What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunbury RL

joondalup_giant

Staff member
someone should start up a junior club in the armadale area surely with the amount of growth the area is having they'd be able 2 start up a small junior club?

albert

Juniors
someone should start up a junior club in the armadale area surely with the amount of growth the area is having they'd be able 2 start up a small junior club?

It would be nice, but to be honest I don't think there is enough people who have the heart to start a fresh.Pries park is due for re development and you have to have money to start with.I had a ball with my 5 years at the club but sadly that's the way the it is.Why not try and bring back clubs like Applecross and Sorrento etc?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Why not try and bring back clubs like Applecross and Sorrento etc?

Sorrento is 10 mins from joondalup & 10 mins from North Beach. North Beach are strugglin at the moment in the junior department so puttin a side where they potentially get there juniors from would be damaging to them as a junior club.

Joondalup has only in recent years become the 2nd largest junior club in the state due to good administration and the population growth we have in our area.

Applecross is a stones throw from South Perth so same argument as above.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Sorrento is 10 mins from joondalup & 10 mins from North Beach. North Beach are strugglin at the moment in the junior department so puttin a side where they potentially get there juniors from would be damaging to them as a junior club.

Joondalup has only in recent years become the 2nd largest junior club in the state due to good administration and the population growth we have in our area.

Applecross is a stones throw from South Perth so same argument as above.

Having played for both Sorrento & Applecross it be great to see them back but JG is right, they'd put too much pressure on other clubs at this point. But clubs like those two and others like Armadale & Mossie Cott should be relooked at whenever the Reds finally re-enter the comp and more kids are exposed to the game.

Great to see a SW team in at this point :) Don't like the name warriors though. I think the WARL should prevent clubs taking the logo/name of previous clubs, I'd personally hate for a club to take the name Jets and prevent Applecross keeping there history if they ever were re-introduced.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would love to see a club somewhere in the western suburbs to challeng the rah rahs!

Maybe another northern club as well given the growth in those suburbs north of Joondalup. As said hopefully the Reds back in the NRL and the game on FTA TV will see alot more opportunities for growth eventually. For now I want to see teh WARL working hard with clubs to get them all running multiple jnr sides and strengthening the comp as is.

albert

Juniors
For now I want to see teh WARL working hard with clubs to get them all running multiple jnr sides and strengthening the comp as is.

Totally agree they should try and strengthen Central Districts with there juniors as they have struggled over the years.

With them moving to Kalamunda a new area might entice more juniors there way.

Smithtown

Coach
Would love to see a club somewhere in the western suburbs to challeng the rah rahs!

Maybe another northern club as well given the growth in those suburbs north of Joondalup. As said hopefully the Reds back in the NRL and the game on FTA TV will see alot more opportunities for growth eventually. For now I want to see teh WARL working hard with clubs to get them all running multiple jnr sides and strengthening the comp as is.

The Clubs are essentially left to their own devices to develop and recruit. There's no real help from the WARL as such.

The ARL Developments Officers brief is to go to local schools and promote the sport through those streams - but the result is that there can be little flow on effect to some Clubs.

There's no need for another northern suburbs side until current northern sides can fill every grade, which they currently can't. Armadale is the area crying out for a club, followed by Mandurah and of course Bunbury who are raring to go in certain grades.

Last edited:

Dragonwest

Juniors
I'm amazed that the clubs/WARL do not run their own flag comps over summer at the club's home grounds. Try get the juniors and seniors involved on a say a Wed night to avoid clashes with cricket training. Focus on the juniors attracting they're friends to have a run with the aim of getting them interested for the next winter season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh a summer night 9's comp during Feb/March would be good

Surprised the development officers don't have info on local clubs to give to the kids in schools. For me the WARL should be about marketing, supporting infrastrucutre at clubs and running jnr development including helping clubs recruit.

Will be interesting to see how the new WARL board perform and what they see asthere strategic priorities.

Swamp

Juniors
It is now official, the South West Warriors have been accepted into the WARL & will play it's maiden season in the Premier grade with a possible move upto 1st grade next season. This very exciting times for the game of RL in the SW with many of the local papers continually asking for updates. In the past month the Warriors have taken training sessions to Australind, Harvey & Collie culminating with a successful turn out in Busselton last night. The Dunsborough Mail were on hand to capture some of the action! GWN & WIN news have also expressed their interests by turning up to training next week to do story for their sports bulletin.
The formation of the SW Warriors would not have been possible without the tireless effort of a small group of people who have put in many hours & dug deep into their pockets to get this off the ground. For this we say thankyou!
Here's to the future of RL in the Sout West. Go the Warriors!!

Swamp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great news Swamp. All the best to teh Warriors and hopefully I'll get down to catch a game during the season.

At one point it looked like I might move down there and was looking forward to helping out at the club but that ain't happening now. Maybe the big mine development at Boddington might also bring some Kiwis and Q'landers to the area?

Swamp

Juniors
Great news Swamp. All the best to teh Warriors and hopefully I'll get down to catch a game during the season.

At one point it looked like I might move down there and was looking forward to helping out at the club but that ain't happening now. Maybe the big mine development at Boddington might also bring some Kiwis and Q'landers to the area?
Yeah PR, hopefully we can have a successful year with sponsorship, crowds, juniors, good results & media exposure to see us advertise in the RL Week or the like next year. Work availability is a big incentive to attract players.

Swamp

seaeagleray

Juniors
The Rockingham Sharks have a trail game against the Warriors in Collie on the 6th March.
I know i will be going down to show my support

Swamp

Juniors
That's right, there will also be a women's tag game as well. Both WIN & GWN news had a piece on the warriors last night showing a few drills with interviews with the coach & president.

Swamp

bennySW

Juniors
Warriors played the Sharks yesterday at Collie SHS in front of, approx & guessing about2000 people.

Played in 20min quarters, in 30degree heat with little breeze

Half Time scoreline was heavely in favour of the sharks 5 tries to 1, one disallowed for knockon (where the ball never touched the ground - but wont get into that !!!)

Full Time 7 tries to 7.

Sharks having a split of 1st graders, reserves and colts boy they could be the real deal in 1st grade this year.

Warriors have never played together and showed some promise, with players coming from UK, NZ, Tonga, Australian eastern seaboard.

I've heard from forums and chatter around the traps, that people, supporters and players a like are saying that its only a KIWI side, you 100% incorrect.

With the sharks and the Southwest fighting out a good game in spirit and the game of rugby league the competition is looking good for the newest team in the premier grade of WARL 2010.

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, well done SW Warriors. I look forward to playing you in Round 1 of the season proper.