What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgess barrage

Rabbits20

Immortal
The trouble with that theory is that the other players up front aren't able to provide the slightest bit of authority for Sam to roll around like a loose cannon!! In fact,without Sam up front & leading the way we will basically be a laughing stock!! We will need to get on top of the Manly forwards & I believe we can do that if Sam throws his weight around as a true enforcer!!
Sam can play more through the middle from lock but also playing at lock allows him to occasionally roam a bit, even if it's just say 3-4 times out of his 16-17 hit ups. It's important to test Manly a bit wider too with Sam charging. It makes Sam more dangerous than just plodding up the middle!!!!

Yes Sam will have to be really good if we are to have a shot against Manly. Musgrove will also have to be strong.

Turner and Sutto must lift.

I have a feeling George will be a late inclusion.

A big problem though Doyen is Kelly doesn't know/have it in him to capitalise on anything!!!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I reckon Crichton should be starting in the second row instead of Turner.

I like turner but not for the full 80 I think it should be turner starting with Sutton coming on for him or vice versa I don't really mind. Our second rowers honestly seem ok it's more our props that are a worry :( It's starting to feel like we should be throwing the rest of our salary cap at an another experienced prop.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sam can play more through the middle from lock but also playing at lock allows him to occasionally roam a bit, even if it's just say 3-4 times out of his 16-17 hit ups. It's important to test Manly a bit wider too with Sam charging. It makes Sam more dangerous than just plodding up the middle!!!!

Yes Sam will have to be really good if we are to have a shot against Manly. Musgrove will also have to be strong.

Turner and Sutto must lift.

I have a feeling George will be a late inclusion.

A big problem though Doyen is Kelly doesn't know/have it in him to capitalise on anything!!!!!

We need George back at his best we desperately need it. Tom has never really been good when George hasn't played at his best. Surely he has to feel shame somewhere in him that he's playing reserve grade?

DiegoNT

First Grade
To say prop will be to restrictive for Sam's running game, look where jesse bromwich scored his gf try. Graham and kasiano pop up everywhere for the dogs, as does woods, fifita, Tamou and any decent prop

souths_reborn

Juniors
To say prop will be to restrictive for Sam's running game, look where jesse bromwich scored his gf try. Graham and kasiano pop up everywhere for the dogs, as does woods, fifita, Tamou and any decent prop
Traditionally, props play up the centre of the field; that's not to say that their channel is strictly between the goal posts. Props can sometimes pop up in wider areas, its just that more often than not they play up the middle with locks having a more expansive role. In saying that, in the modern game many teams play an extra front rower at lock e.g. Taumalolo for the Cowboys. Hence, you could flip your argument around and say that if changing positions is not going to make much difference to his game then why do it at all; the only thing that would change is the number on his back. I found it one of the greatest gee ups in origin history when a few years ago the NSW camp made a big deal about moving Paul Gallen from lock to the front row - it made absolutely no difference to his game whatsoever. With regards to Sam, if you want him to play like a traditional lock then he is probably best left at no. 13.

souths_reborn

Juniors
We need George back at his best we desperately need it. Tom has never really been good when George hasn't played at his best. Surely he has to feel shame somewhere in him that he's playing reserve grade?
That's the whole idea of dropping him - so that he feels the stigma of playing reserve grade in the hope that it will fire him up. Additionally, I think playing for the Bears will give him the opportunity to find some form. I think for too long now the twins have been below their best in spite of not having support from a the type of hooker that they need. I get the impression that they make have fallen into the trap of thinking that they were untouchable in the Souths team.

DiegoNT

First Grade
That's the whole idea of dropping him - so that he feels the stigma of playing reserve grade in the hope that it will fire him up. Additionally, I think playing for the Bears will give him the opportunity to find some form. I think for too long now the twins have been below their best in spite of not having support from a the type of hooker that they need. I get the impression that they make have fallen into the trap of thinking that they were untouchable in the Souths team.
I remember when I was 17 and got dropped to the bench for a guy that was a total gumby. Was a big wake up call, and I never played bench for the rest of the year