What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

FlameThrower

Bench
Good move by the Club, he will only get better and I'm betting 2018 will see his game improve with Hunt & Widdop combo.

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes repays Dragons faith
Dragons Den
r0_0_3397_2038_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Cameron McInnes. Picture: Adam McLean
ST GEORGE Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes said a desire to repay the faith shown in him by the club and coach Paul McGregor was behind his decision to ink a three-year contract extension.

The deal will keep McInnes at the Dragons until the end of 2021 and comes on the back of a solid debut season with the club in which he missed just seven minutes of action.

It was a distinct change from his first three seasons in the NRL in which he played as an understudy to Isaac Luke and shared dummy-half duties with Damien Cook.

The 23-year-old said McGregor’s belief in him as an 80-minute man prompted him to commit to the club long-term.

“With Mary and Basil [Ian Millward] showing that faith in me to get me over here, I wasn’t going to leave,” McInnes said.

“I wanted to be loyal and I want to repay that faith so I’m so happy to be at the club for another three years on top of [2018].

“The new signings are going to be great for us and we have a really great culture here. I came over last preseason and the boys were so welcoming and I just love coming to training every day.

“We didn’t finish [last] season the way we wanted to but the way we played throughout the season was so addictive and I wanted to be here.

“I didn’t want to be anywhere else and, with the team we have going forward, it’s an exciting time to be a Dragons player and I’m happy to be a part of it.”

McInnes forced himself into the NSW Origin selection debate with his early-season form, something he puts down to a fresh approach under McGregor.

“Mary keeps it simple for me which I enjoy,” McInnes said.

“He just tells me to relax and play what’s in front of me when I’m in that hooker position. The simpler my focus is the better I play.

“He's been very supportive and has always had all the confidence in me which makes me confident as well.

“I don’t think Souths held me back at all, it was myself holding me back. Whether I was overthinking things I’m not sure but coming to the Dragons and getting a fresh start and a new perspective is what’s really sparked me.

“That’s why I’m so grateful to the club for giving me that opportunity to really enjoy my footy and start to reach my potential. I know I’ve still got a long way to go and a lot more good footy in me.”

Ben Hunt will arrive on a mammoth six-year deal in 2018 while skipper Gareth Widdop is also locked down for the next four seasons.

The McInnes deal will give McGregor – who himself inked a two-year extension in June – unprecedented stability in his spine, a welcome change from the contract talks that destabilised his previous two campaigns.

McInnes, who proposed to fiance Rachel at Sublime Point earlier this year, welcomed the certainty on and off the field.

“We’ve moved down to Shell Cove and we love it down here, every day’s like a holiday,” he said.

“I wanted to have this sorted before footy came around next year because I didn’t want anything taking my focus away.

“There’s a lot of key people in the club signed long-term which is good for the club because there’s that stability.

“We can all all dig in now and work hard towards a common goal and it’s great to have that collective focus.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5106885/mcinnes-repays-dragons-faith/?cs=3713

BennyV

Referee

The McInnes deal will give McGregor – who himself inked a two-year extension in June – unprecedented stability in his spine, a welcome change from the contract talks that destabilised his previous two campaigns.
Can someone let Mary know that he's already got his bullshit extension so doesn't need to keep having excuses made for him?

Drag Queen

Bench
Can someone let Mary know that he's already got his bullshit extension so doesn't need to keep having excuses made for him?
Pay him out and be rid of him. No chance JD will return to us, given that he's an almost a certainty to take over from Bennett when he retires. He has already stated he loves the freedom and wisdom that Bennett has bestowed on him. Who else would be interested in this gig? Millward is a possibility but I just can't see it.

TruSaint

Referee
Pay him out and be rid of him. No chance JD will return to us, given that he's an almost a certainty to take over from Bennett when he retires. He has already stated he loves the freedom and wisdom that Bennett has bestowed on him. Who else would be interested in this gig? Millward is a possibility but I just can't see it.

Club is in no position to pay him out.

According to most reports that is. Mary has a squad that should compete well. No more excuses. However, i doubt that we have any clause in his contract ( as was suggested re Hasler ), that should he not achieve "X" or "Y" then the contract could be terminated.

Thus Hassler suing Canterbury.

Drag Queen

Bench

According to most reports that is. Mary has a squad that should compete well. No more excuses. However, i doubt that we have any clause in his contract ( as was suggested re Hasler ), that should he not achieve "X" or "Y" then the contract could be terminated.

Surely not. No KPIs for McGregor? Maybe our club management is far dumber than I thought. Then again....

Drag Queen

Bench

We're not in as much debt as most clubs TruSaint. Given the state of coaches and their vicarious sackings, I would think we could have reason to sack said coach, albeit with a payout.

TruSaint

Referee
Surely not. No KPIs for McGregor? Maybe our club management is far dumber than I thought. Then again....

LOL, Drag i think you know what i meant. This is not just about Mary, but all coaches. I think there is a good argument that any part of a contract that would include such terms as a " finishing spot" may be deemed as unfair and subject to scrutiny under unfair dismissal laws.

EG, Politis tells the Chooks coach, " top 4 or your gone". The coach then loses 2-3 key players through no fault of his own ( injury ). They end up 7th. Should he be sacked ?

Not defending Mary, as i think the extension was premature. As it was with Price.

TruSaint

Referee
We're not in as much debt as most clubs TruSaint. Given the state of coaches and their vicarious sackings, I would think we could have reason to sack said coach, albeit with a payout.

Agree, with the caveat, as you wisely pointed out ( with a payout ).
I cant see us dong it, BUT i will say, if Mary does fail then I would support any payout, as the status quo cant continue.

TruSaint

Referee
Crush let's hope Mary proves us all wrong , he has had more chances than most . But mate I'm not holding my breathe .....

Hazza, hi mate.
I am not either, but just stating reality. We have traditionally been a club that waits for contracts to terminate. In Mary's case, the time is now. I wish him well, i am NOT confident after recent years, but also dont expect our club to change its policy.
Anyway, i wish us all a great 2018 with a top 4 finish :)

TruSaint

Referee
I think and this is nothing except my option.
If we go deep into the semis after finishing in the top 6 then he may still have the job.
But anything less is a failure.
I would hope that management is smarter than to just let him keep going.
But we will have to see.

Nailed it brother

possm

Coach

Salaries of the coaching staff do not come under the cap. Therefore, the Board could raise funds to pay out the existing contracts. It seems to me its all about looking after mates rather thant looking after the best interests of the Club.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Let's all face it your grandmother could get this team into the eight so Mr McGregor has no chance of failing assuming he shows some balls (dropping slow winger,centres with passes to the opposition etc etc ) that's a big IF .but if he stays true he just might fail.THE BIG RED V with an average coach will make the eight .with a good coach the sky's the limit.and the idea of McDonald to centre and Mann on his wing has merit ,if not Mann one of the young guns Garrick, Field. Etc etc

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
He was absolutely superb last night. Best player on the field in the first half. His passing service was impeccable, his running game was dangerous and at times essential, he even had a kick, and all on top of his usual rock solid hard-working defence. Kudos McInnes

Latest posts