What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burns The Secret Behind Reynolds' Form Surge

alien

Referee
Words: Chris Kennedy‌, National Correspondent‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
Mon 3rd July, 04:33 PM

1499063741223.jpg

A commanding performance from Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds in a huge 42-14 was sparked from an unlikely source: rookie winger Braidon Burns.

Reynolds has been good in patches this year without showing the sort of dominance he did in the 2014 premiership year or even the type of form that earned him an Origin debut last year but he was outstanding against the Panthers, kicking for four tries and two line drop-outs and running the ball well for four busts.

It prompted his coach Michael Maguire to describe it as Reynolds' best effort of the season.

Speaking to NRL.com after the game, Reynolds said his pinpoint kicking game was the result of some long afternoons at training alongside Burns.

Burns had a torrid time last time Souths played the Panthers, tormented by a series of floating Nathan Cleary bombs in just his fourth top-grade start. Souths clung on to win that game 21-20 but Burns lasted just one more week in the top grade before being demoted.

After serving some time playing for the Bears in the Intrust Super Premiership, Burns returned to the top grade in the Round 15 win over the Titans and played strongly before bagging a key try from a Reynolds kick in Sunday's win over the Panthers.

Reynolds was typically reluctant to accept any praise even after such a commanding display with the boot, that also included a perfect seven from seven conversions.

"It's something I'm continually working on at training but a lot of credit probably has to go to Braidon Burns," Reynolds said.

"He's always nagging and nagging me at training to do extras with him and for a young fella that's what you want."

Those extras include helping Burns work on a weakness Cleary exploited last time with the high ball, as well as adapting to scoring the type of leaping try from cross-field kicks that earned the youngster his four-pointer on Sunday.

"We've been practising those cross field kicks. He got a chance [on Sunday] and he got one so a lot of credit goes to him and a lot of hard work behind the scenes there," Reynolds added.

"He's a confident kid and he's got the world at his feet. I think the world of him and not only on the field but off the field. He's definitely had some challenges [in life] and that's a reflection of what a person he is and it's great to see him being rewarded for hard work."

Reynolds' coach had an easier time praising the halfback's performance than the man himself.

"I thought that was Adam's best game this year," Maguire said.

"He's had some really good moments throughout games but I was really pleased for him.

"He's been working hard at his game and he's got the rewards off the back of the hard work he's been doing in the background."

Both Reynolds and Maguire felt it was the best team performance of the year, sparked in part by a strong last-start win over the Titans in Round 15.

"We grew against the Titans in our attack, a lot of confidence was taken out of that game," Maguire said.

"It came into our attack [Sunday], the boys pushed hard and worked hard for each other. It's something the boys have been building for quite some time. Now it's about consistency in how we do that."

Added Reynolds: "Overall as a team I think it was our best performance for the year.

"Many individuals probably had their best game. That's our standard now, we've got to live up to that and obviously we've got a short turnaround coming up against the Roosters. No doubt we'll get back to training and take what we can out of this game and move on."

The Rabbitohs still need, in probability, six wins from their final nine games to have a chance at finals footy but Reynolds hoped with momentum on their side they could make a run.

"There's a few teams scraping the bottom of the eight there and if we can string a few together it will lodge us right in there. The boys are confident and getting the job done," he said.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/07/03/burns_the_secret_beh.html

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Words: Chris Kennedy‌, National Correspondent‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
Mon 3rd July, 04:33 PM

1499063741223.jpg

A commanding performance from Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds in a huge 42-14 was sparked from an unlikely source: rookie winger Braidon Burns.

Reynolds has been good in patches this year without showing the sort of dominance he did in the 2014 premiership year or even the type of form that earned him an Origin debut last year but he was outstanding against the Panthers, kicking for four tries and two line drop-outs and running the ball well for four busts.

It prompted his coach Michael Maguire to describe it as Reynolds' best effort of the season.

Speaking to NRL.com after the game, Reynolds said his pinpoint kicking game was the result of some long afternoons at training alongside Burns.

