What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryce Cartwright "allegedly" pays side chick 50k for abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambretta

First Grade
I thought the number of false allegations were almost impossible to quantify..

Depends if you work on proven beyond ALL doubt or if you use a modicom of common sense

In the vast majority of rape allegation cases, the rape victim has little or nothing to gain out of making the allegation - In fact they're scrutinised to the nth degree if they do

They have to be subjected to Police testing and interviews and if it actually gets to court they have to be prepared to sit through testimony and have their lives put on public record. All their past boyfriends are dragged out so everyone gets to hear about anything they've ever done. All with the aim of discrediting that what she is saying is true.

Rarely if ever is the accused sent to prison or given any form of record - because, as you know, rape (unless extremely violent and witnessed by others) is rather hard to prove.

So what do rape victims actually gain? When most claims are ignored, it's not money. Sympathy? Really? Is that what we've come to? Thousands of women are claiming rape and going through all of the above just so someone says "there there love, don't worry about it, have a cup of tea, you'll feel better hun"?

I call bullshit

LESStar58

Referee
Depends if you work on proven beyond ALL doubt or if you use a modicom of common sense

In the vast majority of rape allegation cases, the rape victim has little or nothing to gain out of making the allegation - In fact they're scrutinised to the nth degree if they do

They have to be subjected to Police testing and interviews and if it actually gets to court they have to be prepared to sit through testimony and have their lives put on public record. All their past boyfriends are dragged out so everyone gets to hear about anything they've ever done. All with the aim of discrediting that what she is saying is true.

Rarely if ever is the accused sent to prison or given any form of record - because, as you know, rape (unless extremely violent and witnessed by others) is rather hard to prove.

So what do rape victims actually gain? When most claims are ignored, it's not money. Sympathy? Really? Is that what we've come to? Thousands of women are claiming rape and going through all of the above just so someone says "there there love, don't worry about it, have a cup of tea, you'll feel better hun"?

I call bullshit

When I say "false" I mean flat out lie about it. I'm not talking about the course of natural justice where cases go to court etc.

T-Boon

Coach

I call bullshit

You come from this warped perspective that women are good and men are bad. We are the same.

Women are just as good and just as bad as men. For every man out there scummy enough to rape there is a women scummy enough to lie for revenge.

bileduct

Coach
Oh dear

Number of reported rapes not charged (over 90%)

vs

number of reported rapes where a woman lied (less than 3%)

and you say women are making it up?
f**king hell - you're deluded

Women don't make up their victim hood - they are victims.
LOL!

I am always amused when someone brings up the 2-8% statistic.

Funny how the 80% gap between lies and convictions is always assumed to be "the guy that got away with it."

Anyway, you've missed the entire point.

bileduct

Coach

I call bullshit
LOL!

It's funny how you believe that a woman claiming to be raped has to go through all of those things.

False rape claims can be circulated among friends, reported to the media, or like what's happening in the US at the moment with Title IX, reported to and handled by a campus tribunal.

We also have rape shield provisions regarding the "twin myths of rape."

I call bullshit on your entire post.

Lambretta

First Grade
When I say "false" I mean flat out lie about it. I'm not talking about the course of natural justice where cases go to court etc.

The number is small

FBI statistics from 1996 put unfounded rape accusations at around 8%
Studies in other countries show it to be smaller - Canada 2-4%, Denmark 1.5%

In the UK the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) showed they brought 35 cases against women for false accusations, yet 5,651 cases for actual rape

Now T-Boon - tell me again how women are just as likely to falsely accuse as men are to rape

Blues Riff

Bench
I'm not sure how the subject of rape came into the thread, but what are the stats on the likelihood that a woman (or man) will bend the truth for financial gain?

bileduct

Coach
The number is small

FBI statistics from 1996 put unfounded rape accusations at around 8%
Studies in other countries show it to be smaller - Canada 2-4%, Denmark 1.5%

In the UK the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) showed they brought 35 cases against women for false accusations, yet 5,651 cases for actual rape

Now T-Boon - tell me again how women are just as likely to falsely accuse as men are to rape
You seem to be focusing solely on rape allegations that actually make it to the courtroom, when T-Boon's statement about women claiming victimhood is commentary regarding a much broader phenomenon.

