What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown - Good or Bad?

Brown - Good or Bad?

• Total voters

Collateral

Coach
Do you guys think Brown has been a great coach for us or not so great. After the face slapping and swearing etc, with Pig unhappy apparently aswell.

I personally think he is great for the club.
But what do you guys think?

Noodles

Juniors
I voted average

I would have voted an unsure if that was option.

We don't seem to be playing any better or worse under Brown - still doing well against the good teams, but failing to turn it on against the weaker ones.

It was beause of this that I thought we should have had a change of coach last year. We've had one, but the performances haven't changed.

But I'm prepared to give him some time, with some coaches it takes a little longer to get the team firing.

It might jst be the timing of the question - I might have given a more positive answer a few weeks ago :?

grouch

First Grade
Brown got us to prelim finals. Remember those?

And imagine what McGregor would do with the legitimate excuses Brown had in 05 and 06. In 05 he lost his halfback for the season in June, and in 06 he was beaten in the prelim by a team cheating the salary cap

Slackboy72

Coach
Holy necro-bump batman. We had a win% of 53% under him including 9 wins in 2007 with one of the weakest squads the club has ever had.
r1469708_21480795.jpg

denis preston

First Grade
Best roster in the league but Brown couldn't get them all to jell mentally ( hence the face slap )
If we had a coach that could fix this mental weakness ( particularly with Barrett & Ryles ) we would have won the comp.Imagine Bennett with that squad ? 3 premierships !!

Big no from me.Way too green as a coach then.

giboz71

First Grade
We played some breathtaking footy under Brown. Compared to the unimaginative boring crap we play under Mary.

And with regards to pathways, 12 out of 13 of our staring side in 2005 came from within our junior system. Brown actually knew how to coach and develop. Our current juniors have either stood still or regressed. Some have had to go elsewhere to save careers.

Just way to green to take us all the way, but I definitely enjoyed watching Brown's sides a lot more than the boring crap we dish out today.

St Hope

Juniors
Like him as a coach but think we have to get away from somebody who could be seen to have any allegiance to one or the other side of the joint venture like Caesars wife has to be above suspicion.

Like the Toovey idea but what can we afford after paying out Mary after all we would have had to pay big money to keep a coach of his record and standing in the NRL (whoops nearly vomited writing that last bit)

Slackboy72

Coach
Like him as a coach but think we have to get away from somebody who could be seen to have any allegiance to one or the other side of the joint venture like Caesars wife has to be above suspicion.

Like the Toovey idea but what can we afford after paying out Mary after all we would have had to pay big money to keep a coach of his record and standing in the NRL (whoops nearly vomited writing that last bit)

Should we do this with players too?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Holy necro-bump batman. We had a win% of 53% under him including 9 wins in 2007 with one of the weakest squads the club has ever had.
r1469708_21480795.jpg
2007 we had both Morris boys, Cooper, Gasnier, Nightingale, Matt Head, Ryles, Poore, Ashton Sims, Danny Wicks, Ben Creagh, Dan Hunt, Simon Woolford, Beau Scott. Along with a Rang Chase here and a Chris Housten there. It was one of our better squads to be honest.

Slackboy72

Coach
2007 we had both Morris boys, Cooper, Gasnier, Nightingale, Matt Head, Ryles, Poore, Ashton Sims, Danny Wicks, Ben Creagh, Dan Hunt, Simon Woolford, Beau Scott. Along with a Rang Chase here and a Chris Housten there. It was one of our better squads to be honest.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/...rra/summary.html?order=summary-app#playerlist
You might want to remind yourself about how many times some of those players got on the field.
Remember the charity shield that year?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I like Brownie and he loves Saints. I was very rarely critical of Brown as coach. Yes we had the roster to win the comp in 04, 05 and 06, but we had a wretched run of injuries to key players during those year. How many games did we field our complete top line up in those years? It was very rarely. Bailey did his peck early one season and missed most of rest of the year. Gaz did a peak a missed a lot of time, he also had numerous other injuries that kept him out. Barrett missed many games through injury. Ryles missed many games through injuries. Head missed many games through injuries. I think Morris may have missed 2007 due to injury, when he was penciled in to be our fullback that year. Dean Young got injured in the 2005 semi at Woolongong and missed the rest of the year and much of 06. He was just starting to bloom too. He never regained that form, after being injured. I doubt very much that Bennett would have had the success he did here, if he had the same run of injuries that we had during 04, 05 and 06.

Brown took over the head coaching role at a very young age. He was coaching players he had played with. He is now 16 years older and a much more experienced coach. He has a good eye for talent. He is prepared to promote junior talent. He had us playing an attractive brand of footy. I would be very happy for us to get Brown back to coach us. It would be a homecoming for Brown. I always remember reading about during our first season as a "joint venture". It may have been in round 7 when we won our first home game at Kogarah. Brownie said to Barrett something like "Just wait until we get back to St George Leagues Club and experience how passionate our fans were". I think Saints is in Browns blood.

I don't take too much notice of coaches winning percentages. I think the roster they have dictates their winning percentage. I doubt that Robinson would have Canterbury going much better than Pay has them going and if Pay was Easts coach, I think he would have then going as well as they are under Robinson. Yes, some coaches are better than others.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Better than Mary...well who isn’t.

Many others are better than Brown for example

Griffin
Toovey
Sheens
O’Brien
Demitriou
Flano