What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldog Will Hopoate will not play rugby league on Sundays for religious reasons

some11

Referee
keyboard heroes

That's keyboard deity to you, do you not know that I am the true lord?

You're going to hell, unbeliever!

By the way, I was being sarcastic - however if I wrote a piece of fiction, fleeced people for their money and got tax exemption status would you believe me?

Pommy

Coach
They were advised weren't they....its in his contract, verbally agree upon, if not written. I'm sure that cost Hoppa some $.

In which case, who cares.

If he ever does play on a Sunday the NRL need to see if the dogs are under the cap with a 7 day a week playing Hopoate rather than 6 day.
Hes not going to play and go to hell without any compensation is he?

drago brelli

Bench
The only superstitious 'belief' that may have some validity is Karma. Have a look at what has happened to Parramatta since they got caught cheating the cap and rorting third party agreements. The place has imploded.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Good on Hoppa to stand for what he believes in and continues to do so. Much more character than the keyboard heroes in this thread.

And as probably one of the keyboard heroes you refer to, I stand up for what I believe in - letting some bloke no one's ever met or have proof ever existed, dictate your life is the biggest nonsense on the face of the earth. And I have enough character to rock up to my job every day they require me.

If we lived in a completely non-PC world where you could say what you wanted without fear of retribution, it would've been the NSWRL and Hopoate that Des teed off on.

Card Shark

Immortal
Yeh, the draw TBA that's already decided.

& the team possibly coming first gets a few of Saturday 3pm / 5.30pm games & yet another Monday.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeh, the draw TBA that's already decided.

& the team possibly coming first gets a few of Saturday 3pm / 5.30pm games & yet another Monday.

Fox Sports actually published the draw in full when it was released last year before someone realised the f**k up and pulled it down.

It won't be identical to what was published then but I'd be surprised if it's anything largely different from it, which is what I'm quoting from above.

Fox Sports actually published the draw in full when it was released last year before someone realised the f**k up and pulled it down.

It won't be identical to what was published then but I'd be surprised if it's anything largely different from it, which is what I'm quoting from above.

I bet the copy that you printed out already has all the pages stuck together hey Tim?

An early draw release would lead you to an early release of a different kind...

POPEYE

Coach
What does the bible say about being a wanker . . . not pulling out the finger seems to run in the family

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's up Hopoate and the Bulldogs, no one else's business after that.

We have had numerous players with religious beliefs in the past:

Father John Cootes - a catholic priest - is the first one who springs to mind because he also refused to play on Sundays. Back then, in the 1960s and 1970s it was seen as man standing up for his principles. He was good enough to play for NSW and Australia.

Players who had God on their bench in footy days

June 17, 2015 12:00amTroy Lennon
History editor
The Daily Telegraph

f7d906485e302d25d7ec9bac03b65b51

Father John Cootes was also a star rugby league player in the 1960s and 70s.

The game of rugby league is like a religion for some, with the State of Origin series a major feast cycle in the holy calendar. And while Acting Anglican Archbishop of Sydney Robert Forsyth and other religious leaders have told The Daily Telegraph that God is on the side of the Blues in tonight’s *potentially series’ deciding clash, there have been many outstanding sportspeople who have combined play and prayer.
Some players were intensely religious, some quit professional sport to follow their spiritual vocation, while others have dropped out of the seminary to follow their pigskin or trophy-chasing vocations.
As a youngster, rugby league’s Clive Churchill entertained thoughts of a life as a Marist Brother. Unfortunately for God he failed the leaving certificate and became a tyre moulder instead. And fortunately for footy fans this enabled him to hone the skills that made him one of the greats of the game.
Churchill is given credit for training a young John Cootes, the football-playing Catholic priest. Born in Maitland in 1941, in his youth Cootes was both a star footballer and a star student. He won a scholarship to study theology in Rome where he was ordained in 1962. During his time in Italy he played rugby union with the Lazio rugby team and only missed out on selection for the All-Italy team *because he was a foreigner.

When he returned to Australia he played in the Newcastle league competition and was selected to play in the city v country game in 1967. He was selected for NSW in 1969 and for Australia in 1969. After taking Australia to victory, scoring one of the tries in the tough 12-7 final against Great Britain in 1970, he announced his retirement from league. He went to Canada to study theology, even toying with playing gridiron, but later left the priesthood to get married and to start a chain of furniture stores.

f58a7d514e280e5edd51455ba321dba9

Father John Cootes (ball) fends off Jim Thompson in Australia v England Test in 1970.

More: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/e508443bf37c13002d7b5cd789c1186c

JamesRustle

First Grade
Any chance the dogs have made a $600k donation to the church on the understanding $500k comes back through as a tpp to hoppa via a respected parishioner's company? Win/Win. Dogs have him using minimal cap space, Hoppa has comfort tpp will be made, church takes a clip. Good business all round... untapped market here boys...

Thank you and god bless.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Really it's just shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. Dogs doing nothing this year. Big changes required.

davi

Juniors
He might now be giving consideration to playing on Sunday as it will hurt his future prospects in free agency if he continues with it. I also think he's very overated and is not worth the hassle.

While I respect Will Hopoate decision , if I were a club considering signing him I would look elsewhere.

"CANTERBURY fullback Will Hopoate will meet with his manager to decide if he’ll continue his Sunday sabbatical this season.

Hopoate’s manager Tyran Smith told The Sunday Telegraph he plans to have a discussion with the star Bulldog in the coming weeks.

The former Origin representative sat out four Sunday games last season due to his religious beliefs.

According to Smith, though, Hopoate hasn’t said if he’ll maintain his faith before football stance in 2017. The star outside back is also off-contract this season and may need to play as many games as possible to maximise his next contract.

“I haven’t spoken to (Will) about it (Sunday games) yet and it just depends on a whole heap of things,” Smith said. “He is still contracted for this year, so we’ll get together and reassess and I’ll get his views on what he wants to do then.

“I’m sure there are more Mormons playing in the NRL and they would like to keep the seventh-day Sabbath. But whether Will can or not, we’ll see.

“You also have to create a living for yourself, so I’ve just got to get his thoughts on it. I’ll do what benefits him. But he (Will) appreciated the backing of the Bulldogs last season and he repaid them with his form when he came back.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/d2439cde135e62bf1aeacbc7bc37f6f7

adamkungl

Immortal
Not playing on Sundays might cost him money so out goes the moral stance.
Typical religious f**kwit