What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canada RL History

Houdini

First Grade
Just found a link from another thread directing me here.

My french is (very) limited but if you have something in english you want translated to french, I can have my dad take a look and translate it into french for you.

Just send me a PM of the text you want translated.

Cheers

D McColgan

Juniors
Houdini, thanks for the response.... Unfortunately I cannot PM yet as I am a newbie?...

What I would like to send is something like the following:

Dear Sirs,

In 1995 I represented Canada RL v France XIII in Montreal, this was an excellent opportunity for an emerging nation and I have extremely fond memories.

For many years I have attempted to track down a recording and believe that the French team had a tv crew recording the game.

I wanted to ask if there is such a recording in exsistance and if so would it possible to obtain a copy?

Kind Regards

Damian McColgan

Thanks in advance, Houdini......

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Damian, your best bet would be to contact one of the French members of the forum. Some are well connect with league in France and i'm sure could help you out.

D McColgan

Juniors
Sam, long story.....

I am from England (don't let change your opinion of me!) and went to Uni with the then Captain Andy Bradley (we are still good pals). I have family that are from Toronto/Ottawa hence why I was eligible. Andy and I worked on summer camps and played rugby in Canada during our breaks from Uni.

The other lads were mainly from St Catherines Uni (and Serge from Montreal, he was a pack in himself!) the main catalyst of RL in Canada at that time was the team of Kevin Malone and Dave Silcock... Canada (like the states) had then and now a fantastic opportunity to develop awesome league players and teams. At that time Canadian RL got very little support other than balls, kit and coaching manuals and that was mainly from the NRL. When France visited it was an awsome opportunity to put Canada the spotlight, unfortunately the support that was then received was limited and it appeared to stop the development. It was pleasing to then see the team being redeveloped in recent years. If Canada was given the financial support and strategy to develop the game at roots level it could be a force in years ahead I have no doubt about that.

Consider that a group of players with limited experience managed to put 34 points on a France team that had run New Zealand close in 2 tests!

Unfortunately for me it was the highlight of my rugby career! Managed to play at reserve level but a serious knee injury (acl) stopped any real opportunity. I am still involved coaching league and have a serious passion for the development of International Rugby League. Imagine a world cup with serious competition from North America!

Hopefully one day the Mounties ( the cougars sounds Hilarious now days, could you imagine!!) Will rise up the rankings and perform on the global stage.

Regards

deluded pom?

Coach
Hopefully one day the Mounties ( the cougars sounds Hilarious now days, could you imagine!!)

It's Wolverines now Damian. Thanks for the background stuff. Agree though, the rugby league community can't afford to let Canada down yet again or I fear the game there will be lost forever. Hopefully Canada and the USA, along with Jamaica, can drive each other onwards.

D McColgan

Juniors
Wolverines is good name....From looking at the Canadian RL website it appears that there is a serious structure being put together so hopefully that will bring success.

deluded pom?

Coach
Wolverines is good name....From looking at the Canadian RL website it appears that there is a serious structure being put together so hopefully that will bring success.

Yes, I think they are looking to get into the schools which is always a good place to help get the game established.

rugby_darren

Juniors
HI there

Could I ask Damian if I could have a scan of the france-canada programme sent to me via email? I managed to get a couple of programmes of canada v usa on ebay a few years ago, but have seen nothing since.
I live in England, and through a bit of fund raising, and getting things for the CRL to auction off, they raised enough money to from the London leopards, ( a team name I was allowed to choose, and I was the sponsor for the only year they existed).
Dave Silcock once told me the reason that the CRL folded was that Maurice Lindsay was to get involved with the CRL, but when super duper league was announced, then the CRL was not important to him anymore, which was unfair to all those involved with the CRL.

To Yakstrom: I have a copy of the team sheet for the first game ever played in Canada, I got it from an open rugby magazine, but I am struggling to get team sheets from other games, I also have squad lists for the 2 sevens tournaments that they played in. If you have gotten any info froma site on ANGELFIRE, that was my site, but I ran out of info and just decided to let it go.

many thanks