Burns had a torrid time last time Souths played the Panthers, tormented by a series of floating Nathan Cleary bombs in just his fourth top-grade start. Souths clung on to win that game 21-20 but Burns lasted just one more week in the top grade before being demoted.

After serving some time playing for the Bears in the Intrust Super Premiership, Burns returned to the top grade in the Round 15 win over the Titans and played strongly before bagging a key try from a Reynolds kick in Sunday's win over the Panthers.

Reynolds was typically reluctant to accept any praise even after such a commanding display with the boot, that also included a perfect seven from seven conversions.

"It's something I'm continually working on at training but a lot of credit probably has to go to Braidon Burns," Reynolds said.

"He's always nagging and nagging me at training to do extras with him and for a young fella that's what you want."

Those extras include helping Burns work on a weakness Cleary exploited last time with the high ball, as well as adapting to scoring the type of leaping try from cross-field kicks that earned the youngster his four-pointer on Sunday.

"We've been practising those cross field kicks. He got a chance [on Sunday] and he got one so a lot of credit goes to him and a lot of hard work behind the scenes there," Reynolds added.

"He's a confident kid and he's got the world at his feet. I think the world of him and not only on the field but off the field. He's definitely had some challenges [in life] and that's a reflection of what a person he is and it's great to see him being rewarded for hard work."

Reynolds' coach had an easier time praising the halfback's performance than the man himself.

"I thought that was Adam's best game this year," Maguire said.

"He's had some really good moments throughout games but I was really pleased for him.

"He's been working hard at his game and he's got the rewards off the back of the hard work he's been doing in the background."

Both Reynolds and Maguire felt it was the best team performance of the year, sparked in part by a strong last-start win over the Titans in Round 15.

"We grew against the Titans in our attack, a lot of confidence was taken out of that game," Maguire said.

"It came into our attack [Sunday], the boys pushed hard and worked hard for each other. It's something the boys have been building for quite some time. Now it's about consistency in how we do that."

Added Reynolds: "Overall as a team I think it was our best performance for the year.

"Many individuals probably had their best game. That's our standard now, we've got to live up to that and obviously we've got a short turnaround coming up against the Roosters. No doubt we'll get back to training and take what we can out of this game and move on."

The Rabbitohs still need, in probability, six wins from their final nine games to have a chance at finals footy but Reynolds hoped with momentum on their side they could make a run.

"There's a few teams scraping the bottom of the eight there and if we can string a few together it will lodge us right in there. The boys are confident and getting the job done," he said.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/07/03/burns_the_secret_beh.html

Wow burns is a real hard worker. What a good kid. This is the sort of thing Souths should be encouraging. Burns had a great game against panthers which made it worth it!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
lets see if he can reach alex johnston"s standard as a regular 1st grade player burns is far from it but rabbit dont knows loses his mind every time when souths have a win its laughable isnt it R20 giggle giggle giggles for all.i like burns and talakai and jennings but these 3 have under performed this year and burns did not score 5 tries did he it was alex johnston???i recall burns scoring 5 tries for penrith in the under 20" but thats not 1st grade there is a massive difference in case you dont know that.....im glad talakai and jennings were not in the side last game otherwise rabbit dont knows would also be talking up talakai and jennings too .!Im in stitches over here R20 it defies logic as you already know thats why they are called the dont knowers but i for one want these 3 players to succeed thats the south sydney way but sometimes if you aint got it like mcturtle dud mcinnes then you aint got it i see stmerge are sliding but but but its not mcturtle dud mcinnes"s fault lol ....Shadow...

Last edited:

OVP

Coach
Ever thought about being a professional motivational speaker Shadow ? They'll call your first gig, 'Lemming Sunday".

