What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
all over the news this morning although they have to partner with a FTA, BBL I guess

sad for a lot of people who cannot afford pay TV although hopefully we get some decent commentators

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Don't mind, channel nine don't deserve to have the rights.

And don't care if kerry is rolling around in his grave fat f**k that he was.

Reactions: gUt

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ridiculous decision, every sport that has gone the pay TV route in the country has gone backwards massively, Yawnion and Supercars especially.

If you aren’t on FTA you go backwards it’s as simple as that.

That said it’s a great day for people with Fox who don’t want to listen to the dribble from nine, the broadcasting had gone to shit since Ritchie took a back seat by since his passing its got downright disgraceful.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Ridiculous decision, every sport that has gone the pay TV route in the country has gone backwards massively, Yawnion and Supercars especially.

If you aren’t on FTA you go backwards it’s as simple as that.

Agreed if you mean in terms of numbers of total fans and junior participation. English cricket is another example. The flip side, in market terms, Pay TV pays so much more for the rights, that the organisations get far more cashed up than before. It is my understanding that a multi team professional domestic rugby union in NZ was not achievable without a Pay TV model. The balancing act though is to retain the fan base or grow it on Pay TV, instead of having it dwindle and end up with a product that becomes worth less over time with less fan support.

That said it’s a great day for people with Fox who don’t want to listen to the dribble from nine, the broadcasting had gone to shit since Ritchie took a back seat by since his passing its got downright disgraceful.

My understanding is that the Australian government's legislation still forces the home international matches to be broadcast free to air and live? So it is the BBL that will take the biggest hit? Someone said that it was FTA and cheap match tickets that made the BBL such a success after its weak start in the formative years, and I think there is certainly some merit to that. I guess we will see now if the BBL is so well established as to continue its success with only limited FTA games.

But Pay TV isn't cheap. And while I personally would merely purchase a sports dedicated package, in NZ, there isn't one offered. So I am stuck with a bunch of channels I rarely watch, and pay almost twice as much for them than the sports channels that I do want. I am not in a rush to go buy tickets to games after paying for all that. Pay TV in NZ buys monopolies on domestic cricket, preventing FTA coverage, and then does not even send a camera crew to film and broadcast them - it would rather show BBL games instead. And forget about getting Safrican hosted cricket games not involving NZ, even if they're playing England, India or Australia, which is a huge series for any cricket fan.

The only hope to free the consumer from Pay TV's ruthless business model, is the likes of Amazon or Netflix type streaming companies, sometimes setup by the organisations (or individual franchises) themselves, getting into sports streaming as is happening in the UK and USA in EPL and NBA and the like. The biggest hurdle is that Pay TV is well aware that live sports is the only thing keeping them in the game since Netflix and its ilk became such a success, and they will put up one heck of a battle to keep it and will not make it an easier for any rival to enter the market.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
My understanding is that the Australian government's legislation still forces the home international matches to be broadcast free to air and live? So it is the BBL that will take the biggest hit? Someone said that it was FTA and cheap match tickets that made the BBL such a success after its weak start in the formative years, and I think there is certainly some merit to that. I guess we will see now if the BBL is so well established as to continue its success with only limited FTA games.

I read somewhere last week whilst all of this was happening that it's just the test matches on the protected list - ODIs and T20Is can be onsold.

I am actually quite saddened by this news - there is a generation of kids who will grow up without the exposure to cricket that it needs to thrive and survive.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I read somewhere last week whilst all of this was happening that it's just the test matches on the protected list - ODIs and T20Is can be onsold.

I am actually quite saddened by this news - there is a generation of kids who will grow up without the exposure to cricket that it needs to thrive and survive.

I just read that too, but not from an official source. Although it explains why something is now worth 1bn dollars, as the limited overs games, especially leading upto a WC next year, and then a World T20 in Australia the year after, are going to be keen watched by Australian fans, and will force many to get subcriptions to Pay TV. The World Cup and WT20 games themselves will be sold by the ICC themselves to a FTA station I imagine.

Yes Timbo, it is sad. But cricket is an institution in Australia, kids will still be exposed to the game, far more than what is happening in NZ or England where rugby and soccer are the institutions respectively. Doubt this would have happened if Packer, Benaud and Greig were still alive.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv/cricket-australia-set-to-sign-1-billion-deal-with-foxtel-and-seven-west-media-20180412-h0yp9r

Timbo, according to the above, it is not confirmed yet whether the international limited overs matches will be behind a paywall. Perhaps Fox will buy it, try it, and see if the government intervenes, and if so, use a free to air partner.

