What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown quits

taipan

Referee
So they are now right to give games for free, to a city that "doesn't support games" and that is likely to embarrass due to empty seats?

Never mind spin, you have backflips mastered.

We know you are the master of the whinge and get it wrong on occasions ,such as the 30th June re Hayne,but you can;t admit it.Best to keep a low profile.I'll handle my backflip anytime against some of your ignorant negativity.

I didn't suggest they were right FFS using the SFS ,I'm just passing on what they have done ,assuming they will get the Lebanese in numbers..

What I have stated,they were right overall in trying to maximise income by securing Govt bids from around the country ,which you seem to consider irrelevant LOL.

They are taking the punt on a couple of high profile matches,where the SFS mgt has offered a small concession.And it will be embarrassing if they can't fill it,and prove my initial point.

Billythekid

First Grade
There is no way the 2 games in Sydney will come anywhere near selling out. It wouldn't matter where you held those 2 matches, they wouldn't be pulling 90K people across those 2 games.

Number of sub 15k venues in 2013 - 10
Number of sub 15k venues in 2017 - 1

Slightly misleading when we have double headers in stadiums with less than 20K capacity.

I think there is also the fact that RL is a minor sport in the UK whereas it's the number 1 game in Australia. People keep comparing the 2 but really Australia should be able to do a lot better (especially when we're taking games to NZ and PNG).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its the number one game in two states of Australia to be accurate.
Number 3 to 6 in the rest of the country.

And at end of day if more tickets are sold across the entire tournament but less in the opener or semifinal compared to 2013 does it matter? One of the RLWC2013 stadiums had a capacity of 5000!

The 2017 tournament has already brought in a lot more $'s from hosting rights and TV than 2013 so is well on track to be successful financially, it will also be played across three countries in many non NRL cities giving great exposure for the code into developing markets. If PNG can get a 25-30k stadium upgarde out of it as well it will be another huge outcome for the code in this part of the world.
Aside from the NSW Govt fricking it up for NSW RL fans it is going swimmingly

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
I think with the marketing wc2017 will conduct, all matches will go close to selling out. Even the SFS matches.

That's optimistic. Would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, I haven't noticed much marketing to be honest except on Facebook. Which has been great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am sure they will have a marketing plan, announcement of venues being the latest milestone. No doubt when tickets go on sale will be next one. Then when teams are finalised following Euro qualifying. In wont fully ramp up until after Origin next year then I would expect 3 months of intensive marketing and promotion. Hopefully they have some contra in the Tv deal.

Last Week

Bench
I am sure they will have a marketing plan, announcement of venues being the latest milestone. No doubt when tickets go on sale will be next one. Then when teams are finalised following Euro qualifying. In wont fully ramp up until after Origin next year then I would expect 3 months of intensive marketing and promotion. Hopefully they have some contra in the Tv deal.

I'm curious as to how. Seeing as 7 has the rights, Nine are going to expect to be paid normal rates for it. Unless the NRL have struck a deal to have it included as part of the TV rights deal, apart of the contra component.

It's all very doable. 2 games in Sydney, the Lebanese community don't get opportunity to support their home country very much so if the price is right, they'll come out. The English fans will be there as usual. Any English fan that shows up is a bonus considering they're from the other side of the planet.

It's Kangaroo supporters that'll be the hardest to draw. Atmosphere for Kangaroos games is very dull. Best I've seen is the Fiji fans from the 08 semi final.

adamkungl

Immortal
Atmosphere is dull because no one is scared of losing.

The best thing that could happen to the Kangaroos is England and NZ giving us a good old fashioned rogering next year. NZ alone is not enough. The fall from grace must be complete.

Last Week

Bench
Atmosphere is dull because no one is scared of losing.

The best thing that could happen to the Kangaroos is England and NZ giving us a good old fashioned rogering next year. NZ alone is not enough. The fall from grace must be complete.

I think that'd do more to legitimise international competition yeah. And nothing creates unity like adversity.

In saying that, Queensland hasn't lost atmosphere despite their mass success. More successful than the Kangaroos over the last 11 years.

I'm putting it down to our club tribalism at its best. Club footy has always been more important than rep football here for some reason.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah but Qlders have a permanent chip on their shoulder and convince themselves they're underdogs year in year out. Also, 10years of dominance is a fair way off 40..

Last Week

Bench
Yeah but Qlders have a permanent chip on their shoulder and convince themselves they're underdogs year in year out. Also, 10years of dominance is a fair way off 40..

The Poms dominated us for about 50.. No chip here.

The chip on the shoulder comment sounds pretty accurate though.

I'm still of the belief that the Kangaroos don't get the support they should because it isn't treated as the pinnacle of the game.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Probably something to do with Payne's immature handling of the whole world cup venue blow up with Brown.

adamkungl

Immortal
He should stick to abusive phonecalls instead of silly articles, that's how mature CEOs deal with minor criticisms.

Wonder if Brown used the phrase "Eat a dick merkin" when he called up Payne

Latest posts