What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canada & Japan

Alan Shore

First Grade
What has happened to them now? It's been a good eight years plus since I ever heard anything of RL there. Their website doesn't even work anymore.

Also, with regards to Japan, does anyone have any news? I was reading there website, but since my Japanese is limited, I could only decode something about the Emerging World Nations Championships or something.

bazza

Referee
Japan played the US earlier this year.

Also around the same time, the winners of the Japanese competition played last years winners of the AMNRL - the NY Knights.

A Japanese team also played in the World 7s qualifying tournament earlier in the year.

Alan Shore

First Grade
bazza said:
Japan played the US earlier this year.

Also around the same time, the winners of the Japanese competition played last years winners of the AMNRL - the NY Knights.

A Japanese team also played in the World 7s qualifying tournament earlier in the year.

I know that. I was looking for Japanese competition news though.

There was talk about five years ago about setting up a semi-pro competition from scratch featuring sides from Ontario, Canada and some from down NY way.

As far as I know the plans fell through as there wasn't any cash - apparently there isn't any rugby league played in Canada at the moment.

GEM

Juniors
The JRL are in the process of advertising for current oversea's Rugby League Players to play and develop Rugby League in Japan.

They are currently negotiating with verious companies to employ players in-which they could earn upto A$1000.00 PW teaching english language with most jobs having accommodation.

There are conditions for emploment but players must have a RL back round and are a current RL player.

For players that are interested, they should contact Mark Brady at info@rugbyleaguereview.com and he will forward it to the JRL.

What an oppotunity for unwanted NRL and SL ex-pro's although they do ask for amateur players as-well.

This will boost the game in Japan big-time, well done to the JRL.

Alan Shore

First Grade
GEM said:
The JRL are in the process of advertising for current oversea's Rugby League Players to play and develop Rugby League in Japan.

They are currently negotiating with verious companies to employ players in-which they could earn upto A$1000.00 PW teaching english language with most jobs having accommodation.

There are conditions for emploment but players must have a RL back round and are a current RL player.

For players that are interested, they should contact Mark Brady at info@rugbyleaguereview.com and he will forward it to the JRL.

What an oppotunity for unwanted NRL and SL ex-pro's although they do ask for amateur players as-well.

This will boost the game in Japan big-time, well done to the JRL.

That's a great idea. I was hoping there would be somewhere that I could get regular JRL news from.

Would be an easy way to do it.

Requires a degree to get a work visa, but generally the league players with a tertiary education and the league players willing to live in Japan would be an overlapping group, ey?

There are shitloads of Aussies teaching English in Japan, got a few mates doing it at the moment. Good pay for relatively easy work (if you like teaching).

Razor

Coach
TheFirstRabbitoh said:

Requires a degree to get a work visa, but generally the league players with a tertiary education and the league players willing to live in Japan would be an overlapping group, ey?

There are shitloads of Aussies teaching English in Japan, got a few mates doing it at the moment. Good pay for relatively easy work (if you like teaching).

But to teach English in Japan, I assume you'll have to be fluent in Japanese. I don't think to many players would be.

roopy

Referee
Razor said:
TheFirstRabbitoh said:

But to teach English in Japan, I assume you'll have to be fluent in Japanese. I don't think to many players would be.
You don't have to know Japanese.
I know people who have done it.
It is basically teaching spelling and grammar to people who already know a little english.

Razor

Coach
roopy said:
You don't have to know Japanese.
I know people who have done it.
It is basically teaching spelling and grammar to people who already know a little english.

Oh ok.

I know someone who did teach English but she was fluent in Japanese as well. She was teaching people who knew hardly any English and often needed to speak to them in Japanese.

You don't need to speak Japanese to get an English teaching job.

The really high paying jobs might prefer you did, but if you're going to work for NOVA or someone similar you don't need to speak a word.

The only thing you absolutely NEED is a degree (in anything) from an English-speaking university (it's one of the requirements to get a working visa to Japan). Being under 30 helps as well.

Finding English teaching work over there takes about 5 minutes if you're a native speaker.

And I've seen some absolute dolts get jobs.... Scary some of the people you meet travelling.