What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in the West for 10 more years?

Goldthorpe

Bench
The fact they were short on Juniors is a reason Albert, but what was the cause of this?

The only reason I ask is because both Rockingham and Joondalup are experiencing an increase in junior player numbers - because they are in growth areas AND they are run well.

Armadale is in a growth area as well, so by rights they should be close to replicating what the other two clubs are doing.

Pries Park was ok to play on. Possibly Willagee have taken on a few Armadale Juniors rather than the Bulldogs.

It might take a huge effort, but RL needs to be re-established properly in the Eastern Suburbs growth areas. The Rabbitohs (especially now that Souths are committing to Perth) should make a come back.
The cause of this was because the WARL development officers didn’t do their job properly in the South Eastern Suburbs areas. While I was at Armadale [3 or 4 years ago] we asked what schools did the WARL go to develop Rugby League in that area and they couldn’t produce an answer.

It would have been handy if we had a WARL employee at Armadale but the increase in junior players particularly in Rockingham was because Kim Williams [ex-development officer] and Dale Christie [development officer] were a part of the Rockingham club. Now that’s a positive for the Sharks but a real negative on the other clubs.

The growth in the Armadale area is massive, probably the biggest in the metro city. It would be a massive job to get the Armadale Rabbitohs back on its feet, I know a few people that would love to give it a shot but if the WARL won’t support them like they did in the past what’s the point?

albert

Juniors
Smithtown
I was with Armadale till the death.Not through lack of trying did we try and keep the club open but in the end it was much to hard. Hence the merge with Eastern Districts.

1.Junior base dropped off.
2.Lack of Help.
3.No Seniors.
We all know senior players do not that often stay dedicated to one club(for obvious reasons $$$)

We had support from the South Sydney supporters club W.A.(Simply because we were Red and Green) they used to come and watch our first grade games.So if by any chance anybody is willing to revive this club I would be there with bells on.

As for the new Morley club I believe that the Kalgoorlie ladies will run out for them if the club goes ahead.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
The cause of this was because the WARL development officers didn’t do their job properly in the South Eastern Suburbs areas. While I was at Armadale [3 or 4 years ago] we asked what schools did the WARL go to develop Rugby League in that area and they couldn’t produce an answer.

It would have been handy if we had a WARL employee at Armadale but the increase in junior players particularly in Rockingham was because Kim Williams [ex-development officer] and Dale Christie [development officer] were a part of the Rockingham club. Now that’s a positive for the Sharks but a real negative on the other clubs.

Joondalup has proven you dont have to a development officer to have successful juniors, we havent had a development officer for the past 2/3? seasons and have had huge growth in junior numbers.

I'd love to see an armadale side back in the comp. However this isnt going to happen on its own a group of people need to step up and get the ball rolling, with some assistance from the WARL ofcourse.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I didn't hear anything about Kal not being in and I live here!! But I am not involved with the club. Very sad John Church can't continue after giving Rob Hunt sh*t all season! I guess the kiwis will end up turning to friggin union again!

Smithtown

Coach
This is to Albert and Goldthorpe

It needs time, passion and committment to get a Club re-going like it would the Armadale Rabbitohs. You guys seem to have the passion.

You can't afford to look elsewhere for help, nor can you blame others for what has transpired. There is a job to do for Rugby League out at Armadale, and someone needs to do it. I can't see why it shouldn't start right now.

Start with a newspaper add, then a meeting - see what that throws up. Start small with maybe say and U7 and an U9 side in the first year, and try and add a team a year.

Done right, you'll have a fully functioning Junior Club in about 3-5 years - if the demographics that you say are there respond. No doubt each and every minute will be hard work, but the end result will be even more rewarding because of it.

As Joondalup Giant says, the WARL Development Officer assigned to the Giants hasn't been to that Club in at least 3 years - I think he may break out in hives if he drives past Hepburn Ave.

You don't need the WARL to be successful - you just need your own passion, drive and committment.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Joondalup has proven you dont have to a development officer to have successful juniors, we havent had a development officer for the past 2/3? seasons and have had huge growth in junior numbers.
I know that you don't measure junior success on Grand Final wins but Joondalup only had one junior team in the Grand Final [Under 11's] this past season and lost compared to Rockingham who were in 4 [Girls League Tag, Under 11's, Under 13.5's and Under 15's] and won 3. Plus all 3 Senior teams were in the Senior Grand Finals. The development of the Sharks have been excellent in the past 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

Smithtown

Coach
There are many ways to measure the success of Junior Clubs, with participation, retention and sponsorship being most important.

Joondalup have increased teams from 9 to 12, increased participation from 120 to 160 players, moved from 4th to 2nd on the Junior Club Championship, and increased semi finals appearances from 2 teams to 5 teams in 2008.

Rockingham are the yardstick, and set the junior pace. But they have had a few years head start - through their own good planning and development - and the participation rates and junior numbers are now in excess of 210. That is phenomenal, not to mention their 4 year streak as Junior Club Champions. Their success is very much deserved.

But one of the most succesful Junior Clubs last year was Fremantle. No Grand Final appearances, but an increase of 400% on Junior teams (1 to 4) and players.

They should be congratulated for this, and they are a model for Armadale to follow - starting small and building slowly and surely.

Last edited:

Goldthorpe

Bench
Armadale would still be around if the WARL let them play as a Reserve Grade in 2006 [?] in Kalgoorlie's first season in First Grade.

It would have been ideal. Kalgoorlie could have used Pries Park as their Perth based club house.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Not happening, the WARL wont support a team in that are while Eastern are still re-building, which i think is fair enough.

albert

Juniors
I ran into a guy I know and was working down Bunbury and said he saw flyers advertising for players to play in the local WARL comp as a new club. Has anybody else heard anything?Would be great if they could get a team in the comp,being that is only about an hour and half drive(depending where you live).Still don't know if Kal is going to run around in 09.

Nuke

Staff member
They tried to put a Peel team in the Premier-Grade comp for this season just gone, but for whatever reason, it didn't quite happen.

I haven't heard anything about it since ... until now I mean.

Latest posts