What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Young McInnes has certainly stepped up a number of notches in 2018 . His dummy half
running is really helping the Dragons tack up the meters and as we all saw today his stroll over the try line from close range is exactly what good hookers do well .

In saying what I have said , I would prefer waiting another year before selecting him for the heavyweight clashes that occur in Origin matches . I would hate to see him being singled-out for ' special ' attention in those games and as a result lose the gains that he has made this year and more importantly the confidence .

Agree gareth
But Freddy love him.
I think both he and cook will be picked for soo.
We will lose a few and also the test match.
But it will be good to see lomax and robson ect get a run

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree gareth
But Freddy love him.

Just hope that Freddy selections do not leave the Dragons in a similar mess that we found ourselves in 2011 as was the case with Ricky Stuart . In fact as a coach I have never been impressed with him and at the moment he is choosing players like a little boy in a lolly shop with no concern for the tummy-ache that is bound to follow afterwards .

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
He had an excellent game, and has been consistently very good all year. There are some amazing performances by hookers this year - Cook, Luke especially and less consistently Smith and Api too. And he’s right there with them at the top.
I have to give credit to the coaching and conditioning team too - it’s very likely that without making him grind out all those 80 minute games last year, which seemed like a bad choice then, he wouldn’t be as capable of this level of play for full games this year.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: McInnes and Cook set for NSW Origin hooking duel
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3848_2565_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BLUE EYED: NSW Origin hopefuls Jack de Belin and Cameron McInnes in the thick of it at Dragons training. Picture: Adam McLean.

WHEN you're honing in on a maiden NSW jumper, a showdown with the best No. 9 to ever do it is a welcome test. A head-to-to battle with your biggest rival for said jumper a week later? Even better.

That's the path laid out for Dragons rake Cameron McInnes who will take on Blues hooking rival Damien Cook this week, fresh off a points decision win over Maroons skipper Cameron Smith on Sunday.

The fact he'll also be up against his former club and former teammate Cook adds more juice to the narrative, at least for media types if not for McInnes himself.

“Cooky's playing well and doing a good job for them but my job as the hooker for my team is to get the boys going forward,” McInnes said.

“It's not a one-on-one battle or anything like that. As much as people may try to make it that way, it's not how the game works. At the end of the day what I do isn't affected by the opposition

“He's playing well and that's good for him. I've played Souths that many times now through Charity Shield and things like that it's just another game in all honesty.

“I've got good mates over there obviously but I've got good mates at the Warriors, the Tigers, everywhere now. This is my home here at the Dragons and I'm just going to go out there and try and do my best for the boys.”

Cook and McInnes shared the Rabbitohs hooking role throughout the 2016 season before the latter shifted to the Dragons and turned himself into an 80-minute ironman.

The 24-year-old, who signed a three-year contract extension prior to round one, puts the transformation down to the faith of coach Paul McGregor.

“I came with a point to prove to myself in that I knew I was a better player than what I was putting out there week to week,” McInnes said.

"That's a frustrating thing as a footballer. You can't control everything that happens but, if you're not playing to your potential, that's the frustrating part.

“I still don't think I'm at my potential yet. I'm getting better and I'm being more consistent. That's the most pleasing thing, but it all comes back to the faith Mary's shown in me.”

That departure also opened the door for Cook to establish himself as the most dynamic running hooker in the game. Those differing, respective attributes pose the dummy-half selection conundrum for NSW coach Brad Fittler.

The word is McInnes has his nose in front but he said he's had no trouble blocking out the rampant talk of Origin selection that's accompanied his side's flying start to the year.

“I can ignore it because I don't read papers or anything like that so the only time I hear it is when [the media] mention it,” he said.

“In all honesty, and it's the truth, I just want to keep playing well for the Dragons. The crowd we had out there [on Sunday] comes off the back of us playing as a team and for each other.

“If individual rewards come later, obviously I'll be happy, but I just want to keep this going because what we're creating is unbelievable and I want to be a part of it.”

It's understandable that Origin talk has been the furthest thing from his mind this week after his partner Rachel gave birth to son Talanoa the day after the Dragons Anzac Day win over the Roosters.

It prompted a mad dash from Allianz Stadium back to Wollongong.

“The induction process started on Anzac Day but the hospital told me he probably wouldn't come til Thursday but I just wanted to be there,” he said.

“After the game I left and went straight there and he ended up coming at 7.30 Thursday night so it was a long day but worth every minute.

“I didn't sleep but I was high off the win after the game and looking forward to meeting him.

"He's been a good little boy so far and it's great to go home to him. It makes you smile and it puts things in perspective.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5384214/mcinnes-and-cook-set-for-nsw-hooking-duel/?cs=3713

isaiah

Bench
Agree gareth
But Freddy love him.
Cannot shoehorn both into the blues 17. One would be wasted and waste a bench position like Chris Goulding wasting a bench spot and getting no game time for the boomers at the 2016 Olympics. Cost us our first men's basketball medal, imo

Bench
After the last game Cook needed to shut down quickly.
That did not happen. He will be SOO hooker

Dragons 09

Juniors
Cook would appear to me to be more versatile than Cam and is a bit more explosive when fresh which in my opinion makes him the perfect utility bench man. Still think Cam gets the starting gig.