What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we learn something from super rugby?

RoosTah

Juniors
A good 1/4 of nrl clubs get nrl bail outs and they are at times considered great succeses see st george...

Imo its good for rugby league to get the added exposure from another brisbane side and a perth side

Perth is a bit of a tricky one at the moment; with the economy over there tanking a bit, it's probably not the best time to go in there for the NRL in many ways, but by the same token there's never a perfect time and it's a city of 2 million people where the NRL has no presence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth is a bit of a tricky one at the moment; with the economy over there tanking a bit, it's probably not the best time to go in there for the NRL in many ways, but by the same token there's never a perfect time and it's a city of 2 million people where the NRL has no presence.

WA Economy has certainly dropped off but it is probably a more realistic environment now than 4 years ago when the place was booming and money was flowing all over the place. If you can build a sustainable club in a time of austerity then the boom times, which will happen again here at some point, are a bonus. I'd rather we set up now when money is tight than when everyone is flush and we have an artificial comfort which can go belly up if times get tough.

Perth population continues to climb and will be over 3 million in a few years time, NRL would be insane not to have a permenant presence here. Probably the biggest threat to waiting is the new AFL stadium in 2018. With its new capacity the AFL clubs are going to go hard at recruiting new members and fans and then the room for RL will continue to be squeezed and make any new club even harder to establish. Sadly we have missed the boat and unlikely to see any Perth team in the next decade.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Good article here about what we should be learning from Super Rugby..

As if these idiots can teach the NRL anything about running a sport....

Force are going well hey Red? Rumour has it they might be moving to Parramatta?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/03/23/brumbies-torn-apart/

Brumbies torn apart while the rugby world watches

There’s a lot of turmoil happening in Australian rugby.” You don’t say, Mr Jones?

Those were the words of Michael Jones, the CEO (maybe still the CEO, maybe not) of the Brumbies to Tim Gavel on ABC Grandstand last Saturday.

The rest of that particular quote ran out like this: “I’m not exactly sure where all that is going to end, but rest assured that we are all trying very hard to make sure the off field stuff matches the on field.”

Unfortunately where we are now is a live look in at a dumpster fire; a Super Rugby club being torn apart by internal and external pressures.
I’d encourage everyone to listen to the interview in full if you haven’t already. That 20 minutes in a Canberra studio flipped the lid on a whole lot sparked a fuse that will run until… well, we don’t know when.
from sections of the Canberra and rugby community. If think it is fair to say Jones made direct links between those “rumours” and the referral to the Australian Federal Police information about the sale of the old Brumbies HQ at Griffith and defamation action initiated through a December 2015 letter to Jones by the University of Canberra vice-chancellor.
“There’s a lot of people out there that are obviously nervous and uncomfortable and that’s their problem… they feel that potentially that throwing mud at me is their best offence.”
Before we dig into the meat of this particular situation, it’s helpful to put this all into a broader context, as Jones himself did during the interview.
I’ve already said this twice this year: rugby turmoil was buried by a strong Super Rugby performance and Wallabies world cup result in 2015. However, the problems haven’t been solved.
It was a distraction. “Look over there – the Wallabies are in a world cup final!”
2016 has rolled around and suddenly we’re looking at Australian rugby without the lustre of a world cup to divert our attention. What we see isn’t pretty.

Clubs are fighting each other and the ARU. It’s been suggested that the Western Force should be closed. The ARU had to give $800,000 to the Force. Queensland Rugby Union posted a big loss. The Waratahs and Reds CEOs just jumped ship. The ARU asked an external firm to take a look at the books of all Super Rugby clubs.

That’s a bleak list.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sharks, dragons, Titans, Tigers, Knights. Glass houses and all that. Seems Like many professional clubs in Australia struggle to be run as successful businesses,

BuffaloRules

Coach
Sharks, dragons, Titans, Tigers, Knights. Glass houses and all that. Seems Like many professional clubs in Australia struggle to be run as successful businesses,

Yep, and don't forget your beloved AFL and what they pump into the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, GWS, St Kilda, Swans, Lions, Suns ( did I forget anyone??)

I think its a concern for any future NRL expansion in Perth watching the struggles of the Force for years now...

If they cant make it with all those South Africans and Poms over there, what chance will the NRL have especially with those one eyed flogs in the media over there never giving them a mention...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep, and don't forget your beloved AFL and what they pump into the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, GWS, St Kilda, Swans, Lions, Suns ( did I forget anyone??)

I think its a concern for any future NRL expansion in Perth watching the struggles of the Force for years now...

If they cant make it with all those South Africans and Poms over there, what chance will the NRL have especially with those one eyed flogs in the media over there never giving them a mention...

The Force don't have the financial backing that an NRL club would have, and are notoriously badly run.

If the Brumbies are the ARU equivalent of Manly then the Force and Rebels are the equivalents of the Knights and Titans.

I have no doubt that with good management and the NRLs' help that an NRL team could survive in either Perth or Adelaide, provided that they lived within their means. They wouldn't necessarily be among the biggest clubs or most successful clubs (on or off the field) and they definitely wouldn't have the biggest crowds or largest amounts of members but they'd get by, and that is more then you can say for most of the current clubs in any of the codes.

