What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Sydney Roosters win a Grand Final with their current roster?

mozza91

Coach
He did very little in 2010 iirc. I remember it was Carney who got you back into the game against the Tigers and Anasta also has a good Finals series. The only time I've seen Pearce play really well in a Finals was against us in the 2013 Preliminary Final.

horrie hastings

First Grade
He did very little in 2010 iirc. I remember it was Carney who got you back into the game against the Tigers and Anasta also has a good Finals series. The only time I've seen Pearce play really well in a Finals was against us in the 2013 Preliminary Final.

Against the Tigers you are right about Carney and Anasta getting the Roosters back in the game, Pearce did score the try to get them back within a point but it was Carney's good work that put him through. Pearce did play a blinder in the semi against Penrith in 2010 though.

Life's Good

Coach
It's probably been mentioned but this shouldn't be just about Pearce though(and I have been up there with his critics in agreement). JWH, Fergo & a few others were shown up vs. the Cowboys. You can add Napa in as well because for the wraps he gets for the odd good game there are plenty of games where he goes missing. Sure they finished second but the Roosters fans will concede(I'm sure they have)that they were terribly inconsistent. That is down to more than one player.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Napa is insanely over rated. He puts a good hit on every few games and the commentators go mental over it. With ball in hand though he has zero impact.

Valheru

Coach

Carney basically got us to the GF on his own in 2010, no doubt about that.

Ill take your word on the 2013 prelim. That was a complete performance by most of the team TBH.

Pearce was by far our best in losing efforts to Penrith and souths in 2014.

Valheru

Coach
It's probably been mentioned but this shouldn't be just about Pearce though(and I have been up there with his critics in agreement). JWH, Fergo & a few others were shown up vs. the Cowboys. You can add Napa in as well because for the wraps he gets for the odd good game there are plenty of games where he goes missing. Sure they finished second but the Roosters fans will concede(I'm sure they have)that they were terribly inconsistent. That is down to more than one player.

Very well said.

We weren't a typical 2nd placed team this year, more like 6th place. We just fell in to 2nd due to a combination of other teams shitting the bed and our talent shining through for 10 minute periods when the game was on the line.

We were terribly inconsistent within games due to clocking off and stupid errors and to blame Pearce solely for that is ridiculous. His 2nd half of the season wasn't up to standard but he was clutch in the first half being directly responsible for a few wins.

big hit!

Bench
Very well said.

We weren't a typical 2nd placed team this year, more like 6th place. We just fell in to 2nd due to a combination of other teams shitting the bed and our talent shining through for 10 minute periods when the game was on the line.

We were terribly inconsistent within games due to clocking off and stupid errors and to blame Pearce solely for that is ridiculous. His 2nd half of the season wasn't up to standard but he was clutch in the first half being directly responsible for a few wins.

early season form is a shit barometer, IMO. folks and teams are ebbing and flowing with their peaks. you can't be at 10 from early march to late september. impossible for most.

when teams and the cream starting rising, pearce began to struggle.

i loathe the pearce criticism (and BS that comes with it) as much as a roosters supporter (im a souths man), but he faded as the season went on when he needed to stand up and shut up all doubters.

Reactions: OVP

Valheru

Coach
i loathe the pearce criticism (and BS that comes with it) as much as a roosters supporter (im a souths man), but he faded as the season went on when he needed to stand up and shut up all doubters.

I agree in the case of this year.

However that was not the case in any of the last 4 years.

adamkungl

Immortal
Pearce has been flat since Origin 2. Not poor, but kind of going through the motions. The offseason will do him a world of good.
Suggestions that the Roosters will offload him in the next 12 months are laughably delusional.

Generalzod

Immortal
Just wondering who the hell is Mitchell Pearce??? Seriously he is like David Copperart he just seems disappear during the game....

;..

aqua_duck

Coach
The problem is they have too many hot and cold players and they have a real issue with momentum swings, when they concede one try it seems like they have trouble turning the tide and just put their heads down

H.H

Juniors
I'd agree with that. As a supporter it's incredibly frustrating, but jeez we finished 15th last year so I'd have taken a prelim had it been offered at the start of the year. I reckon we'll be in there swinging next year.

As for the Pearce stuff, it's so ridiculous I rarely weigh in on it as it's pointless. His 2013 GF was ALOT better than most think. I've watched that game over 10 times and when you do that you start to really notice stuff. His performance that day was extremely underrated.

Latest posts