What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

ouryears

Bench
I ended up frustrated with McInnes by the end of last year. Good service, great defender, but he did not put enough doubt in the oppositions' mind because he hardly ran, meaning our forwards, especially if they ran one out, were getting smashed.
Against the Broncos he was superb. He took on the line a number of times and this added to their inability to stop our roll on. Hope he keeps that style going.
He will now the coach says yes it's ok to.....it starts there

Gareth67

First Grade
Young McInnes has certainly stepped up a number of notches in 2018 . His dummy half
running is really helping the Dragons to rack up the meters and as we all saw today his stroll over the try line from close range is exactly what good hookers do well .

In saying what I have said , I would prefer waiting another year before selecting him for the heavyweight clashes that occur in Origin matches . I would hate to see him being singled-out for ' special ' attention in those games and as a result lose the gains that he has made this year and more importantly the confidence .

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Young McInnes has certainly stepped a number of notches in 2018 . His dummy half
running is really helping the Dragons tack up the meters and as we all saw today his stroll over the try line from close range is exactly what good hookers do well .

In saying what I have said , I would prefer waiting another year before selecting him for the heavyweight clashes that occur in Origin matches . I would hate to see him being singled-out for ' special ' attention in those games and as a result lose the gains that he has made this year and more importantly the confidence .

He still doesn't run enough from dummy half for my liking.

McInnes also sometimes goes the wrong way (usually the 'blind), particularly when Saints are close on the opposition's tryline,

Even thought I probably could've scored from the gap which opened up early in the second half, it demonstrated good awareness.

McInnes actually played well today. It whether he can produce good performances consistently is the big question mark.

ouryears

Bench
He still doesn't run enough from dummy half for my liking.

McInnes also sometimes goes the wrong way (usually the 'blind), particularly when Saints are close on the opposition's tryline,

Even thought I probably could've scored from the gap which opened up early in the second half, it demonstrated good awareness.

McInnes actually played well today. It whether he can produce good performances consistently is the big question mark.
I am pretty sure he is under instructions to get the ball to hunt and widdop....run sometimes yes....but mainly get the ball to the guys we pay to run our attack.

Telegraph reporting that Cam has signed a three year extension, great news!

Hooker Cameron McInnes signs new deal to stay with Dragons until the end of 2021
PAUL CRAWLEY, The Daily Telegraph

ST George Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes has declared “the top four is in reach for us” after the classy hooker secured a three-year contract extension.

In a major boost for the player pushed out of South Sydney at the end of 2016 to make way for Robbie Farah, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that McInnes has now been rewarded with a new deal that will keep him at the Dragons until the end of 2021.

The 23-year-old played all 24 games this year in what he labelled “the best year of my footy life”.

Along with playing every game of the regular season, McInnes made the most tackles of any player in the entire NRL, and emerged in the debate as Farah’s future NSW replacement.

McInnes said he now wants to take his career to the next level.

1230ed82f97f320fe6a606d64ed7510c

And despite the Dragons missing the finals this year, McInnes believes 2018 promises plenty of hope.

“I’ve only been here for 12 months but it’s been the best year of my footy life,” McInnes said. “It was a no-brainer for me and I wanted to stay for as long as I could.

“It’s going to be good moving forward knowing that I have that stability.

“This is just the beginning. I really want to work harder towards bigger and better things.

“I think the top four is in reach for us so I just need to keep playing the best footy I can.”

It also means the Dragons now have three parts of their all-important spine locked up long term.

Skipper Gareth Widdop is also contracted until the end of 2021 while new recruit Ben Hunt is signed until the end of 2022.

“Cameron had an outstanding season in 2017,” St George Illawarra recruitment boss Ian Millward said.

“A lot of people don’t see what he does away from the playing field. He’s one of our best trainers and a future leader of our club.

“2017 was his first full season in the top grade, playing 80 minutes every week too, and he’s acknowledged there are areas of his game that he wants to continue to improve.

“With Cameron at hooker, and Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop in the halves, we’re in a position now where we are very settled with world class players.”
One of the key reasons we are closing out games this year.
Has taken his game to another level.

I am pretty sure he is under instructions to get the ball to hunt and widdop....run sometimes yes....but mainly get the ball to the guys we pay to run our attack.
It's his running game that is doing a lot of damage.
Getting the ball to the halves can be predictable if it happens robotically like last year but this year, the fact that he can choose when to run the ball keeps the defensive line guessing and makes the halves more unpredictable as a result.