Then again most of the clubs in all the codes competitions don't have good management that lives within it's means.

taipan

Referee

Correct.
And Force needing ARU finance to prop it up,Rebels were losing money hand over foot until privatised,Brumbies the top S15 franchise having financial issues and internal friction with CEO suspended,the Tahs making a small profit after getting into the semis(crowds down)<Reds losing money in another supposedly strong franchise.

A league franchises struggling,Jets,CC,Phoenix,Melb City.

AFL Lions continually losing money,Suns and GWS need millions to keep them afloat.Some Melbourne clubs struggling and others needing poker machine revenue to keep them fluid.

Yep it's only NRL clubs who have problems in management,:D

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who said its only NRL clubs? I clearly said many professional sports clubs in Australia. Every code is having problems with some clubs. The Force are just the latest in a long line across numerous codes.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who said its only NRL clubs? I clearly said many professional sports clubs in Australia. Every code is having problems with some clubs. The Force are just the latest in a long line across numerous codes.

Its surprising to me that the Force are having problems establishing a base in Perth given the advantage they have over League with large Kiwi, Sth African and English expat base...

Im sure that the problems the Force are having is proving to be a factor with the NRL's reluctance to bite the bullet and fund another team there indefinitely...

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
If the Brumbies are the ARU equivalent of Manly then the Force and Rebels are the equivalents of the Knights and Titans.

I see the difference being that each week hundreds of thousands more people watch the Knights, Manly and Titans on TV ( Pay and FTA) compared with the Force or Rebels...

taipan

Referee

You were quite happy to spell out the NRL clubs involved fair enough.All I did was spell out clubs from other codes, which you did not avail yourself of that opportunity.I like to get all the facts out in the open.

Emphasising the fact that teams in non heartland areas such as Perth are no guarantees of success,as the force has shown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
there is no such thing as guarantee of success lol. It comes from good planning, wise investment, good strategy, right decisions at right times and getting the best people in the right place. The sports world is littered with failures with huge potential.

Western Force are very much like the Titans in many ways. Great potential, right decision to start a club in that area, started extremely strongly, years of poor management and poor player performance crumbled the support and profile of the clubs and they are both now reaping that poor management. Havign said that Force are still healthier than a number of NRL clubs despite the advantages those NRL clubs have.

Would a Perth NRL club be any different? I couldn't possibly say, I guess what we were hoping is that the NRL would do a proper scoping of the potential and business case for a Perth team. If it fell short so be it, find out the problems and have a strategy for longer term plan to get the place ready for an NRL team. instead the NRL has pished its money up the wall, now running at a deficit, is having to bail out existing clubs and we are still none the wiser if Perth is a legitimate option for a future NRL team.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Western Force are very much like the Titans in many ways. Great potential, right decision to start a club in that area, started extremely strongly, years of poor management and poor player performance crumbled the support and profile of the clubs and they are both now reaping that poor management. Havign said that Force are still healthier than a number of NRL clubs despite the advantages those NRL clubs have.

What are you basing this on?

Who would be the top 5 paid players for the Force compared to any NRL team?

Salary cap comparison of the two teams?

Coaches salary?

A typical misinformed comment from you..

The Force can't even be compared to the Central Coast Mariners let alone an NRL team..

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
there is no such thing as guarantee of success lol. It comes from good planning, wise investment, good strategy, right decisions at right times and getting the best people in the right place. The sports world is littered with failures with huge potential.

Would a Perth NRL club be any different? I couldn't possibly say, I guess what we were hoping is that the NRL would do a proper scoping of the potential and business case for a Perth team. If it fell short so be it, find out the problems and have a strategy for longer term plan to get the place ready for an NRL team. instead the NRL has pished its money up the wall, now running at a deficit, is having to bail out existing clubs and we are still none the wiser if Perth is a legitimate option for a future NRL team.

Showing once again, getting ones house in order,ensuring all current Nrl clubs are financially OK is the first order of business.Before any decision on expansion is made.
The Titans now have the management team in place, a new headquarters,large junior base, rl purpose stadium,decent head sponsor.
The titans are competitive ,the Force?????

The Force don't have the juniors that the suggested NRL clubs do,they will not have the grants provided by the ARU that the NRL will ,the Force are in non heartland whereas the NRL clubs are.
There is talk round the traps of relocating the Force,no such talk with the so called weak NRL clubs.
Go figure.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hurricanes V Force got 52k on Fox last week.

Happy to compare that number to all the NRL teams going worse..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
To answer the question, Dally M did the right thing..we can learn that paying players is a good thing. Amateurs can play a game where the whistles blows every three minutes, games are determined by kicks, then go against everything they stand for and start paying players.

Kickby, shyte people, shyte players, shyte game.

So no, elbow patch wankers of the highest order.

Kick the ball, England won a world cup doing poor mans soccer

Knownothing

Juniors
To answer the question, Dally M did the right thing..we can learn that paying players is a good thing. Amateurs can play a game where the whistles blows every three minutes, games are determined by kicks, then go against everything they stand for and start paying players.

Kickby, shyte people, shyte players, shyte game.

So no, elbow patch wankers of the highest order.

Kick the ball, England won a world cup doing poor mans soccer

Well reasoned and factual posts like this are what make my day.