Cameron McInnes

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by TomRedVRiver, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Wal Lee

Wal Lee Juniors

Even for a guy who only played his first full season in first grade. Granted he played a game of rep footy.

2. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

IMHO Thompson shoulda always been in the centres. He'd be quicker & tougher than the current pair

merahputih likes this.
  3. possm

possm First Grade

I am very happy with the long term extension of McInnes and I am very much looking forward to a hooker rotation of McInnes and Robson. I am also very surprised that our Club was not the first to announce this.

dragonssamy61 and Dragsters like this.
  4. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

Pros - High work rate, tough
    Cons - Needs to run more

I think the addition of Hunt will ignite the running game in McInnes. I've said elsewhere that the running game of Hunt(which is very good)was because of his combination with McCullough who would get out of dummy half and look to link with Hunt/Milford(particularly 2015). If McInnes can offer that sort of support to Hunt then there is no reason why they can't create that sort of momentum in our attack.

5. Walpole

Walpole Juniors

Good re-signing. McGregor's "game plan" and poor use of the bench this year really took a toll on McInnes. In 2016 with Souths he averaged 38.2 tackles and 6.7 runs a game for 49m, while this year it was 48.7 tackles and 4.4 runs for 31m.

As fit as he is, I imagine playing 80 minutes every week and defending in the middle left very little energy for running the ball. If we can find a way to give him a break in games, McInnes could be one of the best hookers in the game. Could Hame Sele, for instance, fill in for 5-10 minutes, then revert to the back row once McInnes returned? Just a suggestion. Unfortunately that's all in Mary's hands.

6. grouch

grouch First Grade

They must be comparing him to his predecessor

7. st.phil

st.phil Juniors

good news, very durable and...yes...classy.

Running game - not his fault. Coaches dont wont 80 min hookers gassing themselves...Lichaa at doggies same thing. One size fits all coaching.

8. SEAT 1A

SEAT 1A Juniors

Great re - signing. He's a happy camper if he feels that he's playing his best footy with us.

I presume Cameron and the club want a 80 minute hooker. I don't know if the club can call last season as a conditioning year to allow him to play for the 80 as Sivilli wasn't used however, if is was the case it's been done and we will see the results.

9. kit66

kit66 Juniors

True. Don't forget we have D.Young as assistant coach - not known for his skills at hooker - tackle, pass, tackle some more, wave to dad.......sorry.

st.phil and merahputih like this.
  10. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Juniors

This kid will only get better , Tough as teak player ......

11. Dannyboy80

Dannyboy80 Juniors

Price tried playing Thommo in the centres when he first joined the club, and it nearly led to him asking for a release to go back to Canberra, he hated playing there that much.

Great move by dragons with McInnes though, guy is still young, tough as anything, and best thing is that he improves every year of NRL he plays. Who knows how much better he can get! Also got a mention from Ben Hunt as one of the reasons he was excited to join Red V. If we can lock in a Fullback, whether it’s Dufty, Marsters, Widdop or whatever than it’s the makings of a few good years ahead.

hazzbeen and dragonssamy61 like this.
  12. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

NICHOLLS will probably be used as back up hooker by a clever coach.? Do we have one of them.

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  13. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Wal
    He would be on 400 to 450 k at tpa.
    So 500k to 550 would be about right.
    Don't forget min nrl now is $120k.

14. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Agree Lifes Good
    Re above
    Remember when McCullough first started ge didn't run as much either.
    With Robson coming though you have a running hooker.
    If McGregor let him run more and frees him up He will go better.

ALSGI, hazzbeen and Life's Good like this.
  15. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Good re-signing and I think McInnes understands the deficiencies in his game. He will work on them and having security of 9, 7 and 6 (just need to bed down a fullback) gives the team certainty ala Storm.
    As for young Robson i think he is 20 next year and does need some development time in reserve grade as he was inbetween reserves and U20's this season. According to the player profiles he is taller and heavier than McInnes so I think he will become an important key player in our top squad as a bench hooker/forward in the Havili mold. Its probably why Havili was let go.
    I can see the same rotation McInnes/Robson as the Cowboys had with Granville/Kostjaysen.

dragonssamy61 and ALSGI like this.
  16. Red V for life

Red V for life Juniors

Good signing and very happy with this. The kid gets through so much work...he’s one of those players you don’t realise how much you miss the work they do until they’re gone.

Hopefully, the game plan this year provides him with more opportunities to run and our ball security is way better so the poor [email protected] doesn’t have to tackle all day!

Also think more organisation in the halves with Hunt and pure agro up front with Graham will help.

dragonssamy61, ALSGI and hazzbeen like this.
  17. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

3 out of the 4 in the spine signed long term. Just need fullback to be signed long term. Anyone know how long Saints have Dufty locked up for?

Then again Widdop may be playing No.1, who knows after his efforts in the World Cup.

18. grouch

grouch First Grade

I liked the initial recruitment of McInnes and I like this extension. He earnt it

19. True_Believer

True_Believer Juniors

What everyone seems to forget is that McInnes acknowledged he wasn't running enough in an interview earlier in the year. He stated that Mary had given him freedom to play his own game but he had admitted to not running enough and it was a deficiency in the way he currently played (even Souths supporters said he rarely ran from DH). So it hasn't been the coach restricting him at all - I suspect he's implemented his own limitations on his game while he becomes accoustomed to the 80 minute game and the tackling machine he has become. Once he's OK with that or feels comfortable enough, he'll step up his game.

hazzbeen and dragonssamy61 like this.
  20. True_Believer

True_Believer Juniors

I believe Dufty is off contract at the end of 2018?

dragonssamy61 likes this.