Rabbit toes

First Grade
lets see if he can reach alex johnston"s standard as a regular 1st grade player burns is far from it but rabbit dont knows loses his mind every time when souths have a win its laughable isnt it R20 giggle giggle giggles for all.i like burns and talakai and jennings but these 3 have under performed this year and burns did not score 5 tries did he it was alex johnston???i recall burns scoring 5 tries for penrith in the under 20" but thats not 1st grade there is a massive difference in case you dont know that.....im glad talakai and jennings were not in the side last game otherwise rabbit dont knows would also be talking up talakai and jennings too .!Im in stitches over here R20 it defies logic as you already know thats why they are called the dont knowers but i for one want these 3 players to succeed thats the south sydney way but sometimes if you aint got it like mcturtle dud mcinnes then you aint got it i see stmerge are sliding but but but its not mcturtle dud mcinnes"s fault lol ....Shadow...
Feel free to back up your usual bullshit with actual proof. Quotes or replies. Otherwise shut up and sticking to posting garbage

ThingFish

Juniors
My name is ThingFish ...... and I'm a don't knower.

I hadn't realised I'd been hiding the FACT most of my life, until one day I joined a NRL forum. Luckily it was pointed out to me by a truth teller. I had been, and still was a don't knower.

But then I met a lot of don't knowers. Like me they argued topics, but they didn't insult each other, weak. They also recognised when players where struggling with form, but where weak and actually acknowledged when they had great games as well. Us don't knowers also where silly and actually considered there was a cap system in place when talking recruitment, we where idiots. We should be able to have 30 marquee players, silly don't knowers. Us don't knowers where also too positive about our team, we supported too much, we actually gave ourselves a chance, silly. Us don't knowers actually remember the really bad seasons of the 90s, remember the exile years, we knew each week Souths can throw a competitive team together, and the Cardinal and Myrtle get to play, well that's a week to celebrate. But we are don't knowers and unless we're winning by 30 we should be depressed and bitter. Silly don't knowers.

My name is ThingFish and I'm a proud don't knower.

callmack1

Staff member

I hadn't realised I'd been hiding the FACT most of my life, until one day I joined a NRL forum. Luckily it was pointed out to me by a truth teller. I had been, and still was a don't knower.

But then I met a lot of don't knowers. Like me they argued topics, but they didn't insult each other, weak. They also recognised when players where struggling with form, but where weak and actually acknowledged when they had great games as well. Us don't knowers also where silly and actually considered there was a cap system in place when talking recruitment, we where idiots. We should be able to have 30 marquee players, silly don't knowers. Us don't knowers where also too positive about our team, we supported too much, we actually gave ourselves a chance, silly. Us don't knowers actually remember the really bad seasons of the 90s, remember the exile years, we knew each week Souths can throw a competitive team together, and the Cardinal and Myrtle get to play, well that's a week to celebrate. But we are don't knowers and unless we're winning by 30 we should be depressed and bitter. Silly don't knowers.

Haha same here mate!;)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Don't worry about Rabbit Toes.

He is butthurt and shocked that Turner got dropped!!!!! FACT....

It's obvious to see why he was dropped though Shadow. He wasn't performing and was too comfortable in his mediocre zone. Hopefully this kick up the butt wakes him up!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

The thing is on here most posters don't recognise when players aren't performing. They sugar coat things and hide away from it!!!!

We know we can't have a bunch of stars but look at how we lost Brown. You tell Turner and Tyrrell to go and we probably keep Brown and have a youngster as a back up which makes good sense!!!!!!!! Our retention and recruitment after the GF has been shithouse!!!!!!!!!

At times last season I saw my team not give a shit and it was a bunch of players who looked like they had never met one another!!!!!!!!! I asked myself last season how did that compare to 2002 and at least we had a team then who were proud to wear that jersey even though we didn't have the skill!!!!!!! We had players last season who took our jersey for granted!!!!!!

You don't have to recruit all superstars but it's about being smarter!!!!!!!!! At the end of this season I'd be having Cherrington stay on another season!!!!! I'd get rid of Gosiewski as I don't rate him. We already have Fui, Crichton, Sam, Sutto, Murray and Britt!!!!!

