What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus linked with return to Newcastle

Serc

First Grade
Buderus linked with return to Newcastle
Brett Keeble
May 7, 2011

CHAMPION former Knights captain Danny Buderus has again been linked to a return to Newcastle to play a swansong season under Wayne Bennett.
The 33-year-old hooker, rated one of the greatest players produced by the Knights, signed a two-year contract extension with English Super League club Leeds last season to take him through until the end of 2012. But sources in Sydney told the Herald last night that a deal in which Buderus would return to the Knights next year, as a player, was ''95 per cent certain'', and that such a development would cast doubt over current hooker Isaac De Gois's future.
De Gois had reportedly agreed to a new three-year deal with the Knights before Nathan Tinkler took ownership of the club on March 30, but all contract negotiations were put on hold until after the dust had settled on Tinkler's takeover.
Buderus, who had to hose down similar stories early last year, was reluctant to discuss the latest speculation when contacted by the Herald late last night, saying that he was ''not in any position to comment on anything'', there was ''no story at the minute'', and to direct all further questions to his manager, George Mimis.
The Herald rang Mimis and left voicemail and text messages but these went unreturned.
Buderus played under Bennett's guidance in the Australian Test team in 2004 and 2005. Tinkler Sports Group chief executive and acting Knights chief executive Troy Palmer would not comment specifically about Buderus, but said: ''We're in the market for a number of players. We're working through our current playing list and players from outside that are available, and just working with Wayne Bennett and [current Knights coach] Rick Stone to come up with a squad for next year, but it's the early stages on all player negotiations at the moment.''
Buderus joined Leeds on a two-year deal in 2009.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/buderus-linked-with-return-to-newcastle-20110506-1ecl0.html

Alex28

Coach
For god sake... What exactly has Ike done wrong? I can see merit in replacing him with Ennis or Fein, but really Bedsy? His time has passed.

Ausguy

Coach
im not begrudging you signing players. go for it. but not everyone.

oh and you can leave ones you previously dumped alone too (upset sharks fan here)

Perth Knights

Juniors
No to Buderus ... he was good whilst he was at the Knights. But we must move forward and look to the future. Do we also ask the great man Andrew Johns to come back for a one year stint? Sign Degois and move forward I say!!

Serc

First Grade
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on here...hope we don't stuff things up long term at hooker...

(and no I'm not keen on having Bedsy back either, he is probably my favourite player ever but still...)

Here's a thought - are they going to cut De Gois, and run Bedsy and Gids as a dual hookers for a year, then Gidley as primary hooker from 2013 onwards?

Guys remember how Priddis was as at the Dragons, just brought for experience, wouldnt suprise me if it was the same with Bedsy.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on here...hope we don't stuff things up long term at hooker...

(and no I'm not keen on having Bedsy back either, he is probably my favourite player ever but still...)

Here's a thought - are they going to cut De Gois, and run Bedsy and Gids as a dual hookers for a year, then Gidley as primary hooker from 2013 onwards?

That's exactly what I thought! Kidney to hooker ftw!

Apey

Staff member
why do people keep getting worked up over every person we're linked to?

-> New Coach wanting to bring changes, lots and lots of $$$ (salary cap irrelevant)
-> we will be linked to just about every off-contract player based on sources such as someone in Newcastle (or even Sydney) farting & it sounding like the name of somebody off-contract.

anyway, in the unlikely event there is substance to this, no, please no... let's go forwards, not 10 steps backwards.

League_God

Juniors
I would love nothing more than for bedsy to play for us in 2012. In 2012 we will (with a bit of luck) finish in the top four. Would love for buderus to end on a high note