What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Timbo

Staff member
So if I'm reading the dates correctly;

-Seven's cricket contract starts with the next home Summer, 2018-19.

-Nine do not pick up their rights to the Tennis until 2020.

Which means next summer, Seven has the rights to the cricket and tennis - And if they're taking the bulk of the BBL, there will be a massive overlap between the two.

So if I'm reading the dates correctly;

-Seven's cricket contract starts with the next home Summer, 2018-19.

-Nine do not pick up their rights to the Tennis until 2020.

Which means next summer, Seven has the rights to the cricket and tennis - And if they're taking the bulk of the BBL, there will be a massive overlap between the two.

You’d assume they’d put the tennis on their secondary channels, if the contract allows for it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep. Australia, at home in summer behind a paywall. Absolutely disgusting by CA - trading the health and future of the game for a few pieces of silver.

We're going to be fielding the weakest XI since the 80s next summer and a good chunk of it will only be on Fox. Prepare for record low interest in cricket. Slow clap CA, slow clap.
Went for the cash instead of for the good of the game. Another short sighted decision by the clowns at CA.

I suppose they needed a quick fix after they botched the players pay deals so badly.

typicalfan

Coach
So who can come out and give these guys 12 month bans. This will cost CA more money than the ball tampering ever will.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I for one am looking forward to Warnie's female tennis commentary on 9. Shame Greigy won't be with him.

And given the Aussie open is in Melbourne, Bill can do the full tournament and tell us some gems about the local city.

JW

Coach
I have the sickest f**king feeling in my stomach that we may see the return of one James Brayshaw in a prominent position.

_snafu_

Immortal
I for one am looking forward to Warnie's female tennis commentary on 9. Shame Greigy won't be with him.

And given the Aussie open is in Melbourne, Bill can do the full tournament and tell us some gems about the local city.

I am looking forward to Bill’s comparative analysis of the pidgeons at Rod Laver Arena to those at the GGGGEEEEEE

ek999

First Grade
As a Foxtel subscriber this is great news. Hopefully it will mean there is a dedicated cricket channel. Sheffield Shield and Domestic One Day comps weren't mentioned anywhere I could see so it will be interesting to see if Fox show any of these too

Long term I don't know if moving some matches exclusively to Fox is a good thing but time will tell. Getting the rights off 9 is a great result though.

Will be interesting to see what happens in regards to commentary. Some of the 9 commentators will move to either 7 or Fox. Some, like Nicholas, will be a lot better if they aren't having to be in the matey culture they are in now. Hell even Slats has been good when commentating overseas

I only wish Fox also got simulcast rights for the tennis too

Timbo

Staff member
Would anyone honestly be surprised if Mark Nicholas was retained by 9 as a studio host for Tennis?

GongPanther

Referee
Sheffield Shield was available for everyone on the CA site. There goes another free luxury gone to pay TV.

ek999

First Grade
Fox Sports News have said that all Shield and Domestic one day matches will be broadcast on a dedicated cricket channel. I think they also mentioned the Ashes this year

Timbo

Staff member
Fox Sports News have said that all Shield and Domestic one day matches will be broadcast on a dedicated cricket channel. I think they also mentioned the Ashes this year

Well, if we get the Shield and ODD back on TV, some good has come from this dumpster fire.

I saw another report just saying the shield final, no way it can be every match. At most we’ll see a match of the round scenario.

It’s definitely only 13 of the domestic one dayers though.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The reach won’t go down apparently, more cricket than ever before. If you are willing to pay for our national pastime.

What short sighted thinking, Foxtel is the only winner from this.

ek999

First Grade
I saw another report just saying the shield final, no way it can be every match. At most we’ll see a match of the round scenario.

It’s definitely only 13 of the domestic one dayers though.

Either I heard wrong or FSN was wrong (both are likely) but you are right. All matches not broadcast on TV will be on the CA website though

Sutherland needs to be sacked after that press conference though. Never heard someone sound less confident in what he was saying

Timbo

Staff member
This is one of those decisions that they've justified to themselves in private yesterday, then announced and the backlash has made them realise what a truly f**king catastrophic move it was.

Heads need to roll for this.