What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Sydney Roosters win the Grand Final again this year?

Maximus

Coach
If we aren't contenders then who are?

The Sea Eagles just got beat by 50. The Broncos will struggle to make the top 4 now and looked poor on Friday. The Eels were impressive but we beat them by 40 two months ago and they're missing their first choice FB and hooker. The Cowboys won't win it without JT and Scott.

So who does that leave as a form line? The Sharks but it's hard to go b2b.

Are you saying that only the Storm can win it? Just curious as to who you think are more serious contenders than the Roosters given we're a hugely impressive 14-5.

Did the Roosters not get beaten 44-12 with an almost full strength team? How is that any different to Manly losing by 30?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Did the Roosters not get beaten 44-12 with an almost full strength team? How is that any different to Manly losing by 30?
Fair point, though we were missing SST and Cordner - our two best forwards.

Manly were missing players too but the Sharks are slightly better than the Dragons.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I'm seriously wondering if any team is going to stop Melbourne.

I think for the Storm to lose you need a ref who is not afraid to penalise and penalise them all game for their deliberate, cynical but very effective tactics in defence (off side, holding down, hand in the play the ball etc)

On top of this that team needs to be on.and Melbourne need to be having a bad day at the office. Finally, they need to be in front all the way. Melbourne are amazing front runners.

Im summary a lot needs to go wrong for Melbourne on the day. By far the best tean this year. But hey they were last year as well.

The last thing rugby league needs is back to back GF wins by that animal pack Cronulla, led by Chief NRL thug Paul Gallen. Everyone should be praying for a good clean GF between the clinical Melbourne Storm and the dazzling Sydney Roosters. Luke Keary, Latrell Mitchell or S.S. Taukeiaho for the Clive Churchill!

King hit

Coach
The last thing rugby league needs is back to back GF wins by that animal pack Cronulla, led by Chief NRL thug Paul Gallen. Everyone should be praying for a good clean GF between the clinical Melbourne Storm and the dazzling Sydney Roosters. Luke Keary, Latrell Mitchell or S.S. Taukeiaho for the Clive Churchill!

IMG_4319.JPG

OldPanther

Coach

Clean GF with Tetevano in the team? A bit ironic.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3109527/zane-tetevano-jailed-for-bashing-former-girlfriend/

Magistrate Ian Cheetham detailed the attacks, including instances of grabbing the victim’s singlet around her neck and throwing her across a room, punching, kicking and verbal abuse.

Tetevano smashed the victim’s phone, damaged her car and smashed other objects.

On at least two occasions she locked herself in a room to keep a drunken Tetevano at bay.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Clean GF with Tetevano in the team? A bit ironic.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3109527/zane-tetevano-jailed-for-bashing-former-girlfriend/

Magistrate Ian Cheetham detailed the attacks, including instances of grabbing the victim’s singlet around her neck and throwing her across a room, punching, kicking and verbal abuse.

Tetevano smashed the victim’s phone, damaged her car and smashed other objects.

On at least two occasions she locked herself in a room to keep a drunken Tetevano at bay.

Tetevano only hits girls. He will never put dirt in on the footy field. Too scared.

MKCS

Juniors
I was very impressed by the Melbourne Storm yesterday. Manly didn't even play particularly bad they just were beaten senseless by Melbourne and cop a 34 point loss. Didn't even seem like Melbourne were struggling.

Admittedly I might be biased but I think the grand final this year will be Melbourne Vs Roosters. A full Melbourne team at their best vs a full Roosters team at their best would be a great sight to see. Who would win? I think the backlines are pretty equal, Melbourne have the better halves and spine but Roosters have better forwards.

We'll have a better idea at the end of this round. If Roosters smash Manly like Melbourne did then maybe they can knock Melbourne off. If it's back and forth with Manly (Like I think it will be) with the Roosters winning by six it'd show that Melbourne are head and shoulders above everyone else.

Amin Yashed

Juniors
I was very impressed by the Melbourne Storm yesterday. Manly didn't even play particularly bad they just were beaten senseless by Melbourne and cop a 34 point loss. Didn't even seem like Melbourne were struggling.

Admittedly I might be biased but I think the grand final this year will be Melbourne Vs Roosters. A full Melbourne team at their best vs a full Roosters team at their best would be a great sight to see. Who would win? I think the backlines are pretty equal, Melbourne have the better halves and spine but Roosters have better forwards.

We'll have a better idea at the end of this round. If Roosters smash Manly like Melbourne did then maybe they can knock Melbourne off. If it's back and forth with Manly (Like I think it will be) with the Roosters winning by six it'd show that Melbourne are head and shoulders above everyone else.
No

Clifferd

Coach
They'vechanged how they play and added more expansive attack this year.

I was leaning more towards their suffocating/wrestling tactics. Any top tier team that plays Melbourne seems to brush off on them aswell, especially in a finals game where you tend to not throw the ball around a lot / go for the risky play

Basically when it comes to the finals if you out dirty / out wrestle them you win

adamkungl

Immortal
Can't see a GF with Melbourne storm in it being exciting sorry

2016 GF was the most exciting in a decade, if I exclude 2013 due to my own bias.
Oddly enough I thought 2006 was a cracker too, unfortunately marred by one of the worst refereeing performances I can remember then the revelations that Melbourne were cheating anyway.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I thought 2015 was more exciting than 2016 but just my personal opinion.

I find the Storm hard to watch. Definitely playing more expansive attacking footy don't get me wrong. But their negative tactics annoy the shit out of me.

Anyway it is winning games so good luck to them.

Generalzod

Immortal
2015 Was ok but it was a mistake athon by the Broncos, it was only the last 5 mins that really made that game memorable, 2016 was one of the fastest and toughest grand finals hardly no mistakes by both teams completion rates for both teams where high...As for the crowd it was so one sided it was a great atmosphere....

Clifferd

Coach
Actually yeah 2016 was pretty good for a defensive GF. A lot of historic moments, tough defense and crucial moments.

Looks like players would've been physically hurting for days on after

adamkungl

Immortal
2015 had an outstanding ending more than an overall good game. Most of the 2nd half was fairly pedestrian.
Credit for at least being close though, unlike most GFs since 2007.
That said the ending in itself places it deservedly high in the rankings.

2016 was pure tension start to finish, I loved it. The try off the scrum play, the Fifita try, and the 100% certainty that Cronulla would bottle it at the end and then they somehow didn't. Unforgettable stuff.

adamkungl

Immortal
I thought 2013 was a high quality game.
Lots of tries, big momentum swings, and a close contest.

Neutrals probably hated it due to the teams involved regardless.

RockWheel

Bench
Grand finals are more about memorable moments and the wider narrative. The only people who are going to say, "Actually, the second half of the 2015 was dour and stodgy" are us rugby league nerds. Most people are just going to remember the highlight moments. Rugby league are meant to be watched once and whatever sticks in the (collective) memory is going to define whether or not games are classics or whatever.

Latest posts