What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldog Will Hopoate will not play rugby league on Sundays for religious reasons

justdave

Juniors
He might now be giving consideration to playing on Sunday as it will hurt his future prospects in free agency if he continues with it. I also think he's very overated and is not worth the hassle.

While I respect Will Hopoate decision , if I were a club considering signing him I would look elsewhere.

"CANTERBURY fullback Will Hopoate will meet with his manager to decide if he’ll continue his Sunday sabbatical this season.

Hopoate’s manager Tyran Smith told The Sunday Telegraph he plans to have a discussion with the star Bulldog in the coming weeks.

The former Origin representative sat out four Sunday games last season due to his religious beliefs.

According to Smith, though, Hopoate hasn’t said if he’ll maintain his faith before football stance in 2017. The star outside back is also off-contract this season and may need to play as many games as possible to maximise his next contract.

“I haven’t spoken to (Will) about it (Sunday games) yet and it just depends on a whole heap of things,” Smith said. “He is still contracted for this year, so we’ll get together and reassess and I’ll get his views on what he wants to do then.

“I’m sure there are more Mormons playing in the NRL and they would like to keep the seventh-day Sabbath. But whether Will can or not, we’ll see.

“You also have to create a living for yourself, so I’ve just got to get his thoughts on it. I’ll do what benefits him. But he (Will) appreciated the backing of the Bulldogs last season and he repaid them with his form when he came back.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/d2439cde135e62bf1aeacbc7bc37f6f7

This is a bit hypocritical isn't it?

If his beliefs require him to put his feet up on Sunday's one season you can't really decide to play on Sunday's the next. You either believe enough in your religion or you don't.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
who wants to go to work on a sunday anyway? apart from vicars, bell ringers and the salvation army , hes best off staying in bed and recovering from sat nite like the rest of us.

myrrh ken

First Grade
This is a bit hypocritical isn't it?

If his beliefs require him to put his feet up on Sunday's one season you can't really decide to play on Sunday's the next. You either believe enough in your religion or you don't.

Have a nice christmas?

betcats

Referee
That's where you're going wrong, atheists don't have beliefs just opinions . . . we don't find the need

Case in point. I already acknowledged that they don't believe in anything and you still had to tell me I am wrong and lay it out again. You're like vegans or something. You just can't stop yourselves from telling everyone what you don't believe in whether they give a shit or not.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Haha yeah. So when my mrs tells me what to do, it's my choice to listen to her. So really I'm not under the thumb, I'm totally in charge. Gotcha.

Its your choice to have a Mrs though. Leave her and she won't be telling you what to do(unless you are really a bitch). Its his choice to believe in that religion, if he chose not to believe in it and practice it then he wouldn't get told what to do. Like are you really saying he doesn't have a choice in this? That is dumb as f**k, like If he has no choice why would you belittle him for it?

justdave

Juniors
Its your choice to have a Mrs though. Leave her and she won't be telling you what to do(unless you are really a bitch). Its his choice to believe in that religion, if he chose not to believe in it and practice it then he wouldn't get told what to do. Like are you really saying he doesn't have a choice in this? That is dumb as f**k, like If he has no choice why would you belittle him for it?

Sorry, I'm just a new dumb guy but are you saying he doesn't have a choice in what? Being a believer?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Hope you're not breaking the following Leviticus laws if you're christian:
  • Picking up grapes that have fallen in your vineyard (19:10)
  • Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)
  • Cross-breeding animals (19:19)
  • Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)
  • Trimming your beard (19:27)
  • Getting tattoos (19:28)
  • Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)
  • Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)
  • Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)
  • Selling land permanently (25:23)

POPEYE

Coach
Case in point. I already acknowledged that they don't believe in anything and you still had to tell me I am wrong and lay it out again. You're like vegans or something. You just can't stop yourselves from telling everyone what you don't believe in whether they give a shit or not.
Just winding you up ol' mate, taking the piss out of those who believe in gods and the shit that accompanies them is like shooting rabbits in a barrel

betcats

Referee
Hope you're not breaking the following Leviticus laws if you're christian:
  • Picking up grapes that have fallen in your vineyard (19:10)
  • Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)
  • Cross-breeding animals (19:19)
  • Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)
  • Trimming your beard (19:27)
  • Getting tattoos (19:28)
  • Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)
  • Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)
  • Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)
  • Selling land permanently (25:23)

I did all of these in the last month alone.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Religious people will pick and choose what parts they want to believe and practice. Shock horror.

betcats

Referee
Who cares what they choose to believe? Im not religious but I honestly don't give two shits if someone is or not, believe or don't believe whatever you like it doesn't affect me.

I honestly find the scientific explanation of everything was created as far fetched as the bibles version. It's all just humans pretending to know the answers.

Latest posts