The landmark decision from Cricket Australia to put a huge chunk of its sport behind a paywall will see limited-overs international matches, both 50 over and Twenty20 forms, taken off free-to-air television for the first time in 40 years.

International limited overs cricket involving the Australian team played locally is on the anti-siphoning list, which dictates the sports free-to-air networks have first rights to bid on it. Foxtel needed a free-to-air partner in order to do a deal, but there is a question regarding 50 over and Twenty20 international matches moving exclusively onto pay TV.

Front-Rower

First Grade
www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv/cricket-australia-set-to-sign-1-billion-deal-with-foxtel-and-seven-west-media-20180412-h0yp9r

Timbo, according to the above, it is not confirmed yet whether the international limited overs matches will be behind a paywall. Perhaps Fox will buy it, try it, and see if the government intervenes, and if so, use a free to air partner.

The loophole is that, lets say channel 7 in their contract also obtain rights to show limited overs cricket but “decide” not broadcast it, then Fox are free to do what they want with their rights.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm also just irritated that I'll have to have Fox virtually year round.

We have the streaming Fox at my place and we switch it off when the footy season ends. I really don't give a shit about all the general entertainment nonsense. But as mentioned by others in this thread, you can't just pay $25 a month for the sports channels. If you could, I'd do it gladly.

I thought international Test Matches were only covered by anti-siphoning laws?

I'm happy as while the FTA people miss out the Fox team really do deliver a good package. Their NRL coverage leaves Nine for dead. As for Seven, good on them it was about time someone else had a go. f**k Nine, they've been garbage for years, a boys club for f**kwits more interested in pumping up their own egoes than calling the cricket.

At least the proper (Test,) cricket will be shown on FTA for everyone to watch.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm also just irritated that I'll have to have Fox virtually year round.

We have the streaming Fox at my place and we switch it off when the footy season ends. I really don't give a shit about all the general entertainment nonsense. But as mentioned by others in this thread, you can't just pay $25 a month for the sports channels. If you could, I'd do it gladly.

Timbo, I was just on the foxtel website, I have to say that Foxtel is much more fair than Pay TV in NZ. In NZ, we have to buy the free channels to get the box ($55) then pay in addition for the sport we want ($30). Your AUD $39 deal looks much fairer.

I wonder if there is any way that Imight sign up for Foxtel streaming in NZ?

Front-Rower

First Grade
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00987

7 Cricket

(1) Each test match that:

(a) involves the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and

(b) is played in Australia.

(2) Each test match that:

(a) involves both:

(i) the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and

(ii) the senior English representative team; and

(b) is played in the United Kingdom.

(3) Each one day cricket match that:

(a) involves the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and

(4) Each Twenty20 cricket match that:

(5) Each match of the International Cricket Council One Day International World Cup that:

(b) is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(6) The final of the International Cricket Council One Day International World Cup if the final is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(7) Each match of the International Cricket Council World Twenty20 tournament that:

(b) is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(8) The final of the International Cricket Council World Twenty20 tournament if the final is played in Australia or New Zealand.

Timbo

Staff member
Well, that's good I guess.

I mean I'd quite honestly be surprised if Seven didn't want to show the ODIs - they're on smack bang in the middle of school holidays, and they're a vehicle to drag viewers away from the Tennis on Nine. I guess it just depends if they feel that the amount of BBL that they end up with can do the same job.

Really the only reason either network wants cricket or tennis is to set up their programming for the year ahead. They'd want to stop people watching the Tennis on Nine just as much as they want people to be watching their cricket coverage.

Timbo

Staff member
Timbo, I was just on the foxtel website, I have to say that Foxtel is much more fair than Pay TV in NZ. In NZ, we have to buy the free channels to get the box ($55) then pay in addition for the sport we want ($30). Your AUD $39 deal looks much fairer.

I wonder if there is any way that Imight sign up for Foxtel streaming in NZ?

The minimum you can pay to get sports is $44 a month with Foxtel now (streaming).

Here's the thing though, that cost has gone down in the last few years and basically as a direct result of all of the cricket and tennis being on FTA over the summer. People were cancelling subscriptions in spades over the summer because their only 'premium' content was A-League.

Now that they'll have a dedicated cricket channel, exclusive rights to premium cricket content and simulcast rights (I'm guessing ad free during play) to all matches over the summer, will that price stay there? Given that it was dropped to try to entice people to keep their subscriptions over the summer, I have to say I'm sceptical.