On this forum Burns has his first quality match besides the CS and people have overreacted. We are getting ahead of ourselves!!!!! Burns is not an out and out first grade starter at this stage. But yes he's got more quality then Robert Jennings.

From what I have seen of Jennings he has concentration issues!!!!!! He switches on and off. He is pretty poor defensively. He also knows how to obstruct plays frequently and get his timing out plus he can't catch the ball or put in an unmarked winger to score. He could very well turn out to be a flop and NSW Cup player unless he starts putting in the hard yards to see what he could become!!!!!!

I don't know why we signed such hacks like Nielsen or Kelly. Both were backwards signings!!!!!!!

The fact Greinke can't even make the starting pack at Norths is a big concern. This tells us he can't handle starting in a NSW Cup match!!!!!!! Also Bennett was very happy to let him go and he is choosy in his judgement.

Of course we can celebrate a win but I have higher standards of my team these days and we can't get ahead of ourselves and get cocky which has happened a bit on here!!!!!!!!

Fancy a poster saying we can win the comp this year!!!!!!! That's just a stupid and foolish comment!!!!! That's getting ahead of yourself as well!!!!!!!! We don't have the quality in our squad to be going deep into September. FACT........ If we had Dylan and Brown I would be thinking differently. We are missing that strike back and hardworking no nonsense prop who does the hard yards again and again that doesn't go missing during matches and makes 15 hit ups to help Sam.

We need a miracle just to make 8th spot at this stage!!!!!!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Don't worry about Rabbit Toes.

He is butthurt and shocked that Turner got dropped!!!!! FACT....

It's obvious to see why he was dropped though Shadow. He wasn't performing and was too comfortable in his mediocre zone. Hopefully this kick up the butt wakes him up!!!!!!
Hahaha oK. Good attempt at trolling, but if I was truly butt hurt wouldn't I have started a thread entitled, something along the lines of " fans disappointed Turner dropped" and then constantly bump it.

But hey at least I still respect the man and am thankful for his efforts otherwise I'd have changed my profile pick as soon as I'd heard.
Sound familiar?

Maybe I should do both and then I'll look half as stupid as you do on a daily basis.

Rabbits20

Immortal
See Shadow, they don't reply when I catch them out.......

No reply from thingfish on my long post yet!!!!....... typical.....

My name is Stan.....and I'm a don't knower. Hello Thingfish.

It is kind of liberating to say it out loud. As an avid reader of this forum, for a long time I have often suspected that this might be the case. In fact I believe fear of having my don' knowing status confirmed kept me from joining this forum for way too long. I too have enjoyed engaging in nonsensicle babble with my fellow don't knowers.

I recently committed the Cardinal (and Myrtle) sin of posting that whilst having no serious expectations of such, that I still hope we can make the 8 this year and if we get there on the back of 8 or 9 wins from our last 11, who knows what can happen? Imagine that, a South's member dreaming of South's winning the comp. I am so ashamed of my stupidity.

Thankfully, a truth teller has pointed out that "Stan's comment in all honesty has to be the stupidest thing I've read in here for a long time!!!!!!" The shame, what was I thinking. Tail between legs I will now commence deriding our great club and players at every chance,whilst ALWAYS tipping South's every week.

Now Thingfish this is where it gets awkard. Obviously as a don't knower your post must be wrong and I should point this out to you. To complicate things further. I'm also a don't knower so even as I type this I am aware that what I'm typing is also wrong. Hopefully a truth teller can clarify the situation for us imbossiles (sic).

You said
But we are don't knowers and unless we're winning by 30 we should be depressed and bitter.
Mate we won by 28 and if I'm catching on we should still be depressed and bitter, and attacking all our dud players.

My name is Stan and I too am a proud don't knower.

What a fantastic article about a wonderful young player. Sounds like Braidon has a fantastic work ethic.I guess that explains how he has achieved so much at such a young age in spite of the numerous obstacles he has encountered along the way.

Who'd have thunk that a dud would help AR find his form.