What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown Deal Close

Collateral

Coach
Brown deal close: Doust
By PAUL SUTTOR
April 14, 2004

THE Dragons look set to re-sign coach Nathan Brown by the end of the month following St George Illawarra's recent form resurgence.

Chief executive Peter Doust has held preliminary discussions with Brown's manager George Mimis and the coach's future will "more than likely be resolved" at a board meeting later this month.

Fans may question why the Dragons would re-sign Brown so early in the season but Doust said the club wanted to settle the coaching issue so unsigned players would know who would be at the helm next year when they entered contract negotiations.

"I think it's fair to say we have to resolve our coaching circumstances pretty soon because the players in re-signing mode would want to know who is coaching them next year," he said.

"When we took Browny on, it was an investment in the long-term. We wanted to examine his capabilities and how well he developed through that period in the first 1 years.

"If he had have lost 10 in a row and we thought he was hopeless, we might have had to review our decision," he added with a laugh.

Long considered the NRL's sleeping giants, the Dragons have trounced the Knights and Tigers over the past fortnight, but will face a sterner test this Sunday against premiers Penrith at WIN Stadium.

Doust said the future looked bright for the joint venture club with Brown in charge.

"It's a board decision but I'm personally pleased with the way things have been going this year," he said.

"His coaching techniques and the way the game plans have been moulded, have been positive.

"He's been doing a good job there but of course it has to be this and the players performing on the field. I see good signs there with their attitude and commitment. From a technical point of view and a team management point of view, it's progressing nicely."

This story was found at: http://illawarramercury.com.au/articles/2004/04/14/1081838756267.html

Thanks to BarnabyJones for bringing both these articles to light.

Biglance

Bench
brown deserves it but we need to think about winning against the top sides before he signs again

You've got to be kidding me.

Two wins against poor opposition and their falling over themselves to resign the guy. Sometimes I get the distinct feeling that this club doesn't aim nearly as high as they claim they do...

Saint 60

Juniors
yeah...two weeks ago we were running second last.....

if it was my say id be giving it about 3 months ----
i dont think other clubs will be after him,,and it should go on performance.
he did however have a lot to do with some of our blokes signing - but again if we are not winning its hard to say if thats a good thing or a bad thing...
its really a pity sport has come down to this :evil:

#-o

Anonymous

Juniors
Maybe there's something in the wind regarding player retention and recruitment, but I'd like to give it more time for before we decide on the coach.

11Straight

Juniors
I think its a bit early i would of waited till at least halfway through the season befour making a decision i think you could compare that decision to prematurely ejaculating.