What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buettner and first grade

Swampdonkey

Juniors
I am not writing this to bag Buettner, i think he has been a good performer for the majority of his career.

I just want to know if i am missing something when i see people write about how long Buettner has until he returns from injury and that he will be used in the first grade squad when he returns.

Prior to his injury i thought he had little impact last year when he played and to be honest it was probably a few years before that since i have seen him offer any great amount of impact when he played in first grade.

With the depth that we appear to have in the centres and the seasoned first graders that Sheens is keen to play at 5/8, in Fitzhenry, Galea and potentially Marshall, i just can't see any room for him even with a large number of injuries.

As he is past 30 and the Tigers are building towards a big season next year, I couldn't see why Sheens would opt to play him when there are so many younger players that are fighting to get in the side.

Could you tell me if i am missing something here?

brook

First Grade
No I agree 100%

By then Benji will be back and will have had time to most likely cement a spot in the halves (given that they were just starting to move him there before his injury)

the centres will then become VERY contested with Elford, Fitzy, Halatau, Wilson and Harrison all fighting out for the same two spots

I don't see room for Beuttner - the other players are all so much younger and all talented

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
Its a tough one.

I can forgive him for some of last year. I know he did not play great, but really he was in a side that offered absolutely nothing at all and nothing was just coming off for him. I think he deserved alot of the criticism, but think he got more than expected. The side was playing terrible and it was affecting him. Look at the Tigers match versus the cowboys and the dragons. When the Tigers never had any momentum with the ball, Scott Prince could do absolutely nothing. This a similar case to Micheal Beutnerr.

However, when it comes to selection this year, Benji will be back. Id throw Marshall in to the halves spot, and Micky B back to first division. However id go on the logic, if a "gap" in our team appers (centre, five eigth - bench), and Micheals form in first division shows he has somthing to offer then I would not hesitate to pick him.

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
Oh & If Marshall was struggling a bit, or a centre spot became vacant I would not pick someone over Micheal just because "they are younger".

bonstonker

Juniors
it doesn't matter what we think.sheens must see him as an asset,and at times he has mentioned micky b when talking about injured players.

he wasn't great last year,but he did make alot of half breaks that had no support from the players to turn into full breaks.

the main thing is that he must never kick,especially his stupid chip kicks.

i think sheens will put him straight back in when he is fit enough.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I actually doubt he will play again. But he is now a development officer with the club he was up on the Gold Coast this week at the school carnivals so they are getting their money worth out of him.

Latest posts