What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cairns trial squad named

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Pretty scrappy game against rusty opponents but the main good sign for me was that no one looked complacent. Each player seemed to be aware that they had to earn their spot, and then keep it. I liked Reynolds involvement. Brooks did some unfortunate things. Gamble looked promising and I liked his size. Watch out, Luke.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Pretty scrappy game against rusty opponents but the main good sign for me was that no one looked complacent. Each player seemed to be aware that they had to earn their spot, and then keep it. I liked Reynolds involvement. Brooks did some unfortunate things. Gamble looked promising and I liked his size. Watch out, Luke.
I didn’t watch it but curious to know whether Gamble has much foot speed ?

Clifferd

Coach
Interesting to note Fonua and Reynolds had to stay behind while everyone else was in the sheds to do sprints. Fonua I can understand but Reynolds? did ok in his first ever stint for us

Vic Mackey

Referee
Also saw on the official forum someone at the game say Twal was walking with a noticeable limp. You’d think he’d be a certain for the 17 but after JJ tonight and if he’s got an injury he might not be.

Clifferd

Coach
I didn’t watch it but curious to know whether Gamble has much foot speed ?

His foot speed is what scored him his first try with a dummy and a step. Then he got over the advantage line and got a quick play the ball which set up the 2nd. His defence was amazing too, saw him hit pretty hard

Probably the biggest 5/8 I’ve seen, I think he could possibly be groomed into a ball playing lock. Or for now have him as a utility off the bench, similar to how jack bird is used in State of Origin

Tiger Ted

Bench
His foot speed is what scored him his first try with a dummy and a step. Then he got over the advantage line and got a quick play the ball which set up the 2nd. His defence was amazing too, saw him hit pretty hard

Probably the biggest 5/8 I’ve seen, I think he could possibly be groomed into a ball playing lock. Or for now have him as a utility off the bench, similar to how jack bird is used in State of Origin
That’s great news.Geez I hope this kid turns out to b a star for us in the NRL especially as he plays in the spine & apparently kicks goals.

Clifferd

Coach
That’s great news.Geez I hope this kid turns out to b a star for us in the NRL especially as he plays in the spine & apparently kicks goals.

I was pretty impressed, I reckon he’ll be breathing down Reynolds & Brooks neck all year based on his short little stint

Good selection headache for IC

Das Hassler

Bench
The biggest and most important positive that appears to have come out of this first trial is a near 100% validation of Cleary's depth recruitment and retention ...of course the first hitout with everyone energised but still VERY encouraging for the gruelling season ahead.....these guys won't be an easy 2 points for anyone

For a first hit out that was a good effort,the whole team seemed fitter than previous seasons and oddly handled the conditions better than the Cowboys.
Everyone seemed to be on the bus which is a good sign,still some concerns with who should be our 7&9.Brooks and MM may have first crack at those positions but it remains to be seen if they will hold onto those roles if they don’t address their weaknesses.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
For a first hit out that was a good effort,the whole team seemed fitter than previous seasons and oddly handled the conditions better than the Cowboys.
Everyone seemed to be on the bus which is a good sign,still some concerns with who should be our 7&9.Brooks and MM may have first crack at those positions but it remains to be seen if they will hold onto those roles if they don’t address their weaknesses.
I've no doubt that if Brooks doesn't perform and there is a better option, he will be dropped. Not something I would have expected in previous seasons, but how it should be.

Shredder

Juniors
Biggest surprise for me was Gamble - he didnt look out of place at all - and f**k me - hes huge.

Thomson was also a surprise - much faster than I expected him to be off the mark.

The rest played as well as I would have hoped.

Happy with that for a first outing.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I've no doubt that if Brooks doesn't perform and there is a better option, he will be dropped. Not something I would have expected in previous seasons, but how it should be.
Thankfully we r better served re depth at 7 than in recent seasons with the return of the prodigal son & addition of Gamble.

IC has assembled a robust squad & he won’t jeopardise his promising coaching future at Concord by persisting with a sub-standard nrl half like Brooks.I will b surprised if this ineffectual 7 sees out his contract with us.

Im really hoping Penrith under deliver this yr so the chances of enticing the brilliant son of IC to Concord escalates rapidly !

Crazyperpman

Juniors
With lack of replays it's hard to be sure, but was Gamble caught out a couple of times in defence?

Also, without getting too carried away I thought Marsters was outstanding. If He doesn't have at least one player behind him waiting for an offload every time he has the ball in hand they need to be shot.

Tiger05

First Grade
I also thought Masters was really good. I thought he was the pick of the outside backs. I liked the look of Fonua and Nofo as well. I think our outside backs will be really good this year.

Our halves to me are a problem but at least we have the ability to put Benji and Gamble there now. Our dummy half is also an issue.

I think Tui may have some problems at the back throughout the year but I think he can do the job well.

Clifferd

Coach
Every time Fonua ran the ball it took 3-4 guys to take him down. That’s a very useful player to have

Seems to have disciplinary issues though, seriously who the f**k back chats a referee in a trial lol?

I’d have him start the season in nsw cup just for that, so he knows bullshit won’t be tolerated.