What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs the new Manly?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Bulldogs the new Manly?
By Mike Gibson www.foxsports.com.au
September 24, 2003

IN a letter to the editor the other week, a reader inquired, "Since Manly didn't make the finals series and now the Broncos have been knocked out, who is there left to hate?"

Quick as a flash, the following day another reader shot back, "How about Canterbury?"

It got me to thinking. How unpopular are the Bulldogs? Is their "us and them" mentality truly warranted?

So I put it to a selection of blokes I know. Footy fans of a variety of persuasions.

"What do you think about the Bulldogs?" I asked.

Would you believe, almost to a man, they replied, "I don't like them".

Asked who they'd like to win the premiership, they either answered Penrith, the Roosters or the Warriors.

Not one plumped for Canterbury.

In several cases, so intense was their dislike for the boys from Belmore that I find myself forced to pose this question.

Have the Bulldogs become the new Manly?

Now, before I start getting hate mail with Lakemba postmarks, let me assure you I have nothing against the club.

Each year I get a badge from the Canterbury Leagues Club. Steve Mortimer is one of my best rugby league mates. My welcome at Belmore has never been less than cordial. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to know why is it that the Bulldogs have become so unpopular in recent years?

It all began, to my way of thinking, when a group of Canterbury fans started causing trouble at games, notably hassling rival supporters.

Such problems haven't been entirely unique to the Bulldogs. But they got the crook publicity. And it stuck.

Then, of course, there was the big whammy last year.

The headlines screamed, "Bulldogs cheats!"

The Canterbury players cried foul. So did their fans. It wasn't them. It was the officials.

Not that rugby league supporters en masse exhibited much sympathy for the Bulldogs' plight.

Asked whether the ruling body was too harsh by not only fining them but effectively throwing them out of the finals series, fans of other clubs overwhelmingly supported the NRL.

A significant number of those involved at the Canterbury club blamed the media for their salary cap nightmare.

Shoot the messenger. It's the oldest comeback in the book.

Willie Mason, terrific player though he is, did nothing to enhance the public perception of his team with the contemptuous attitude he displayed when he scored against Melbourne last Sunday.

From Gorden Tallis, you might have expected it. From Willie, it was not a good look.

Nor was the reaction of Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes at the press conference after the game, where despite answering questions, he left little doubt that few of his inquisitors were on his Christmas list.

So. Can the Bulldogs win their way back into the hearts of the league public?

This is still the same team that riled the fans last year.

Can the club shake their image of Canterbury versus the rest of the rugby league world? Do they want to? Do they care?

Maybe they do, although at this stage clearly they are using this "siege mentality" as a weapon to help them win the premiership.

In AFL, the club fans love to hate has traditionally been Collingwood.

In rugby league, it has been Manly.

But have the Bulldogs taken over? You tell me.

--------------------------

Seems to me only the roosters and broncos come close to the hate we get.

Victor Trumper

Juniors
Ultimately, who cares.

People hate clubs for various reasons and at various times, at the moment its us, in a few years time it maybe another team. If Penrith start winning a bunch of premierships you can almost spot the hate inspired jibes from the other clubs even now.
* Parramatta will be claiming that they are stealing all of the western suburbs juniors
* Cronulla will be yelling that they only became good because they stole Cronulla coach and a bunch of their players in 2001-02
* the Tigers will be winging that they are only good because they get bankrolled by the massive Leagues club empire that they have
* the Warriors will be complaining about all the Kiwis in the side and how they haven't any loyalty or they would be playing for their 'local' team
* St George will be accusing them of cheating as there is no way they can fit all the players under the salary cap
* and so on (and on and on and on)

Now it might not be Penrith, it could be any side, but I'll bet fans from every club have some mud to throw at them whoever it is.

In the end its all fun and games. ;-)

ngunity

Juniors
I don't give a damn if everyone hates the Dogs passionately just so long as 2 things remain constant:

1) We continue to consistently beat every other club so Bulldogs fan can rub their noses in it, and not be found supporting a hated and unsuccessful club

2) All the Bulldogs fans love them as much as me and we continue to build a loyal fan base to support the club, so that the club can continue to prosper

Back to point 1 because everyone hates my team they're always telling me either (a) you won't win. (and they're always wrong) :D or (b) if it comes down to Bulldogs vs X (substitute any other team for X) then I am going for X

It does get me down a bit having all this negativity thrown at me, but just so long as we're winning I can smile upon all the poor fools who go against the BUlldogs and feel righteous and satisfied

JK

If people want to throw away their self respect and support the goosters in the finals series then go ahead!

8)

Matt23

Staff member
No...The roosters are the "new" Manly, I dont want another off season listening to the worlds worst winners complain about how "nobody respects them"...go Doggies, do us all a favour, take out the trash.

jack coburn

Juniors
i hope the roosters beat the poodles then the warrior's beat the rooster's.poodle fan's are the reason nobody like's them.last year they cheat the cap then carry on like spoilt kid's when kicked out,then the nrl make's them a protected spiecies for a year to stop them crying,poor babies.i spose since they got the biggest payout of any superleague club they thought they were bigger than the game itself.

Canterbury

Juniors
Matt23 said:
No...The roosters are the "new" Manly, I dont want another off season listening to the world winners complain about how "nobody respects them"...go Doggies, do us all a favour, take out the trash.

Matt hit it right.

If they go back to back do you know how bad it will be for the game?

I mean, look at Parramatta, they went back to back what was it 20 or 30 years ago and it's still raved about today as the greatest thing ever.

They won it once and all of a sudden their the best club .. if they win it again it will be an international disaster.

Disco

Bench
anastabation said:
I would prefere to be hated ! Hate only comes from jealousy so I consider it an accomplishment.
Exactly, as a Manly Fan i love the fact that we are hated, it demonstrates how successful we have been and how our ruthless busness stratigies took us to the top, and i hate the fact that recently peoples hate is slowly turning into pity. i live for the day when we are hated as much as Collingwood again

Dogs Of War

Coach
slippery eel said:
Talk about hatred turning into confusion..... in the '95 grand final i didn't know who to support!.

Only 2 weeks to go slip before you walk away from the game, oh make that 11 days to go....

slippery eel

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
slippery eel said:
Talk about hatred turning into confusion..... in the '95 grand final i didn't know who to support!.

Only 2 weeks to go slip before you walk away from the game, oh make that 11 days to go....

If the Roosters dont win...... than youve got your premiership.

imasharkie

Coach
Manly have always been and will always be the most hated team but crikey Easts are a close 2nd.........go the dogs