Hes just not creative. And thats the point.
Adding to that that Benji is less creative than he was (in a good way - less mistakes) and I reckon thats whats wrong with our attack.
We have only won and been in games with our defence, which is outstanding, but I dont think we can keep this intensity up all year, especially if we arent scoring points.

Brooks is playing much more consistently than he ever has done, but his job is also to spark the attack and be creative, which he isnt doing.

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks is playing much more consistently than he ever has done, but his job is also to spark the attack and be creative, which he isnt doing.

I think he is sparking the attack. He set up the one try we scored and he was extremely unlucky not to have another try assist. Plus he took on the line and looked dangerous all game. His overall kicking game was great.

The Broncos didn't score a try. Is Milford a dud attacking half ?

I think Brooks deserves a break. His game has improved a lot. He is playing as well as any half that we have played so far and they haven't been dud halves.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think he is sparking the attack. He set up the one try we scored and he was extremely unlucky not to have another try assist. Plus he took on the line and looked dangerous all game. His overall kicking game was great.

The Broncos didn't score a try. Is Milford a dud attacking half ?

I think Brooks deserves a break. His game has improved a lot. He is playing as well as any half that we have played so far and they haven't been dud halves.
I am glad we kept Brooks and not Moses:D

Tiger05

First Grade
I am glad we kept Brooks and not Moses:D

I've always thought the Tanker was the better player but I'm starting to see some light that Brooks may be the better player. The wanka has a shithouse attitude and I'm not sure if he has the humility to work on his game.