What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs Fire Sale: Can it finish the Dragons roster for 2018?

MilanDragon

Juniors
MilanDragon , so would I , however are we going on the media ' say so ' or do we know for a fact ? ( I am not trying to be argumentative ) . The Dragons big signing Ben Hunt is costing the club how much , once again the media are only speculating , $1mill. ?

Who really knows , however as you said , the last thing we want is for anyone of the rorter clubs is to get of that big bloody hook , that they have put themselves on .

I only hope that the NRL doesn't weaken at the knees and allow them the extra cap space , but with Lodd Grunberg running the show , you just never know .

True about the media say so. After my last post I went and read more articles which said we are in cap trouble.

Yet just yesterday or over the weekend maybe it was I was reading we are fine and one of few clubs still complying. Millward said we have always worked to the figure of 9.2M and that we never paid hunt what was speculated in the media.

So I guess it comes down to who you believe? And I honestly don't think Millward has anything to gain by saying we are complying with the cap (if we aren't) but plenty to lose. Otherwise you'd just keep your mouth shut right?

My only other thought is we want it increased knowing that other clubs would still be over and then we can bring in a subsidised 'marquee' player.

Biglance

Bench
I am not a fan of Aikten at centre. I think he is a backrower, but he lacks size to be a first grade backrower. I have heard that he played lock as a junior. There are massive wraps on Zac Lomax. I would like to see him given a shot at Aikten's centre position next year.

I also think that Host can take Thompson's spot next year.

I dont think Zac Lomax is anywhere need first grade. Hes only 17

Also host over thompson i have to politely disagree

j0nesy

Bench
Just read in another thread that we are one of the club's supporting the Bulldog's push to increase the salary cap to 9.6 million. Doesn't appear to make sense given the statements made by Millward. Unless there's something in it for us. A deal with the Bulldogs perhaps.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just read in another thread that we are one of the club's supporting the Bulldog's push to increase the salary cap to 9.6 million. Doesn't appear to make sense given the statements made by Millward. Unless there's something in it for us. A deal with the Bulldogs perhaps.

There was a film a number of years ago entitled " Remains of the Day " , and that is exactly what the Bullgrubs would give us . I just don't have too much faith in our club's finanancial wizards , to be able to broker any sort of a deal that would be in our favour .

Last edited:

PuffGasnier

Juniors
I dont think Zac Lomax is anywhere need first grade. Hes only 17

Also host over thompson i have to politely disagree

Zac Lomax isn't ready for the step-up to the top grade, especially slotting right into a starting centre spot. If Aitken isn't good enough for the first grade as some are saying - and I think that comes from him being so injured this year that people have other preferences now - surely Mann has to slot into that spot immediately.

At the moment he's playing utility off the bench, but he scored 10 tries in 13 appearances, two of which were the atrocious first games he had at fullback before he was dropped. Compared to Aitken last year, Mann was 10 in 13 and Aitken was 7 in 22.

If Flo wasn't playing so well right now, and showing that age isn't a factor in him finding the line, I'd be calling for Mann to get some time next year on the wing. As it is, a back-line of Dufty, McDonald, Mann, Lafai, Nightingale does not look bad at all, especially if Aitken can't find the form that he had when he first broke into the side.

At the end of the day, however, Lomax is not a better option than Mann by any stretch of the imagination.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope that Dylan Morris thinks twice when the Dogs come chasing him with this Family club BS if he becomes good. Anyone see the try he scored on the weekend. Reminded me of his old man big time. Saints have real big depth in the backs that is for sure.

Hard to believe that Dragons pushing for 9.6. Last I heard is that they want action taken if the cap is 9.2 and Dogs are way over. Dragons also stated that the clubs were told numerous times that the cap would be 9.2 and to budget for that to dig another nail in the coffin of the salary cap cheats.

I heard that with all these back ended deals for a bulk of their players they were close to the cap for 2018 yet added Foran and Woods. Current NSW/Aust prop and NZ half. That is pure arrogance and possibly shows that they had plans to shop these back ended guys earlier than thought.

Sad thing is Saints probably would have kept BMoz but he left for more dollars which the Dogs will not be paying for in his 3rd year. They will for part of it if he is lucky or some other club will foot the bill. Didn't BMoz say he felt let down by the Dragons for how they treated him in the end? Hmm, not as bad as this. They ruined a guys career to become a loyal 1 year player to a club he loves and won a GF to throw him to the curb when he got a couple of injuries.

Old Timer

Coach
Perhaps Graham can fill the vacant prop spot.
Two years so the young guys can develop.
Warming to this happening.
CC
We are just starting to get creativity in the halves and starting to look dangerous so why do we want to put Graham in as the 2nd five eighth and in some cases the primary ball player?
This guy is always looking for the ball in almost every set and continually dies with it or stymies the Dogs attack.
If he does that under Hassler then it stands to reason if he came here it would only become worse.
As I have posted before IMO Gallen and Graham are the very selfish types of players that we definitely don't need.
We need a hard nosed, tough, no frills prop who just gets about his work without too many mistakes.
Having had a look at the props on show in the last 4 or so rounds Campbell Gillard at Penrith has been a standout and would definitely compliment what we already have.

PuffGasnier

Juniors
Having had a look at the props on show in the last 4 or so rounds Campbell Gillard at Penrith has been a standout and would definitely compliment what we already have.

Campbell-Gillard is signed on a 4 year contract at the Panthers though, which ends in 2019. He has another two years under his belt there and more than likely is enjoying the success the team is having at the moment. As much as he is a likely upgrade on a Bulldogs recruit like Graham or Klemmer, he's not as readily open to getting poached by the Dragons as one of the guys from the Dogs.

j0nesy

Bench
There was a film a number of years ago entitled " Remains of the Day " , and that is exactly what the Bullgrubs would give us . I just don't have too much faith in our club's finanancial wizards , to be able to brooker any sort of a deal that would be in our favour .

I agree with you, I'm just speculating as to why we would be supporting the Bulldogs in regards to an increased salary cap. I have zero faith in Doust, however, surely Johnston is a different kettle of fish... we hope...

Como Connection

First Grade
We are just starting to get creativity in the halves and starting to look dangerous so why do we want to put Graham in as the 2nd five eighth and in some cases the primary ball player?
This guy is always looking for the ball in almost every set and continually dies with it or stymies the Dogs attack.
If he does that under Hassler then it stands to reason if he came here it would only become worse.
As I have posted before IMO Gallen and Graham are the very selfish types of players that we definitely don't need.
We need a hard nosed, tough, no frills prop who just gets about his work without too many mistakes.
OK then I'll go along with you re Graham.
Haven't seen much of him recently, cannot be bothered watching other teams.
I figured he would be a hard nosed prop, alias appears he is not.
CC

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree with you, I'm just speculating as to why we would be supporting the Bulldogs in regards to an increased salary cap. I have zero faith in Doust, however, surely Johnston is a different kettle of fish... we hope...

Could be as simple as...support our cause and you can have a (or 2) player like Klemmer (as an example) but you (Dragons) take the full quota.
Or, as an alternative:
Support our cause and we'll get uncle Greenberg to wipe your debt!

I believe both the Morris twins have kissed the grubs emblem on their jerseys. A crime i believe brings the game in to disrepute and should not be pardoned.Kissing a dragons emblem , all good & understandable. Ban them for life i say on par with drug cheats
Let's not buy any of their rubbish. Dude, the Saints. I'm Stranded. The single greatest Australian song of all time. I offer you considerable respect.

St Georgio

Juniors
I reckon this guy could be our missing link to winning a comp in 2018

BOXERS talk a lot of trash but Anthony Mundine might be serious this time around.

According to the Daily Telegraph the former rugby league star wants back in the NRL, meeting St George CEO Peter Doust to arrange a return to the Dragons in October’s Aboriginal knockout tournament.

The 42-year-old fighter played more than 100 games for the Dragons in an eight-year footy career and wore the NSW jersey three times during the 1999 Origin series. Never shy about talking himself up, the former five-eighth reckons he still has what it takes to succeed at the top level.

That might be a tough sell, but Newcastle legend Matthew Johns doesn’t doubt Mundine’s ambition.

“I love it,” Johns said on the Triple M Grill Team. “He’ll give it a crack.

“It’s a tall order. It’s tough — there’s no doubt about that. You lose that explosiveness as you get older, even a great athlete like Choc (does), but I love it, it’s just a great story.”

637967_640x360_large_20170815130512.jpg

Broncos gunning for top two

2:37
Mundine is full of bluster in the lead-up to fights but Johns doesn’t believe that arrogance will be a problem if he returns and says the Dragons must welcome him back with open arms. He says away from the cameras Mundine is a “champion” who would do wonders for St George.

“It’ll create a lot of interest,” Johns said. “If I was (Dragons coach) Paul McGregor I’d say, ‘Come on Choc, come back, come and join us in the off-season.’

“He isn’t a disruptive influence. He’s an absolute champion, he’s a really good fella. He takes a lot of his cues — the way he sells his fights — off his hero Muhammad Ali but he’s a terrific bloke.

“He’d be good for the young blokes there. Imagine if he played in the first trial game just to see how he goes, he’d fill the stadium.”

Penrith great Mark Geyer says Mundine will never make it back to an NRL field but is keen to see how the comeback pans out.

39919e1c5b899a5d4a5dc16f99867216

Is this a sight we’ll see again?Source: Getty Images
“It’s never going to happen. I don’t think he’ll ever play footy again but the fact he wants to have a dig is going to be fascinating to watch,” Geyer said.

Mundine left the NRL nearly 17 years ago to pursue his boxing dream. A three-time world champion, his future in the sport has been uncertain ever since losing his rematch to Danny Green in February.

Mundine’s initial plan was to play in the Auckland Nines but even though that tournament has been scrapped for 2018, his comeback plan is still alive.

“I’m training to increase my speed now to prepare. I’ll see how I go and then talk to the Dragons again about the off-season,” Mundine told the Daily Telegraph.

In May this year Mundine said he believed he was “capable” of making it back to the NRL and wanted “to do things that have never been done, I want to make it possible”.

The former pivot would become the oldest player to ever appear in the NRL if his comeback miracle eventuates, overtaking North Sydney’s Billy Wilson who was 40 and five days when he played his final match.

Gareth67

First Grade

JOnesy , I believe that also , of all people on the Dragons board Brian Johnston Is the one whom I respect the most . What concerns me Is the true state of our cap for next year , however all shall be revealed soon enough , for good or bad . :innocent:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Aiken would never have scored the trys Mann has from close range.
Aiken would have tried to run over the top of them.
That being said, I do like Aiken but where does he fit into the team, however Mary is the coach!
CC

CC
I think bench .
Mary always plays a utility there.
Give him a of season working on that.
It could work.
What do you think.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
With Brett - could or would he come under our cap exemption for players that served longer than 7 years? Assuming Nighty isn't taking the whole 300k.

That would mean Dogs pay some salary.. some under the cap allowance. We could do worse.

In saying that - we have enough outside backs and don't need an injured 30 year old blocking that pathway.

Milan
As far as I know.
Its consecative years at a club.

Latest posts