But whatevs. By comparing the number of cases brought against alleged false accusers to alleged rapists, what is it that you believe you are demonstrating here? This number obviously doesn't include allegations that don't make it to the courtroom, nor does it include accusers who are unwilling to cooperate with police. It also doesn't take into account that it's often not in the public interest to fully prosecute false accusers. I'm sure they go after the blatantly obvious ones where it can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt, but how hard do you think they're going to go after a woman when there is a mental health/previous abuse angle involved?

TheFrog

Coach
I'm not sure how the subject of rape came into the thread, but what are the stats on the likelihood that a woman (or man) will bend the truth for financial gain?
Corporations do it all the time. Think James Hardie and CSR with asbestos. Also Shell knew about global warming in 1990 but continued to produce and sell oil.

Individuals, well some have ethics, others don't. I think most of us would lie to keep our employment or even to claim a sick day but only a few would lie to extort money.

A bloke got 7 years (in NSW) for lying when renewing his driving licence, so that he would be allowed to drive. He said he had never had seizures. He had one and killed three people, that's when they looked into his medical history.

Lambretta

First Grade
By comparing the number of cases brought against alleged false accusers to alleged rapists, what is it that you believe you are demonstrating here? This number obviously doesn't include allegations that don't make it to the courtroom, nor does it include accusers who are unwilling to cooperate with police. It also doesn't take into account that it's often not in the public interest to fully prosecute false accusers. I'm sure they go after the blatantly obvious ones where it can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt, but how hard do you think they're going to go after a woman when there is a mental health/previous abuse angle involved?

Agreed - of course it doesn't take into account every single event which ever occurred - it doesn't take into account the far greater number who get raped and say nothing either.
But comparing the numbers gives you quantity of scale

There are men who claim false accusation of rape to be as big a problem as rape
The facts don't support any such thing - saying it repeatedly doesn't make it a fact either

To say that women are playing victims as a way of ignoring a genuine problem with society is quite frankly sick

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
**Checks in on replies

**A whole page about women being raped & drivers killing people

**Where am i again.........

magpie4ever

First Grade
Corporations do it all the time. Think James Hardie and CSR with asbestos. Also Shell knew about global warming in 1990 but continued to produce and sell oil.

Individuals, well some have ethics, others don't. I think most of us would lie to keep our employment or even to claim a sick day but only a few would lie to extort money.

A bloke got 7 years (in NSW) for lying when renewing his driving licence, so that he would be allowed to drive. He said he had never had seizures. He had one and killed three people, that's when they looked into his medical history.

WTF. Are you suggesting a world without oil? No planes, trains, automobiles, power - f**k we would be back living in caves.

bileduct

Coach
Agreed - of course it doesn't take into account every single event which ever occurred - it doesn't take into account the far greater number who get raped and say nothing either.
But comparing the numbers gives you quantity of scale
But the numbers you provided are meaningless, not just for the reason I stated, but also because out of those 5,000 odd cases you're only going to see about an 8% conviction rate. So that leaves a whopping 85-90% of cases where nobody can prove anything occurred beyond a reasonable doubt, and that includes whether or not a false accusation has been made.

There are men who claim false accusation of rape to be as big a problem as rape
Maybe they've experienced first hand how easy it is for a woman to make an accusation of rape or sexual assault against someone and be instantly believed without any investigation from police.

The facts don't support any such thing - saying it repeatedly doesn't make it a fact either
No, but the statistics you're throwing around don't prove your case either.

To say that women are playing victims as a way of ignoring a genuine problem with society is quite frankly sick
I'm pretty sure that's not what T-Boon said. I'm pretty sure you're ignoring what T-Boon said with your little departure about rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts